Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

94 or 91?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 94 or 91?
    Posted: September-21-2007 at 2:11pm
I'm looking at a couple boats, and have never owned any of the newer boats. I'm looking at a 94 ski Nautique and a 91 Ski Nautique. They are both in good shape the 91 is a little nicer and more loaded with options.

From what I have read I think these boats are the   same hull in the water but have some cosmetic differences above water. Also the same in the engine box. Am I right about this?

Any Opinions on pros or cons between these two boats?
Work to live, not live to work.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 2:22pm
The '94 wont have any wood in it (they went to composite stringers in '93). Youre correct that the hulls are the same- so they'll ski very similar. The '94 will have a few nice features that the '91 wont have- including a teflon coated pylon (reduces wear on the rope), removable middle cushion on the back seat, tilt steering wheel, etc. Youve noted the styling differences (the '94 has some rounded edges, the rounded windshield, different gel pattern etc). I prefer the classic styling of the 90-93, but thats just me.

There may be motor differences. Both were available with the 240/255hp 351w with Protec and the 1.23 tranny. (There were some 240hp 1:1 boats, but they are rare- so check.) The HO motor was also available in '94 (first offered in '92). If it has the ProBoss labels and the GT40 heads, it will be up 45hp and be a stronger performer.
93SNautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93SNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 2:30pm
Wasnt '94 also the first year they offered TBI instead of the carb? I think the major issues to consider between the two years are;
wood stringers vs fiberglass
carb vs injection (if 94 it has it)
points vs Protec (if 94 has it)
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 2:38pm
94 was the first year of the throttle body injected engine. I have read on here and been told by my dealer that there may have been some minor issues with it that you might want to consider if it has the TBI engine.

A member of our ski club has a 91 in pristine shape. Skis and drives like a dream!

/edit. Here's a good thread about the 94 TBI.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by 93SNautique 93SNautique wrote:

Wasnt '94 also the first year they offered TBI instead of the carb? I think the major issues to consider between the two years are;
wood stringers vs fiberglass
carb vs injection (if 94 it has it)
points vs Protec (if 94 has it)

Correct. The TBI motor was offered in '94. Both boats are likely to have the ProTec. With the exception of the base 240hp/1:1 combo, all motors had it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 3:21pm
ProTec, ProSki, ProBoss, TBI, MPI, GT, HO god damn all that crap is confusing!

I like CARB and DIST much better.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 3:23pm
Brings to mind;
If you can't dazzle with Data;
baffle them with Bull Sh#t....
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 5:39pm
Thanks guys. Both boats came with the pro tech, but the 91 says it has been upgraded to a newer better system. The owner says the pro tech was rougher starting.

I like the styling on the 91 better as well, and I think this boat has better colors than the 94 I'm looking at. The 91 also comes with perfect pass, depth sounder, and a newer sound system.
The 94 seems to be a pretty base boat. If the performance is the same I will probably go for the 91. Are the composite stringers in the 94 holding up well for folks? Any advantages of wood compared composite?

I would appreciate any more comments of performance differences.

Thanks
Gabe

93SNautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93SNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 6:01pm
Read the 1993 Brochure in the Reference section to hear Correct Crafts description of the fiberglass stringers. That is the year they first introduced them. I have never heard about any kind of composite stringer failure. Anyone else?

How many hours are on the 91 and 94?
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 6:24pm
Yeh, I looked at the brochure and saw what CC said. I'm wondering what the teat of time has proved?

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 6:29pm
Overall condition is really important but having no wood is a HUGE plus in my opinion. I'm pretty bad about worrying about stuff on the boat, so to be able to cross "Boat possibly rotting" off the list is a huge plus for me. I believe the argument FOR wood is the vibration absorbing abilities of wood, but the newer boats are smooth and quiet so I'd imagine that argument doesn't carry much weight.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 8:50pm
go with the newer boat..its newer for one, and has composite stringers..to some people perfect pass is a must have, i thinks its unecessary for most...depth sounder is only 100 brand new..as far as the motors i have a 94 with the pro tec pro boss motor and think its great..no problems at all. remember to pay someone or pay yourself to do an overhaul on the stringers is big money..what matters most is what you want
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 9:32pm
I replaced my floor and stringers in my 73 CeeBee Avenger........... I swore I would never do that kind of job again !!!

GO WITH COMPOSITE
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 1:38am
If you like the classic old look, stay with what you have! The 94 is your choice. Although I have to admit, the PP is a bonus.

Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 3:08am
I took a close look at 94 yesterday and I'm a little confused about what I saw. The motor is a Ford 351 by PCM, but has a Holly Carb on it. I thought every thing in that era was fuel injected? I was expecting the large red plastic cover on top the engine, but what I found is a black square plastic thing covering the spark arrestor on the carb. The valve covers are red and say PCM on them. Also the prop looks smaller than what I expected.
The seller is the original owner of the boat and says he has not had any thing changed. The boat has a little over 400 hours and he says he has had only oil changes and tune ups.
I am I looking at a very base package?
Any feed back on this motor?

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 11:40am
Look closely at the motor....the throtle body looks just like a carb....square thing sitting on top of the intake. It doesnt have 8 injectors like a "modern" FI. I vote for the 94...I have a 95SNOB and am very happy with it. I like the rounded hull.

e
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by 79Tique 79Tique wrote:

I took a close look at 94 yesterday and I'm a little confused about what I saw. The motor is a Ford 351 by PCM, but has a Holly Carb on it. I thought every thing in that era was fuel injected? I was expecting the large red plastic cover on top the engine, but what I found is a black square plastic thing covering the spark arrestor on the carb. The valve covers are red and say PCM on them. Also the prop looks smaller than what I expected.
The seller is the original owner of the boat and says he has not had any thing changed. The boat has a little over 400 hours and he says he has had only oil changes and tune ups.
I am I looking at a very base package?
Any feed back on this motor?

Sounds like a stock carbed setup to me. Seems like a really nice boat! The carbed motor was definitely an option at that time.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 1:18pm
79- i have a 1994 and it has a holley 650 4 barrel carb on it..the motor i have is the so callled pro boss h.o w/pro tec...has the gt 40 heads etc etc..my motor cover is very large and says 5.8 h.o. pro boss on it..sounds like that motor is the base 265 hp carbed motor from the cover you described..the base had that cover..still plenty of power..not a huge diff between 265 and 300 unless your a big time barefootr..those are the correct valve covers and im sure its the stock prop..theey are not that big to begin with..its only a 19 ft boat
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 1:08am
Larry, my 95 is a carbed HO proboss w/gt40 heads. All my paper work says 300+ hp.
BTW: this is an old pic and everyone here yelled at me to get that Fram oil filter off there...which I have!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 3:07am
It's not a throttle body it's a Holley carb, but other folks have told me they are happy with that 265hp set up as well. I'm going to make the decision this week. I like the look of the 91 and the pp system but every thing els tells me to go with the 94.
Keep posting any more suggestions because I'm having trouble deciding.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by ryanandrews ryanandrews wrote:

79- i have a 1994 and it has a holley 650 4 barrel carb on it....not a huge diff between 265 and 300 unless your a big time barefootr..

All carb'd PCM 351w's came with 600CFM Holley's. The base motors were rated either 240 or 255 hp (depending on whose literature you read), while the HO motors were rated at either 285, 290 or 300 (again, marketing differences, not hardware).   The engines rated at ~260 were the Proski (non-HO TBI). But I digress...

Personally, I have a strong preference for the classic graphics on the '91. If there are no soft spots in the floor and all the bolts going into the stringers are tight, I would have no problem purchasing the boat. Check the motor mounts as well as the bolts holding the angled aluminum that supports the rear floor (you need to remove the engine box and back seat to remove the panel). If the '91 is in better condition with more features than the '94 for the same price, then I would go with the '91. Both boats will ski the same, and besides the composite construction, the difference are pretty minor. The '91 having converted from the Protec is a plus, as is the PerfectPass (a $1k+ option if you were to add it later). Also inspect the interiors very closely. There is $2k-3k worth of vinyl in there, so if anything needs to be recovered on either boat, the cost can add up quick.

If the '94 has the HO motor, that would make the decision a little harder. The base motor pulls plenty strong, but the top end is lacking if you do much barefooting. It will get the job done, but expect it to top out around 41 with a footer in tow. Add 3-4 MPH with the HO motor. Of course, you can easily add the heads to the base motor if youre so inclined.

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 8:50pm
Thanks for all the input. I was ready to go buy the 94 this week when a guy I work with changed my mind by offering to sell me his 96. The best part of this is he wants my 79 Ski Tique and 6K for it. His boat has about 400 hours on it. I still need to go look at his boat but I think it's loaded with all the options I want.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 11:27pm
trb-i thought that the base was 265 and the ho motors were 300+..correct 600 on the carb

im looking in my owners manual and its states this about engine horsepower model plb=190 pl&rc= 215 pl&rd= 240 and model pl&rp =285..says nothing about 300 hp. yet, the sales brochure says the 5.8 pro boss 300+ hp engines..
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 2:10am
Whoa Larry. A 96 now? That's great. Keep us posted...
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 2:14am
Who's Larry?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 11:41am
Originally posted by ryanandrews ryanandrews wrote:

trb-i thought that the base was 265 and the ho motors were 300+..correct 600 on the carb

im looking in my owners manual and its states this about engine horsepower model plb=190 pl&rc= 215 pl&rd= 240 and model pl&rp =285..says nothing about 300 hp. yet, the sales brochure says the 5.8 pro boss 300+ hp engines..

Like I said above, the base PCM 351 was rated at either 240 or 255 hp, depending on whose literature you read- PCM or Correct Craft. Ive seen the HO motor rated at 285, 290 and 300+ hp. Again, there are no differences that I know of to account for the different rating, other than marketing of course.

I think The Dude is confusing 79Tique with Larry (75Tique).
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 11:57am
The Dude is very confused.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 1:15pm
Does this mean I'm not getting a nice new 96?
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2007 at 6:06pm
You may have it if you want. I took it out on the the lake last night and it has a cracked block!
Ran like sh*t, but looked nice. I told the guy selling/ trading and he claimed not to know about it saying he had not used the boat this summer. I let it go, but said I was not interested in the boat. Told him he could buy my Tique if he wanted
and he might.
I'm gonna make an offer on the 94 today. By the way the 94 is one of the "240" hp with the 1:1 trany that you guy's mentioned. I'm a bit excited about it though as it seems to be in great shape and it's tech that I know about.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2007 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by 79Tique 79Tique wrote:

I'm gonna make an offer on the 94 today. By the way the 94 is one of the "240" hp with the 1:1 trany that you guy's mentioned. I'm a bit excited about it though as it seems to be in great shape and it's tech that I know about.

Ive only seen 1 other '94 with the 240/1:1 combo, and its a pretty basic boat. No back seat, combing pads, or vinyl on the motorbox. Just be aware that those things can be $$$ to replace- and the backseat is not available at all if it doesnt have one. The 1.23 is definitely better out of the hole, but otherwise, the boat drives and skis great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic