NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best way to replace cutlas.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2017 at 2:21pm
All you need is a blowtorch and a pair of pliers, ya hear me Hillbilly Boy??
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2017 at 2:17pm
Yeah, the packing in the nut for the rudder, thats what I should have said
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2017 at 1:55pm
Only if you're sure that 1) it's bent and 2) you're not going to reuse the coupler. Else you're potentially flushing $350. Removing the coupler is also easiest when you have a matching stationary pushing point (like the trans output flange).

Otherwise, by all means- sawzall!

Shaft packing (assume you meant driveshaft, not rudder) is a good idea too. 1000x easier while the shaft is out.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2017 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Going ARE if your shaft is bent is not a bad idea... it's the same price (or cheaper) than a new single taper shaft + coupler. If your coupler is good, I might price out a shaft-only replacement though? If close in cost, dual taper is pretty nice.

Then just cut the old shaft out and be done, easiest way going about it IMO. Packing on rudder also while its out.
I'm only hobbist though
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2017 at 1:26pm
Going ARE if your shaft is bent is not a bad idea... it's the same price (or cheaper) than a new single taper shaft + coupler. If your coupler is good, I might price out a shaft-only replacement though? If close in cost, dual taper is pretty nice.
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2017 at 1:19pm
Sorry, I'm NOT removing the strut. Just the shaft and replacing the cutlas. Might have to get an A.R.E.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2017 at 1:15pm
Hobbyist here... I know how long it takes me to remove, reinstall and realign an engine. With my facilities and equipment, it's easily a half day project if I hustle... full day if I take my time. I can do a shaft r&r plus bearing replacement in a few hours- either on the lift or on the trailer. Just speaking from experience.

Of course, if the engine is coming out anyways you bet I'll be throwing a cutlass in while it's out. That's $50 and 45min well spent.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2017 at 1:06pm
Clearly it's not just me, the resident PROFESSIONAL doesn't fux with them either. Later hobbyist...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2017 at 1:03pm
Dealing with interference fit couplers is not hard. Ignore HW, he has an unnatural fear of coupler removal/reinstallation (don't think he's ever done one).

You mentioned removing the strut... now that is something I would try to avoid at all costs... getting it perfectly lined up when reinstalling can be pretty tricky. Not hard to r&r the bushing while it's on the boat.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2017 at 12:47pm
I haven't seen anyone remove a coupler with a puller. Not even sure there's room to try.

Jody was just talking about how he pulls the engine to install the XPC dripless shaft seal. I'm rolling the engine in spring to do a cutlass. Fussing with the interference fit couplers is indeed nonsense.
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2017 at 12:43pm
So I was about ready to charge down to my heated hanger with the intent of pulling the shaft out of the 176. This was a 2 birds one stone scenario.

1. The cutlas bearing has too much play
2. I suspect the shaft is bent a little.

I was just going to bring a prop puller, remove the rudder, and use a 3 jaw puller for the flange. Now I've been seeing a lot of people talking about removing the engine instead of removing the trans coupler.

Is it THAT hard to get the coupler back on? I know it's tight, but I was picturing an oven and some aerosol to get her back together. Is it not that easy? I hate the idea of pulling the engine when I'm not sure the shaft is good anyway.

Chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic