Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New to the forum... needing some general advise.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to the forum... needing some general advise.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
skitique179 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2015 at 1:46am
Glad I'm not the only one in for way more than my Correct Craft is worth. I am in the LA/OC area as well. Where do you usually boat? Throw up some pictures when you get a chance too!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 6:55pm
Sounds like you are adjusting the idle set screw and not the idle mix. Might want to take a look at the idle mixture screws on the primary side and how they are adjusted if you haven't already.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 6:48pm
Holleys for the most part,thats what PCM put on them. But like everything there are a few who try to swim against the current,matter of fact there are a few who even have Chevy's in them too
By the way if you do have a marine carb and it's the right size for the engine,Holley can give you the factory jetting sizes etc and then you can check yours to see if someone has changed things,oem was a 600 cfm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
justinsweber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinsweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 6:39pm
I’m reasonably inclined… new to boats. I forgot to add that the exhaust manifolds, upper and lower were rusted out and were replaced as well. I realize in 5K more than the boat is worth… but I’m hoping to have a runner at this point… seems I do. After this season, I’ll need new carpet, but that’s pretty easy. I guess I’ll get to reading regarding tuning the carb… do most on here keep with Holley carbs or go Edlebrock/AFB? Edlebrock let you change the metering on the fly… seems a bit more user friendly.
Anybody sell a carpet kit?

Thanks for the input... Ill post some pic tonight. :-).
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 6:36pm
Hi Justin. One thing that comes to mind right away is how are you setting the idle? In the water,in gear? 650 to 700 is what PCM recommends. Do you happen to know what size prop is on it too? Another thing you can do is call the Holley tech line and give them the list number off the airhorn, see pic below and they can tell you what the carb is. You need to make sure its a marine one and same with the starter. If your engine is an original right hand turning one you'll need a starter to match. Automotive engines turn left.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 6:15pm
Justin - welcome to the club.   From what you described, It sounds like you are not too mechanically inclined?    If you are, now is a good time to roll up your sleeves, do some forum searching, then go wrenching.   For what you paid for this boat initially, and the 7k you invested in tune up items, it sounds like you should maybe develop a cost threshold that would be your maximum dollar for this boat.   An 81's ski is likely only worth in the 3-5k range, or not much more for a very nice running example. Many of the boats on this site have more invested than they are worth on the street, so no ill will is intended, I just think you need to know what you're getting into before you go down this road.    

Tuning a carb, if you are willing to learn, takes some time, but is easily accomplished if you read through this site and understand the tutorial threads.   There are some good tutorial threads on the issue, you'll just need to search them out.   there is a TON of info here that will be useful to you as you experience the joys (and challenges) of this boat first hand.   I know I didn't answer your questions, I am not the most experienced here, so I'll leave your questions to the pro's.   I will say though, that you need to get the components you already have dialed in before you add any aftermarket stuff... you need a baseline to see if the component you just added makes the boat perform poorly, or if it was money well spent. We love pictures! :)
justinsweber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinsweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 5:46pm
Let me preference everything buy saying this is my 1st boat and its been a bit overwhelming.
I have a 1981 Correct Craft with a 351W/Holly 4bbl carb. I bought it off ebay thinking it was a runner, When I went to pick it up, it ran and sounded good. The next day she wouldn’t start, leaving me stranded in the harbor… I now have boat assist and a running boat… but want to make some upgrades (Car guy thinking) and 1 issue.

The boat has required extensive work… ~7K worth (Money spent… I’m sure there may have been a way to do cheaper but not what happened.) The boat has now had, new fuel filter, new battery cables, ignition rewired (Had a MSD6A wired in), installed a pertronix module, with the motor retimed, new cap, rotor, wires, plugs. 1 cylinder was 30lbs lower on the compression test so the heads were rebuilt and converted to hardened seats. There was a rear main seal leak and the engine came out for a new rear main seal. The carb was rebuilt (some rejecting) and a wedge placed under the carb as it was bogging off idle.

At this point the boat runs well… The Wedge seems to have helped the bogging of the motor though I have not done a sea trial to confirm. My concern is that it seems that the boat does not idle in gear low enough… If you set the idle to 600rpms is seems to run poorly. If I turn the idle up, I can put around the harbor slow enough. Once upon a time I was ok at setting up carbs, but am not at this point. I feel like the carb is either too large or poorly setup. The after its last adjustment it seems to run much better on the trailer, but have yet to try on the water.

Upgrades… Should I buy an Edelbrock and then make basic adjustments? I don’t need it for top end… really just want the ability to idle around and use on the lake.

Long term, I want to swap on an Edelbrock Al. intake, new pertronix flamethrower ignition and a gear reduction starter… The intake and start should shave 40lbs off the engine and gussy it up some.

As an aside, if there is a good carb guy in OC/LA area... who will tune the carb in the water, please please let me know... really could use the help.

Thank you,

Justin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic