Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPS Speedo?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
91SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS Speedo?
    Posted: November-23-2008 at 8:46pm
anyone used a GPS speedo?

are they any good/ accurate?
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 8:49am
I use only Perfect Pass. I imagine the cost of a digital speedo is very close to the cost of a Perfect Pass 6.5ng system. Still get digital display of speed plus speed control.

If you are really spendy, you can go with Stargazer. I know Stargazer is spot on in the slalom course.

Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 1:42pm
In what regard are you looking to use a GPS Speedo. Is it as part of Perfect Pass/speed control or just for speed reference?

In Billy's Redneck Perfect Pass thread, I posted information about a GPS receiver designed to drive analog electric speedometer.

Still hoping to put this into the Classic this spring.
91SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 5:58pm
speed references - not convinced my speedos are that good any more, looking for a quick fix!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 6:16pm
You know theyre adjustable, right? Ive actually found all of my Airguides to be pretty darn accurate- both at skiing speeds and top end. You do need something reliable to verify them against though. Either borrow a handheld GPS receiver, or time yourself through the slalom course.
ski196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 11:36am
If you are just looking for a GPS speedo, we have used the Livorsi GPS "ski" model in our show ski boats for several years. Units are accurate and very reliable.
Here is the link:
http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/gps.htm
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 8:57pm
If you use a GPS Speedo & are on a river with current, won't you have different water speed upstream vs downstream?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If you use a GPS Speedo & are on a river with current, won't you have different water speed upstream vs downstream?

Yes but if you are skiing a course and the bouys are anchored down your still cool, now if you are free skiing or boarding then it will feel different and you might as well adjust speed for it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2008 at 9:43pm
I've used my portable to double check my airgluides, it seems to be right on. It also give you a nice lake map.

But it doesn't tell you where the sand bars are at. LOL
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic