Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

upholstery question ??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: upholstery question ??
    Posted: April-26-2024 at 9:30pm
I am actually putting new covers on my Seadoos but trust this site with my questions. I will be doing a boat at a later date.  Never used a pneumatic staple gun before and curious which model to purchase. From what I have found , it seems like a a staple gun that use 71 guage staples would be suffice . Curious -  will a 71 guage staple fasten a cover to hard plastic ? What length staples would be appropriate ?  Thanx in advance.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2024 at 4:08pm
I just finished replacing some skins in my boat, did coaming pads and observer seat arm rest.  The coaming pads were not an issue as a fairly soft composite board of some sort is the backing. I probably could have gotten by with my regular electric stapler.  The arm rest was a different story.  That is molded fiberglass.  Even the very experienced upholstery guy who made my skins said it can be a pain in the neck stapling into the fiberglass. I borrowed a conventional T50 pneumatic stapler and used 3/8 inch stainless staples.  The guy who loaned me the staple has a huge thoroughly outfitted shop and had a commercial compressor.  My upholstery guy said I would need about 80-90 psi to penetrate the fiberglass. Need enough to penetrate, but not so much to pierce the vinyl or crack the fiberglass.  Worked like a champ.  Went very smoothly/easily.  Ended up using that system for the coaming pads as well, as it worked better than my electric. 

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2024 at 8:21am
Larrys post-retirement 2nd career 
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2024 at 8:51am
Looks great..............and this time around he didn't have to return a piece to C&S to get a crookedly sewed cover replaced Wink

Top.....the crooked one
Bottom....cheaper local guy

Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2024 at 7:30pm
Yes - that is crooked. I pick the bottom one.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2024 at 12:41pm
Yup. The crooked one I did return to C&S, but they made it right in a very quick TAT, which was good since their backlog was like 6 months. I don’t know if the local guy is any cheaper but he does excellent work, on time and on budget. I had to send my engine box skin back to C&S as well, as they didn’t sew the carpet to it first time around. So it took a few seasons, but the redo of all my interior, which had all succumbed to the dreaded “pinking” is replaced. I did all the installs myself with the exception of the helm. I thought that was a little over my pay grade so the local guy did that whole thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic