Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Re-Gel Coating hull

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
63classic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re-Gel Coating hull
    Posted: October-16-2004 at 12:48am
I am considering a re-Gel Coat job on our '63 Classic. Can anyone explain briefly the process, what the general cost could be and any shops that do it in the eastern Massachsetts area.

Thanks!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2004 at 3:35pm
The process is similiar to painting the hull, yet much more labor intensive. Gelcoat does not lay down like paint after spraying and hence has severe orange peel. Consequently, after spraying the gelcoat on, it must be sanded smooth starting with 120, 220, 320, 400 (wet), 600 (wet) and finally course machine applied compound. Gelcoat is much harder than paint and thus the labor to sand out is not insignificant. Do not forget the labor to sand the existing gelcoat so the new will stick. Also, the technique to spray gelcoat differs from paint, but too much detail to get into here.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2004 at 4:20pm
I had a marina give me a quote to re-gelcoat the hull about 13 years ago for $1,200. That was for the sides and bottom. So I decided to repaint it myself and the materials cost $173.
Tim D
63classic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2004 at 2:43am
Thanks guys! Maybe paint is the way to go. I'm concerned about the cracks in the existing outside gelcoat. If I repaint will it cover exisiting cracks? Are these cracks something I should be concerned about?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2004 at 12:39pm
I think the paint will bridge the existing cracks, but the question is whether or not the cracks will redevelope through the new paint in short order. I do not have the answer unfortunately as I have only repaired the cracks with new gelcoat. When using gelcoat, the cracks must be sanded out or they will reappear in short order.

If you understand why the cracks are there, it may help you decide what to do if painting the hull. Gelcoat is hard and brittle, whereas paint is not. When the hull flexs excessively, the gelcoat cracks. If you put gelcoat over the crack, it will not crack again due to the thin application. However, paint may be flexible enough to resist this tendancy.

If the cracking is limited to relatively small areas, you could sound off the existing cracked gelcoat then use polyester body putty (aka Bondo) to fair out the surface prior to painting.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2004 at 8:59pm
I don't have much experience here but I've been reading a book called "The Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual" by Allan H. Vaitses.   I've learned a lot from the book and recommend it. He recommends painting instead of new gel coat for large areas. He also recommends Bondo.   He says it's easier to work with, especially sanding.
On the subject of cracks, if they are the stress type of cracks (as opposed to the oops type of cracks) Vaitses recommends reinforcing the area with more fiberglass on the inside of the hull to prevent the problem from re-occuring. Sounds resonable to me. Any ideas here?

I'm curious why you are planning to re-gel coat. If you just have a few spots to repair, someone posted a link for a company that sells color matched gelcoat (minicraft.com). I have no experience with them. If it's because the color is stained or faded, would wet sanding work?
I'm giving my 84 SN a make-over this winter.

ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2004 at 3:45pm
63 Classic,
I have a 64 Ski Nautique the is covered in spider cracks on the top and hull. This is the nature of this old gel coat. I talked to someone at Correct Craft while I was in Orlando last May. He told me the only way to re gel coat this boat is to take all of the gel coat off all the way to the fiberglass mat and then start with the gel coating process. He said he is in the process of doing this to his 64 Ski Nautique and would not suggest this job to anyone else. He said this has been a massive and expensive undertaking.

As for the paint, the cracks will show through. I asked him about using body filler on the top and hull and then paint. He said you will not get a good look that will last. If you did paint it, the cracks would hold wax if you ever waxed it at a later date.I talked to Reid Pinkman about this earlier this year. He has several of these boats from this era. HE said they call these boats 10 yarders. He said they look good from 10 yards away.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
63classic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2004 at 3:03am
Many thanks to all for the excellent info!

Maybe I'll just leave the cracks. They don't appear to be structural, simply cosmetic. I may just repaint at some other time if they become greater in number. Until then we will just enjoy the boat for what it is: a fun inboard with some decent horsepower. (302 ford 4bbl, Nicson exhaust, Warner velvet drive.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic