Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How good are ski wakes on Air Nautiques?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How good are ski wakes on Air Nautiques?
    Posted: December-19-2006 at 3:17pm
I currently own a '92 Ski Nautique but am thinking about a buying a newer boat. We need more room and a boat that skis and wakeboards well. My kids wakeboard but my wife and I still ski. My wife ski's at 15 off at about 30-32MPH. I ski 28 off at 34MPH. The 2000-2003 Air Nautiques (not the V drive) look like they are priced at about what I want to spend but I am concerned that the ski wake won't be that good. Does anyone have first hand experience skiing behind these boats? Thanks
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 4:15pm
Welcome to the sight. You know the rule, ski it before you buy it. That is really the only way to be sure you will be satisfied.

That said, I have skied behind a few Air Nautiques of the vintage you are looking. A lot depends upon what kind of load you are carrying in the boat. Lightly loaded, I think you will find the waterski wake above 30 mph to be comparable to your 92 Ski except at very short line lengths where you will experience more spray from the sport/air.

The Ski Nautiques handle like sport cars, and you will find the handling in the Air to be somewhat less responsive. Still good, but not a SN. I've also found the Air/Sport to be fairly weight sensitive. If you move a person side to side, it really moves the boat and wake shape. BKH
Livin' the Dream

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 4:30pm
I have had a 93' Ski and 99' Air, believe the Air/Sport hull was the same 99 thru 2002 - maybe 98 also, 2003 changed to the 216 & 206. Personally I thought the wake on the 99' TSC hull was better than the 93' Ski. Stay away from any Pro Airs with the TWC hull.

I currently own a 05' 206 with the TSC2 hull, WAY better slalom wake then the 99' and the wakeboard wake is pretty close to the same.
Think about including the 03' or 04' 206 in your search as well.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 11:52pm
quinner; Had a 206 the year they came out,'03. Awesome boat. Great wake and storage inside. Mrs jbear loved the open bow. I agree that this guy would love the up-grade from a '92 ski to a 206.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2006 at 9:28am
Thanks for the info. I suspected that the newer hulls with direct drive would have a better wake than my '92. It sounds like your experience confirms that. The 206 sounds like the way to go but I'll try and find an Air to try out as well.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2006 at 9:38am
jbear, I just looked at your '80 picture, very nice. You mentioned skiing a TVA lake in East TN. I bought my boat in East TN and learned to ski on several of those lakes. We lived on Boone and skied South Holston as much as possible. There was a perfect little ski cove with a course in it that I still have dreams about.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2006 at 10:48pm
desert: We have been skiing on Norris in Maynardville for 30 years. Used to be if we saw a ski boat we knew the owner. Lots more busy these days but still awesome. We usually spend the month of July at our trailer house at Hickory Star. Beautiful place. We are lucky to have been able to spend so many great years there.

Thanks for the "props" on the boat. I bought her off this site a couple years ago in the shape you see her.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2006 at 3:05pm
I love all Nautiques. Any one you buy will be awesome. So is your 92. Once you buy, post some pics for us!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
skifanatics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skifanatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 2:55pm
I use to own a 92 SNOB. I now own a 2001 Air Nautique. I ski at 15 off at about 32MPH and it's not bad. I do agree with bkhallpa$$ The Ski Nautiques handle like sport cars, and you will find the handling in the Air to be somewhat less responsive. But then again it is a bigger boat. I love the room. If you lived close I'd take you out. Love to find new people to ski with and can always use another drive
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2007 at 8:54pm
Quick question, so both the Sport and Air had the TSC hull for 200 right. Then the Super Sport/Air had the TWC hull. Am I correct on this?

79 was nice enough to point out a 2000 air with a python on ebay right here in my own back yard. I am waiting on a call from the owner, hopefully to set up a test drive this week end. I hope it is in better shape then the last one. Atleast I wont have to drive 14 hours for nothing. I did check the refference section it was not clear on this info.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2007 at 11:33pm
Sport and Air are the same boat. Add some graphics, ballast, and tower to a sport, and you have an air. Same boat. First TSC hull on the Sport/Air was 1998.

The Pro Air Nautique was the only boat to feature the TWC hull. It is a direct drive boat, and from the waterline up, the Pro Air looks identical to a the Sport/Air, with the exception that it says "Pro" on the side. The difference is in the running surface which includes a step in the hull and some lifting strakes designed to get the nose of the hull up, the stern down, and produce a better wakeboard wake.

The Super Sport/Super Air/Air 210 is a V Drive boat. The running surface of the hull was the same from 1995 through 2006. I do not believe it is either a TSC, or a TWC hull. It is actually much closer to the hull of an 82-89 SN. BKH
Livin' the Dream

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2007 at 1:50pm
Thanks BKH for the info. I thought the air and the sport shared the same hull just wanted to be sure.
carloscabanas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carloscabanas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2007 at 6:57pm
I've skied behind an air nautique and think of it as like skiing into a wall!! I presently ski benind a 93 snob! Maybe try a 211 crossover boat!

Carlos
Come and ski/wakeboard in Belize!! Check out my website!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2007 at 11:29am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

The Super Sport/Super Air/Air 210 is a V Drive boat. The running surface of the hull was the same from 1995 through 2006. I do not believe it is either a TSC, or a TWC hull. It is actually much closer to the hull of an 82-89 SN. BKH

BKH, Ive read that the Super Sport hull was actually very similar or the same as the 93-97 Sport Nautique hull. Not sure if thats true, but that Sport hull was very closely related to the 90-96 Ski Nautique.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2007 at 1:41pm
I've read the same thing Tim. I am not certain either. Visually, the running surface of the certainly looks similar to the 93-97 Sport. IMO the sterns visually looks very much like the 82-89 SN, and the wake characteristics are very much like 82-89 SN. Would be interesting to know the "exact answer." In any case, sounds like we can agree that the Super Sport is neither TWC or TSC. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic