Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop Cavitation?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bradley950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop Cavitation?
    Posted: February-12-2005 at 2:29pm
What is prop cavitation? What causes it?
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2005 at 2:48pm
the formation of "voids"or air inside the water stream.caused by low pressure near a surface.encountered when the water seperates from the propeller.
also called "ventilation";causes propeller burn[don't ask cause i don't know]and can lead to "blow-out"that means the prop is grabbing air it lose's it's bite.
kenny g
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2005 at 12:35pm
Cavitation as explained above can be caused by many things. I am not an expert, but here is what I think:

1. To much power on the wrong prop. In other words, spinning the prop too fast during acceleration.
2. Cupping the trailing edge of the prop blade helps reduce cavitation.
3. Bent or damage prop blades can cause cavitation.

Cavitation can be felt in the boat as a severe vibration. It should be avoided as it can cause damage...even to the bottom of the hull just above the prop... sort of like sandblasting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic