NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fall Season Skiing / Boating

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fall Season Skiing / Boating
    Posted: August-31-2006 at 12:07pm
When do you all call it quits for the year and stop skiing and boating? In my opinion, fall is a fantastic time of year for boating season. The Yahoos are off the lake, calm water, no sun burns, crisp air, etc. In Ma$$, we still get 75-78 degree weather in Sept into early October. When it cools down, the sweatshirt is on board. I know people who ski until the first snow fall. That's a little extreme for me.

Ken
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 12:17pm
In Northern California fall is a great time to actually get some smooth water......... temps are 70 to 90 degrees, kids are back in school, the show boaters and bobbers have lost their audience and have packed it up for the season. We can ski with spring suits into December, and full wet suits through the winter. It's gresat seeing the look on the faces on the hard core fishermen when we blow by with some nasty cuts.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Tribal150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribal150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 12:24pm
If the river is not frozen I still get out occasinally.

Rob
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 12:29pm
The coldest day I skied on was in October and the air temperature was 45 degrees w/o wetsuit. The trade off was that the water was absolute gla$$.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 12:47pm
Wow, 45 degrees and no wetsuit!

The coldest day Ive skied was last November, the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Air temps were in the high 40's, not sure about the water- but we had to break a thin layer of ice to get the boat out on the lake. Conditions were crappy, but I had to get a run in behind the new boat. M3Fan had his last run behind the machine as well... thank god for his drysuit. I dont know if Ill be that hardcore this year though! It would be nice to get some decent weather to ski into Oct.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 12:56pm
Hey Tim,

We should hook up before the end of the season. I get my boat back in 2-3 more weeks. The entire running gear was just replaced. Just waiting for the fibergla$$ guy to do his part. I also changed from my OJ 12X13, 4 blade to the ACME 540. I'm about 40 minutes from CT. I'd be willing to meet at your lake. Let me know, and I'll break out the sweatshirts!

Ken
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 1:20pm
How about a CT CC meet?

Here's my lake, has a nice sandbar for hanging out.

My Lake
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 1:35pm
I recently spoke to Keith about our 2007 CCF reunion. Looks like were going to have outstanding access to a lake in Southern Maine. Keith is actually working on this location now. From what I understand, it's a great lake with limited boat traffic. Keith will post more details.

I would be up for a day trip to CT for boating and skiing!

Ken
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 1:49pm
I'm talking about a fall informal CT meet.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 1:49pm
Ken,

Thats great to hear your boat is almost back together. How are your knees?

My lake is pretty small (170 acres) so Lake Zoar might be a better option. Thats about an hr south of me. I visited there once about 13 years ago and it was real nice, so I wouldnt mind going back.

Im also planning on bringing my ski gear back with me to MA after this weekend, so maybe we can meet up around here at some point.

-Tim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 1:58pm
Hi Mark,

Yes, I'm up for a fall get together. Sounds like you're on a nice lake. We'll see what our schedules look like for Sept/Oct.

Ken
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:00pm
Ken and Tim- you guys should head up my way next week after the long weekend.
Any night except for Wednesday works for me.
Keith- you around one night next week?

As for when I take the boat out- just before Columbus day. We take the boards out of the dam and the water starts dropping then.
Low water makes it real difficult to get the boat out of the water.

-Brad
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:01pm
Hey Tim,

You live in Medford, so we can always find a lake around here. Lake Cochituate in Natick off the Ma$$. Pike is my home lake. Keith and Brad are local too, so we can have small gatherings. I really want to work on barefooting all the way through Oct. I know Larry (75 Tique) and I are planning to get together again. He's a deepwater start BF'er. I need to learn that instead of dropping.

Ken
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by todicus todicus wrote:

kids are back in school, the show boaters and bobbers have lost their audience and have packed it up for the season.

Exactly, fall is awesome.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:17pm
Tim,

The knees are healed, thanks. I don't want to end my season on a sour note, so this is why I'm anxious to hit the water again. I should have my boat the second week of Sept. Correct Craft installed all new running gear and had to adjust the engine back to perfect alignment. All the scratches will be filled and gla$$ed. Should be like new when I get it back! I will post the "after" pictures next to the "before" pictures.

I am willing to try any new lakes, except I need to know the bottom terrain first!! Let's definately plan on getting some skiing in these next couple of months. You can be my designated driver as my wife will not drive!

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:18pm
Brad, I think Tues or Thurs work best for me, but I could probably do Friday too. Just let me know when to show up!

Ken, Ill bring my BF suit back. Ive been doing deep ups since I was 12, so maybe I can offer some advice. Learning deep water starts can be entertaining, so Ill bring my video camera

Lets hope we have a nice warm (and not windy) fall!

-Tim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:18pm
Skiing with some football playing in the background . Life is great.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:23pm
Hey Brad,

Every night expect Wednesdays are good with me too. I work from home, so I'm done at 5:00 sharp. I can be up your way by 5:30PM. Please let me know which night and I'll have gas money in hand. I want to work on my BF form as I've been locking my knees all this time.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:30pm
Tim,

So, I guess you know the whole D.W.S. drill. I've never tried it. Larry (75 Tique) did it recently off my boat and made it look like cake. I've always dropped a ski, which is challeging trying to basically stay on a drop ski with a half of binding at 38MPH. D.W.S. look so much better too.

Ken

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:32pm
Tim- I'll see if Keith can bring his boom back from ME- We'll hook 'er up and you and Ken can BF out on Lost Lake. It should be pretty gla$$y out there next week in the evenings. I'll send you all an email shortly.
Later
-Brad
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:38pm
Ken, I learned long line by dropping a ski. I got a flat bottom drop ski for Xmas one year, so I know that drill. Deep ups certainly look cool, and flyers are even better! Ill put my camcorder on the charger in preparation for next week

Brad, I have a boom as well- but its currently in a semi-disa$$embled state. Ill be sure to bring a BF rope back though. Cant wait to see that gla$$!

Only a few hrs until the weekend...

-Tim
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:50pm
Good idea Tim.
Ken, I lost your email address, can you pls send it along?
Let's shoot for Tuesday- see you at 5:30
-Brad
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 2:57pm
Brad, Tuesday is fine with me. You'll just need to send me directions.

BF Booms are great. I probably need to sharpen up off the boom prior to hitting long line.

gonautique@charter.net.

Ken
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Brad, I have a boom as well- but its currently in a semi-disa$$embled state.

What don't you disa$$emble? You're a madman!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I guess I just like taking sh*t apart!

Joel's boom is actually pretty sweet- white and hot pink! I was gonna see if I could find the hardware to replace the pink parts and repaint the boom, but that was one winter project that didnt get finished.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 3:20pm
Hot pink? Send pictures to 79Nautique. Might go well with his pink shirts. As long as it serves its purpose, that's what counts.

Ken
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 3:22pm
79 could have the best of both worlds, wash your white NASCAR shirts with a load of red shop towels and voila!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I guess I just like taking sh*t apart!

Joel's boom is actually pretty sweet- white and hot pink! I was gonna see if I could find the hardware to replace the pink parts and repaint the boom, but that was one winter project that didnt get finished.

One thing I always wanted to do with that boom was to sleeve it where the two halves join with another aluminum pipe or 2 pipe halves to reinforce that joint. That boom has a good amount of flex.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 5:32pm
I havent used it yet, but that doesnt surprise me. Both pieces on our other boom (which we got with our '88) are solid, where this one is hollow on the piece that attaches to the pylon.

Ill have to try it out and see how it works.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2006 at 9:09pm
Man you guys make me wish I was nearer to the east coast. Those new england lakes are beautiful and bountiful. Great places!

I've skied ever month for the past 3 years. Usually every Tuesday unless bad weather. I can ski (Houston/Galveston) through the winter with just a wet suit. I'm looking forward to posting some pics this winter for you northern guys. Summer months are wonderful where you live and lousy here. Winter is when it gets great here.

Ken, you've got to get your wife driving. Having my wife drive today was so great. I've been used to my buddies driving and forgot how good she is at it. A smooth pull at a constant speed through the course makes all the difference! Put her in the seat and make her do it.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic