NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

75 SW Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2024 at 8:36am
Looking good and glad you had a chance to splash it.  Sounds like you are close to having a running boat in a lake!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
DenDen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenDen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2024 at 8:35pm
From the pictures it sure looks like there’s no wires on it.
And I can’t find a picture that shows it being wired.
I will check tomorrow and see as I know it was wired before.

DenDen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenDen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2024 at 12:53am
Boat is nearly done. Waiting on Ski pole.
Went for a break-in run couple weeks ago. ran around for about an hour and a half.
Everything is fine, motor pulls real strong. Has a slight stumble in about 1750 on acceleration. Nothing serious a few adjustments should take care of that.
Took two speedometers and both failed us so I could get no reading on speed. Prop does not seem too far off, but will easily overspeed engine.
Next time out, I will take good pictures and videos to post and I’m sure be discussing the prop change.
Felt bad about disturbing the fisherman on a nice Friday afternoon.
She’s pretty loud!!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2024 at 11:43am
Friday afternoon fishermen kind of expect it I think, at least you aren't putting up mountains of waves like a wake boat.  I always try to stay away from morning fishermen when we ski early.

Checking speed with gps and assuming your tach is accurate seeing speed vs. rpm will tell the story on the prop.  When you say it easily overspeeds the engine, what rpm were you seeing?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
DenDen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenDen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2024 at 11:45pm
It would easily rev to 5000.
If I did not get out of it, it would’ve passed that and kept going I think.
But again, I don’t know how fast we’re going
If I had to guess I would say at least 45 mph
Next trip out, I will get some exact readings on both RPM and speed.
DenDen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenDen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2024 at 3:52am
Got the boat out again after putting larger jets and a different power valve in the holly.
Boat ran unbelievably well.
No matter what we did, we could not cause it to stumble or hesitate or even think of misbehaving a little in anyway.
Got some videos and took a few pics
Anyway, the bottom line is it’s like riding around in first gear or third anyway You get the idea it’s geared pretty low
If you run up to 5000 and stop there and let it ride just a little while you’re going 45 MPH. There is plenty of throttle left after that
So obviously, I need a different prop.
Can anyone make some suggestions as to which prop and where to get it?

picture upload

Here are a couple of pictures to show how good the hull turned out. Really can’t explain it, but those cracks seem to disappear?
I’m sure they’re probably back.
I would love to post videos, but don’t know how and I’ve not seen any on here so I guess it’s not possible

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2024 at 8:46am
Den

If you want the people who night normally give you a recommendation, you should probably start a new thread with a clever title like " I need a prop for my Southwind on steroids"  Wink

Then you should say that it's probably about 300 to 320 HP, reverse rotation and right now has a 13X13 Ellis.

Then you'll probably get asked if you're sure the tach and speed readings are right

Then maybe there'll be a request for a picture of your prop, strut and rudder all installed  on the boat to see what you have for clearances.

I thought I'd save you the trouble with the picture, here's one from earlier in this thread. It shows prop to hull clearance of about 1 to 1.5 inches as a guess. The thumbrule is about 10% of the prop diameter, that would be 1.3 inches.

It also shows lots of distance between the strut and the prop, that's how CC built it back then.

People would say to shorten it, but if you were to do that, the prop and hull clearance would be real small or non existent.

Most people are trying to pick up some RPMs and would get something like an Acme 540, but in your case, wanting to load the engine more to bring down the RPMs, you'd want something like an Acme 430.

It's a 13x13 prop and you're probably thinking the Ellis is a 13X13 so why would I get one of those?

The CNC machined Acme props have a lot more blade area. It'll look huge compared to your Ellis prop and drag your RPM's down by a few hundred or so.

If you wanted to knock down the RPM's some more and Acme 1598 is a 13X14 CNC prop, but that might be lugging the engine too much.

Besides Vortec heads like RPM and 5000  at full throttle is kinda like their happy zone 

I'll vote for an Acme 430 to knock your RPMs down and make it more of a cruisin' boat that feels like you shifted to "high gear"

There are a few other choices too

Maybe you'll get some different opinions

67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2024 at 9:18am
Awesome. The decals are perfect
Getting pretty jealous of all you guys finishing and getting in water
Do you like the bigger ski nautique
DenDen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenDen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2024 at 2:47pm

This is a picture of what the prop and writer actually look like. The one that Ken shows the shaft was not hooked through the transmission at that time.
I am going to start another thread for this prop issue as it seems it might be getting complicated
So check out” Prop help for my Southwind on steroids”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic