Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adventures in boating and Taylor Made

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adventures in boating and Taylor Made
    Posted: May-31-2006 at 2:43pm
What a weekend...my truck gets thrown up on by a buzzard on the way to Lake Gaston...what could top that? Lots! I'm tooling along in the 67 Mustang following my dad in his 76 Ski Tique when a moment of shore gazing leads to me being too close to the Tique. I kill the throttle, dad guns the Ski Tique and the "perfect storm" is created. His wake combined with the nose of my boat diving resulted in my boat submarining at 10-15 mph and a huge wall of water coming over the bow and collapsing my new Taylor Made windshield. I immediately kill the engine and check the bilge pump running. The boat fills with water and rolls on its port side...now water is running over the port gunwale. The wife runs back to the back seat to calm the kids (all are fine) and now I have water spilling over the transom. Finally I get everyone still and the boat is righted. I have 8-10" of water ABOVE the deck. It take 45 minutes to an hour to pump the boat out so I have time to check engine and tranny oil...both were fine. When the bilge is under control I decide to give her a whirl...it started right up and drove like nothing ever happened. The starter had been under water but evidently had no lasting effects. I ran the engine long enough to heat everything up and left the motorbox up for drying. We used the boat for the following two days without as much as a sputter. This will be my arguement FOR flotation foam and totalling sealing the deck to the gunwale (and to think I had just yelled at the wife for spilling suntan lotion on the carpet).

I called Taylor Made and explained the demise of the windshield and they stated they would have one shipped by the end of next week at no charge. These are people I will gladly advertise for!

On a positive note...I met Waterdog and his wife in their stunning Ski Tique. Way cool folks in a way cool boat. I look forward to catching up with them at Wobble Island. Any Gaston folks should meet us there. What a weekend!
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 2:59pm
Helk of a story, glad everything turned out okay.
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 4:42pm
Wholly crap batman !!! Glad everyone's OK is right !!! One word of advise, take the starter out, dry it, grease it and re-install.. My Ski Tigue's starter is fried due to water failure from a leaking manifold riser.. Just a suggestion..

Good to see the old CC made it through !!! My wife would have that boat sold as fast as we had it back on the trailer hahahaha

Moj'
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 11:50pm
A.spltr,
GLAD to hear everyone is ok! Ive got a 64 without foam ...its always in the back of my mind...Hard to believe a wall of water coming over the bow could almost sink her!

Are you planning on foaming it? If so , what are you going to use? ......Again glad everyone is ok!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2006 at 6:54am
Already did the foam...US Composites 2 lb density...and filled the bow with it. It was the first time the wife and kids had been in the boat since total rebuild.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2006 at 10:38am
Wow! I bet everyone was a little on edge. My oldest son is not very fond of boating because he thinks things like that are just waiting to happen. I try to explain to him that if the boat goes down, just swim to shore

Glad everyone is ok and the boat survived. I agree, remove and disassemble the starter for inspection and lube. Check the tranny fluid for water.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic