NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

converting to disc trailer brakes?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: converting to disc trailer brakes?
    Posted: June-03-2005 at 6:37pm
Now that my '93 is getting closer to being ready for the water, I am starting to also work on restoring the tandem axle trailer. Currently, the brakes are shot so I am considering converting to disc brakes from standard drums. Has anyone done this conversion? Or does anyone have disc brakes and if so, what are the pros and cons that you have experienced?
JAG View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2005 at 3:11am
I have done somne research on installing Discs on my 1990 trailer. Early models had some problems with warping but no-longer. They are a bolt-on retrofit. The caliper support will bolt directly to the existing backing plate mount on the the axle shaft. You will have to get flex brake lines to extend the existing lines to the the calipers. Check out Tie Down Eng at Tiedown.com for the latest in Stainless Steel discs.
Another suggestion is to flush out all of the old brake fluid and switch to a silicon based brake fluid. Unlike regular brake fluid this will not absorb water, is non-corrosive, and will keep seals like new for years. While your at it also check out oil filled hubs also available Tie Down and Liqualube Inc. Never grease a bearing again.   
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2005 at 3:50pm
I have decided to stay with drum brakes, but go with free backing drums as I cannot stand to have to use the backing lock-out feature on the coupler.

I could install a solenoid to allow for free backing (dumps fluid back to reservoir when backing), but too much trouble.

Thanks anyway.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2005 at 12:26pm
In the FWIW catagory: I just picked up a complete set of two drum brake assemblies (ready to bolt on including backing plate and wheel cylinder) for only $47.00/ea. These are the free backing drum setup that will eliminate having to use the back-up lock out feature on the coupler. I could not believe how cheap the complete assembly was...simply amazing. I picked them up from my local trailer manufacturer (Magnum) who I bet are not the cheapest around.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2005 at 4:25pm
David, i just changed out mine from the backing plates forward too. I think i paid $78 per side. Guess i shulda shopped a little more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic