NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reccomendation on best repair book?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reccomendation on best repair book?
    Posted: July-08-2008 at 4:35pm
Makes sense.

The debate was always more of a VW -vs- MG sort of thing when I was growing up. We liked our small 4 bangers -- they had a lot of character for the amount of cash, but also prove to be the limit of my limited mechanical perspective.

My first was a 71 Super Beetle, then had a 72 Kombi, also had a 76 MGB for a short while.

livin', lovin', lovin' livin'
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 3:32pm
The Chevy insignia is shaped somewhat like a "bowtie".

Ford is a "Blue Oval".

Just slang nomenclature referring to each companies insignia.

Spend some time in respective hotrodding forums or reading any number of modding type magazines (Hod Rod, Car Craft, etc.) and you'll understand.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 2:30pm
Thanks BF100

that book looks good -- amazon has em'

what is the origin of bowtie = Chevy ?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by MADTOWN78 MADTOWN78 wrote:

Stroked I guess???

Talk to HW or Quinner about that one.

bow = bowtie = Chevy. I would imagine there would be a LOT of repair books for them.
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 1:41pm
Stroked I guess???

what does "bow" mean.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 1:34pm
would you rather be stroked or injected?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 12:04pm
I have a book that is awesome. It's called "Small Block Chevy Marine Performance" by Dennis Moore. It's published by HP Books. I heard that this is out of print so you may have trouble finding it. You could still probably find it at Amazon or some other place like that. It takes you through the basics of the 350. From carbs, cams, intakes, heads, blocks and everything in between and it explains the differences between marine and automotive applications. It talks about modding a marine specific SBC and even has specific details (including many OEM and aftermarket part numbers) on what is needed to rebuild a standard 350 to building a very bad ass 383 stroker motor. I assure you that you won't be disappointed in it if you can find it someplace.

Another book that would be a very good investment is one about Holley carbs. There are a number of them out there that take you through basic fundamentals of each part of a carb through completely rebuilding one. Very much worth the time to read.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 11:05am
I used a Hayne's Techbook called Chevrolet Engine Overhaul Manual. It covers the BB and SB and is pretty good. The best 'book' though, is this site!

Edit, the book above is car specific and has to be adapted. I also got the PCM engine manual; it covers several engines, ford and chevy and is where most of my specs came from.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 10:38am
i dont even know if a repair manual exists for a bow
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 3:31am
If you cannot find it and need help shoot me an E Mail s I am on the North side of town.My last boat was a 79 with a 350 Chevy.Have you checked the reference section here ?
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 12:01am
Hey guys -- I wanted to know what everyones opinion on the best book to learn about my chevy 350 is?

I would like to become more versed in understanding all of the ins/outs of the mechanics of my specific boat. I would like to find a book that explains it all -- if one exists.

Your thoughts?
thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic