NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPS recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS recommendation
    Posted: May-04-2007 at 9:57am
Can anyone recommend a GPS that has maps out lakes, shows current water depth and displays MPH? I will be exploring many new lakes and rivers this year and a GPS would be really helpful.

An older model would be great as I would like to buy used on eBay.

Also, anyone have one for sale?
85Nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 11:51am
I bought a Handheld GPS unit last year because my Speedos where not working because we get so much growth in the water tons of grass, I was original going to load maps and use it the same way as you described but the mapping software is big bucks 100-200 dollars and then you have to load them on a XD flash miniclip from you computer I just gave up fixed my Speedo’s the next week. P.S a waste of 200 bucks. Maybe you will have better luck

I think I bought the garmin explorist 500... It doesn't come with software/ maps
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2007 at 1:12pm
I guess what I am looking for is a Chartplotter. Some of these things are really elaborate. I need something simple and affordable.

Anyone have any recommendations for one that is to be used on inland lakes and rivers?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2007 at 11:17pm
Raindog,Magellan "sportrak pro" don't know about your lakes but mine are there with no downloading or buying the CD or software.
It also shows some of the small lakes i did not even know were there.Have owned several GPS units,the E Trex is what i use for hunting and general guidance. The Sportak is used for racing lakes and offshore on Hobie Cats, lottsa info and good mapping ,price is not bad and they are easy on batteries...............boat dr
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2007 at 10:56am
what happened to the sailor in you, use the stars sun and moon
"the things you own will start to own you"
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2007 at 11:19am
I don't think the sun moon and stars will do that good of a job protecting the $800 I just spent on prop, drive shaft and coupler, strut bearing, etc. But then, that might take away a little business, eh Eric....

The real reason, my classic does not have a speedo or depth gauge. I don't want to cut her up to put that stuff in the dash, but I want the info. Also, we are looking to explore a lot of rivers and flowages which can get pretty confusing after a long day of, ahem, fun in the sun.

Besides, the sextant is a bit rusty, anyways.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic