Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

upgrades on a ’86 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
86_2001 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86_2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: upgrades on a ’86 2001
    Posted: April-19-2005 at 3:24am
I'm looking to make some upgrades to my '86. So far I've got a depth finder, ten foot pole, '99 style guages, removable platform brackets, bimini top, and a new motorbox cover from an '04 ski nautique.

I need to remove the ski eye from the pylon. Do I just drill out or punch out the pins that secure the ski eye? Will the ten foot pole even work with the pylon that has the bend in it?

Has anyone installed removable swim platform brackets in a 2001 model? Are the angles comparable? (I guess I could just line it up with the current setup)

I will be nice once I get everything done
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 3:46am
I think most people have taken a hacksaw to the ski ring. I have an 1984 Ski Nautique 2001 and it looks like that's what the previous owner did.
BUT, if it's possible to remove the ski plyons, I might be interested in trading with you. Has anybody tried this???
We don't wake board and it would be nice to be able to use the original plyon instead of having to stick the extended one on. I don't think there will be a problem with your 10' pole. My pylon is curved and my Skylon fits with no problems. There is a 3-4 inch band of carpet wrapped around the pylon that I guess is there for a tight fit and so the pole doesn't rattle.
If you're interested in a trade, email me:
pearce.james@sbcglobal.net

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 10:55am
I've got a removable platform on my 88' and the holes in the hull line up with the new brackets. You will have to drill new ones in the platform as they do not line up. Two thumb screws on the outer brackets and the hole things slide up and off. Nice for keeping my baby in the garage.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
hyper1685 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyper1685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 2:46pm
i took my ski ring off my 86. you have to punch out the 2 pins, and then stick something through the ring to rotate it out of the pylon. i had to use a 4 foot metal pole to rotate the ring while pulling up. it is suborn but it will come off. took me 15 minutes of twisting to get it.

Chris
86_2001 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86_2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 3:22pm
hyper1685--thanks for the help on the ski eye. I thought that is what I would have to do, just didn't know if I would be wasting my time attempting it.

Morfoot--did your old platform have 4 brackets or two? Mine has 4. I am thinking of replacing the outer 2 with removable brackets and just taking the screws out of the platform for the middle two and leaving them on for some support.

jimbo--thanks for the offer, but I'd rather find a way to make the eye removable, so I can put it back in.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 3:41pm
You can try and have a machine shop drill out the cores of the pylon to release the ring. I tried to drill mine out and and went through every kind of drill bit you can imagine. But on another 83' I have tapped them out just fine. It's strange. But I ended up.. gulp.. sawing it off. It's a brass ring and easy to do. You can then have someone drill out the brass and have a welder put on a trailer ball or something of that sort. (or custom...) But any pole will fit then. I used a skylon for years.   If you don't want to cut the ring or deal with it, buy the Pole out of Inboard Marine catalog. It clamps onto the pole.. adds some inches to your front, minus leg room, possible cooler access!, and it's $745 or some insane number.

As for the brackets, i have looked around for awhile. Pulling the 16 screws out for storage to release the platform is a pain. But you have to look at hole in the transom you would need, holes in the teak you would need, etc. It might not be worth it, but I have seen it done somewhere.
I retired my 84 (posted here somewhere) and upgraded to a 92... miss the 84, but love the 92 SNOB.

Any questions on the 2001's... let me know.. I know these things inside and out...

cheer
tc
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2005 at 6:38pm
86_2001,
Do you have any of the orginal parts from your '86? I'd take any guages, dash pannel, anything that is in good shape that was orginial in '86.

Thanks,
Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2005 at 6:41pm
FYI - if you were to remove the ring without damaging it, I'm sure you could sell it on the site for some good $$$. For those who want them, they are hard to come by.

Also, Midwest Correct Craft sells the 'ball' for the ski pylon from the 87-89 style 2001. Would fit right where the ring was removed.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2005 at 11:38pm
86-2001,
If you got a few x-tra bucks, install pointless ingition,8mm wires, platinum plugs and an Acme prop. When I did it to my 86, it was like a new boat. Throttle response,hole shot and top end was phenominal. SkiDIM will hook you up. Talk to Richard
Happy running, DAWG 99NSS
Dawg
86-2001 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86-2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2005 at 3:05am
I finally got the boat out yesterday. It handles real well. I haven't gotten to work on the upgrades, because I am now working on getting my house ready to sell.
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2005 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

86-2001,
If you got a few x-tra bucks, install pointless ingition,8mm wires, platinum plugs and an Acme prop. When I did it to my 86, it was like a new boat. Throttle response,hole shot and top end was phenominal. SkiDIM will hook you up. Talk to Richard
Happy running, DAWG 99NSS
Brian
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2005 at 5:36pm
Dawg,

How difficult was it to replace the ignition?

Your post is timely, I have in my basement a new acme prop, 8MM wires, cap, rotor, coil, and breakerless ignition conversion all for my 86. Just wondering how the ingition conversion went and how much time you spend doing it. It looks like a job that should take less the 1 hour.
Brian
delasoul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delasoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2005 at 2:55am
I am installing a fly high pylon and removing the original ring. By following the suggestions there should be pins that need to be punched out. a few questions I have on removing the original pylon ring...

1.Is the ring itself threaded at all? I would assume not because it wouldn't stay straight when first installed.

2.Is this the pin that needs to be punched and if there are 2 of them where would the other one be located? I see a few towards the bottom base but i'd assume they are holding on the bottom brass piece. I brushed off some of the paint in hopes of finding another pin.

3.About how far down does the ring go through the pylon?

4.Any recommendations on how to punch it out? Won't tap out but i have access to a machine, it appears that the pin goes all the way through.

5.Are all pylons bent at the bottom? Im sure it will work fine with the fly high that I am installing.

6.Any links to a replacement ball, or anything recommended?

Just trying to get it out without damaging the original ring thats already 38 years old as far as i know. Thanks for the help!

Pylon Picture

Medium Shot of where one found pin is

Close up of the pin that needs to be punched?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2005 at 1:34pm
I would think that the pin in question is located at the base of the ring (not where you indicate).
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2005 at 1:35pm
delasoul,
The above details for removing the ring are for the solid aluminum pole use from the mid 70's through 1986.

Your tapered (or step) pylon is different. I don't have experience with your type of pylon but you might be better off getting a entire new pole.

A fly high pole will not be tapered but rather designed to fit around a consistent 2.5" diameter pylon (which yours is not). You might find a considerable about of 'play' when you stick the fly high pole over that pylon.

I know of at least two people looking for late 60's pylons on the site. You most likely could sell yours to them and then find a more suitable replacement for you needs. It's too bad but I just sold a straight pylon out of an 1979 error Correct Craft that would have worked perfectly for you.

To answer your question, Mid-west Correct Craft has the replacement 'ball' you mentioned (again, designed for the mid 70's - '86 pylon). Call them and ask for Dennis or Bruce in parts.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Darrel View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2005 at 3:29pm
A "Flight-Pipe" pylon clamps onto the existing pylon w/ ring. It is a lot less work and keeps original pylon original. Just another option.
jcawley3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcawley3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2005 at 6:05pm
just get a flite pipe. I have one and love it when its not in use you still have the original look of the ring......they are a little more expensive but worth it
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2005 at 1:18pm
86_2001,
I have a ring-less 2 1/2" plyon from an '86 Ski Nautique (with the bend) that was cut (not by me) to fit an Air Boom extended pylon. It's in very good condition.

If you haven't removed your ring yet, I would swap it for yours.

Let me know if you're interested.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
'86 2001 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '86 2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 4:01am
I got the 2 pins(holding the ski eye) punched out today and installed my bimini top to fit with the ten foot pole. I am saving the ski eye for future use. It was easy to puch out the pins using a hammer and punch. Actually I didn't have a punch, but I did have a hinge pin that worked fine. I used a little corrosion block to loosen things up.

I installed a depth finder and will be testing everything out tommorrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic