Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extended pylon

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ks_cowboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ks_cowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extended pylon
    Posted: June-21-2005 at 11:09pm
I just found this website and am glad to see that it has a lot of the information i've been looking for. I have a 78 ski Nautique and plan on putting a tower on it next winter, so i am looking for a cheap temporary solution. I was thinking of building my own extended pylon. Is there any reason i shouldn't do this, i just can't justify spending what a new extended pylon would cost for a couple of months of use. I have looked for used ones, but they are all to expensive or the people don't want to ship them. What is the inside diameter of the extended pylons people use. It doesn't look like one will slip all the way to the floor because of the bend in the existing pylon. I know i will have to remove the eye, but that shouldn't be a problem because it apears to only be held by a couple of roll pins. Thanks in advance, Ross
delasoul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delasoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2005 at 5:08am
my 67 pylon is different and im finding it impossible to take the ring off. He's what i would do:

If the ring comes off see how much a replacement ball would be(maybe you don't need one) and buy a used pylon on ebay or somewhere, or else build your own which is possible.

If the ring does not come off check out flite pipe pylons that clamp onto the pylon.

I just bought a new fly high because the used pylons looked in rough condition and were going for 50 to 100 less then brand new. I might have to return it though if i can't get the ring off the pylon.

A new fly high pylon is about 400, and flite pipes are probably around 470 to 560 depending on what model you get. As i said before, used extension pylons are going for a decent resale so getting rid of one shouldn't be that difficult. It may be cheaper to just drop the 1195 (free shipping) on a monster tower if you have the money to drop now. I like the way they look, but then again I always see people with these custom beautiful towers that look better then monster towers. Check out the monster tower site though, they have some cool pictures on different boats.

Biggest suggestion on building one is find plans that simulate the fly high or air booms. A friend of my fathers used this homemade pylon on my boat and it looked rediculous strapped down in 4 different directions, and it still moved over some, looked like someone could get hurt using it or damage the boat if it fell over on a windshield. good luck with whatever you choose though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ks_cowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2005 at 6:41am
I plan on putting a monster, titan I, or building a custom tower for it this winter, I just don't currently have the funds. I can't justify spending $400 on what apears to be a pipe with a strap attached to it, when it looks like I could build one for under $100. Keep in mind I am only looking for a temporary solution. I only need a single piece pylon. If these are more complicated than they look please tell me, but it looks like i could build one almost identical to the popular ones for next to nothing. Thanks Ross
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2005 at 9:36pm
I would suggest not putting the single pylon in a boat with a ski pylon at all.

The amount of stress those take when wakeboarding is tremendous and can break the hull of your boat. They have the strap that wraps around the nose of your boat, which works fine when the boarder stays directly behind the boat. But if you go outside the wake the direction of pull is to the side, where there is no support from a strap or anything else. I suggest waiting untill you can afford the whole tower/rack set up.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 3:53pm
Where are you located in Kansas?

Yes, before I built my tower, I made my own extended pylon. I think I used a 3" pipe, it might have been 3.5", but it fit snuggly around the pylon whereas you could not remove it with anything but a pipe wrench. I then ran the bow ratchet and line to the front.

I did this for a summer with no problems. I have a place for you get the aluminum cheap, if you are in the same area.

I made my tower earlier this year, took about 2.5 days and $100. Check the thread in general discussion - "tower part 3"
ks_cowboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ks_cowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 5:13pm
I am in Lawrence, i appreciate the info, I am also thinking about building a tower, but don't have the time right now to do it, thanks, Ross
ks_cowboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ks_cowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 6:43pm
Jason i like the looks of the tower you built, that is similar to what i was thinking about doing, I love to know the location of your scapyard, because those are great prices. if you still have your extend pylon around, do you want to sell it? It would save me the time of building one and get it out of your way, Ross
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic