Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet Drive slipping in forward

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
boatdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet Drive slipping in forward
    Posted: November-14-2023 at 8:20am
I recently rebuilt a 71c transmission.  Was working normally but was leaking from the input shaft seal.  The input shaft was pitted.  I had a machine shop put a sleeve on the part of the input shaft that the seal touches.  I broke the transmission down enough to take the input shaft to the machine shop but did not do anything with the clutch packs/drum.  When I reassembled, it would go into forward and reverse but it slips under load (going much more than idle speed).  Using new oil.  Oil level is good. No burned smell.  Forward, N, and R pressure are all about 132 psi. I have the transmission back out and have it down to what I did to take the input shaft out and cannot see anything obvious.  I'm thinking worn clutch packs but the transmission wasn't slipping until I "fixed" it.  Would appreciate any input.  Thank you.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2023 at 7:17pm
Quit fixin' what ain't broke

Does it slip in Forward only or Forward and Reverse?

What's a surgeon doing digging around inside an oily transmission?   Wink

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2023 at 5:39am
They far more often slip in reverse than in forward as an early sign of problems.  What oil did you use when you re-filled?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2023 at 8:33am
And how much total hours on the transmission/clutch pack?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2023 at 9:16am
Assuming it's only slipping in Forward like the title says, did you have the big convex forward clutch spring out and  is there any chance you put it back in upside down, which would make forward clutch engagement kinda tough as compared to the spring being in right.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2023 at 9:45am
The link below is a good disassembly video and you can continue on to part 2, the assembly video to double check what you may or may not have done Wink

link
boatdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2023 at 11:02am
Appreciate everyone's help.  I think I found the problem.  I noticed the snap ring holding the forward piston in the drum was not in the groove.  The forward piston had backed out of the drum just a fraction. The groove was exposed but not enough for the snap ring to fit. There was too much play/clearance in the clutch pack.  I took out the forward clutch pack and several of the fiber disks looked worn. I replaced the whole forward clutch pack with bronze friction plates and new steel plates. Got the forward piston pressed into the drum and the snap ring in the groove. Rest of transmission cleaned and reassembled. Plan to pressure test tonight and check for leaks. Can't really test for slipping until I take the boat back to the lake.  Will be back with an update after I test it. 

I use Dex III oil.  Was only slipping in forward. The forward piston return spring was oriented properly. If I mess something up, I can just take it apart and try again which doesn't always work with surgery.  Wink
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2023 at 11:22am
Outstanding, sounds like you found it
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2023 at 11:23am
Originally posted by boatdawg boatdawg wrote:

I use Dex III oil.  Was only slipping in forward. The forward piston return spring was oriented properly. If I mess something up, I can just take it apart and try again which doesn't always work with surgery.  Wink

Good point!  And, sounds like you are very good at taking it apart and re-assembling, which for me would be a bit of a challenge.

Glad you found the likely cause.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2023 at 1:07pm
Good job Doc

That snap ring would do it. The piston wouldn't be able to compress the spring and push the clutch plates together.

Hope you made sure you got all the tools out before you closed her up Wink
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2023 at 9:07am

I want to give thanks to Keno on giving that link on rebuilding a velvet drive tranny.  My boat has always had that “Dirty Neutral” that drives me crazy ever since I brought her. And I been hesitant to rebuilding and I didn’t want to send it out for I know I can do it.  I was taught to get your hands dirty and learn as you go, and I’m still that way. I attempted rebuilding an automotive transmission a long time ago on my first car and it didn’t go well. I tried reading from transmission manuals on rebuilding but they don’t show and tell you everything you will encounter along the way. And the tricks and tips to boot. But that was before the internet and You Tube. I’m confident I can do it now thanks to the videos. I have some major catching up to do so that project probably won’t happen till next winter if all my other projects (other than the boat) I have going on goes as plan.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic