NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boom turnbuckles eliminated

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boom turnbuckles eliminated
    Posted: July-25-2023 at 8:07am
This topic may have been covered before but i fairly recently did my cables and heres what i used and how it went. "Recently" as in im going on my 3rd season with this setup with no hiccups. 
Parts sourced from mcmaster. 
For the cable ends on the boom side i simply slipped a stainless nut that i had ground down to fit the holes in the boom.  And welded it to the cable end. 
And for the boat end i wanted adjustability before permanently crimping it. But these clamps worked out so well i will be leaving them. 
Clamps:
Cable:

Old setup:

Nut fit to cable on boom end:

Welded:
Clamps installed:

Turnbuckles eliminated:

This change cost me less than $150 and was a huge improvement in our experience while using the boom with new people. 
Worth mentioning if anyone in the northeast area is tackling this and needs these cable ends made and welded i'm happy to do it again. 
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2023 at 8:11am
That looks much cleaner and easier than even the newer style block clamps that come with the newer booms.  Nice work.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2023 at 8:14am
agreed, it also doesn't puncture the cable with the allen screws, or kink the cable like the factory ones do.
I eventually plan to replace the sun faded ones on the Pylon and use these same clamps there too.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2023 at 11:15am
I like this way than the old system of the allen screws messing up the cable. Thanks for sharing this!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic