NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski NAUTIQUE 2001 overheat? Or??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 11:32am
My freind had a pertronix ignitor that had as symptom like this, ok for a while then fail.. I belive it should have been wired with the ballast resistor, because the V meter would bounce with each spark, the igniter was seeing too much current without the ballast, and damaged the igniter, and afte3r a perior, would cut out with higher rpms and kill the engine.

To answer your question, yes you can rev the boat in neutral with a severe fuel delivery problem. There only way to flow the equivelent volume of fuel is under load.

If the the engine 'begins to cut out' as you worded, that suggests it may surge a few times before dieing, indicative of a fuel volume issue.
You may still have a fuel delivery problem, they manifest much like your symptom.
Suggest disassembling the hose barb and dip tube on the fuel tank, there is sometimes a cone screen in the assembly and a check valve in the hose barb., that is where crap first collects and blocks flow.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Blake71121 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blake71121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 11:27am
I would say the previous owner had similar symptoms because it has a new distributor, new coil, new electronic ignition, new starter and new plugs. I have receipts for all the parts if you'd like the specific brands or part #'s. When I purchased the boat we test ran for two hours with no issues. The first couple days with it were great until I started having this issue on the last outing. I suspected the choke or maybe carb needs rebuilt but reading up on the issue has me second guessing myself.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Blake71121 Blake71121 wrote:

Okay so I am a new Correct Craft owner and I've got to say I absolutely love my new to me 1985 Ski NAUTIQUE 2001.
Here's the issue:
My Ski NAUTIQUE has the 351 ford and yes it does have a newer electronic ignition.

With no more symptoms than what you list then a quick fix is hard at best.
I would tend to lean towards electrical issues. Not knowing if this is a new condition or pre=existing that the Previous Owners could not fix does not help either.
I would look at the coil first. If it breaks down with heat then that could do it. Also check to see if it is the correct OHM coil for that conversion. Electronic Ignition is great item IMHO. (That is a can of worms on this site however) Check all connections to ignition.
Good luck, it may get frustrating hunting down intermittent issues.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blake71121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 11:04am
The temp gauge is reading around 160 and I am not sure of its accuracy. I do have a temp gun but did not have it handy on this last outing to check.
It typically takes about thirty minutes to an hour to get back up and going. But the problem reoccurs much sooner say 10 minutes or so and it starts again whereas sitting overnight its fine the next day for a decent while.

I have not checked the vacuum at the intake manifold
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 10:57am
What newer electronic ignition are we talking about here? That sounds like the problem to me. This is not an overheating problem at all.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 10:49am
A cheap Non Contact IR Temp Gun is an asset to anyone's tool box. Then you can verify what the temp really is.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 10:41am
What is the indicated temp on the gauge when this happens? It doesn't sound like an overheat issue as much as it sounds like a fuel issue. You're able to rev it in neutral with no issue because there's no load on the engine, once you put the load on the engine, she dies.

Once this happens, can you get back up and running after some time, if so, how much time do you typically have to wait?

Have you checked to see how much vacuum you're pulling at the intake manifold?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blake71121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 1:57am
Okay so I am a new Correct Craft owner and I've got to say I absolutely love my new to me 1985 Ski NAUTIQUE 2001.
Here's the issue:
I have searched and seen countless numbers of threads on my same exact symptoms but no one has posted an answer to the problem. My Ski NAUTIQUE has the 351 ford and yes it does have a newer electronic ignition. The boat runs flawlessly for about an hour or so but then the engine begins to cutout and will eventually shut off. I have no issues restarting the motor after this and can even put the boat into neutral and rev it no problem. However as soon as I put the boat into gear it will shut off again. Is this an overheating issue? The boat does not seem to be overheating and if it was I would think it wouldn't start and rev. I have had many tell me this could be vapor lock or possibly a fuel issue but if it was fuel I shouldn't be able to rev the boat in neutral correct? Any help or suggestions would be great! I really haven't done much to the boat since I have gotten it but plan to replace the impeller soon and possibly the thermostat. If anyone has solved this problem in the past please chime in with how you resolved it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic