NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

176 ideal prop?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 10:04am
Gary! How dare you!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 11:30am
I tried Zack,we came in kinda last minute for a funeral Saturday and left Sunday morning :(
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 9:52pm
Today Steve loaned me his 422 and I took her for a test run after timing it last night.

We got 4700 RPM at 43mph. That speed was measured on a cell phone app and I had to back the throttle down after a few seconds (rollers on Lake Michigan).

I think this is the sweet spot of the boat that Zach was referring to. I noticed a reduction in vibration and now I just have to ski it to check the hole shot.

I think I have to adjust the carb now after changing the timing, but I'll post more stats when I get them.

Cheers!

Chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 10:20pm
Get yourself a real GPS (or at least download the navionics app) and hold the throttle down a little longer. A 400rpm differential seems a little on the high side for a 176. If you're really pulling the 422 at 4700-4800, then you might want a 668 after all... I'm surprised the revs are so different from the 14x16. Ideally, you really want to turn 4600 or just below.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 10:41pm
That Navionics App is cool!

Not 100% sure the tach is correct. It was my fault we had to shut it down. I should not have gone along. I told him to drop me off and make some passes on his own, but he would having nothing of it. He'll get some better data on a flat inland lake and I won't be with him.

I also think that 14x16 is a VERY tired prop. I also offered up my 1442, we just have to get it off the Sport. AND I will give him one of my portable GPS's (which I forgot to take with us this trip).
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2014 at 11:07am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Ideally, you really want to turn 4600 or just below.

wat

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Gotta spin it to win it!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2014 at 11:50am
I know you're just busting chops, but I'll bite.

Taken out of context... I always recommend spinning the engine at max rated rpm (generally where it makes peak power) at a minimum, preferably exceeding it by 100-200rpm. For a 240hp PCM, the max recommended rpm is 4400, so 4400-4600 is the window, with 4500-4600 being the ultimate goal. You won't hurt anything spinning it at 4700-4800 but if there's a good prop out there that can knock the revs back to the range i just stated, you can gain a little bit of performance as well as some efficiency.

I say "spin it to win it" to those afraid to exceed max recommended rpm for fear of "breaking things" or some such nonsense. Over propping to keep revs below max rpm is detrimental to both performance AND reliability as putting a large prop that loads down the engine is harder on components than over revving (slightly).
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2014 at 11:55am
Steve, the 1442 will turn 200rpm higher than the 422 so it would be going in the wrong direction.

All of the "tired" props I've seen tend to lose efficiency at higher revs, meaning they allow rpm to climb higher without speed going up, presumably due to blade flex or some other issue. By holding rpm down at 4200 makes me think it's towards the steep (pitch) range of its tolerance and keeping the engine from reaching optimal rpm but I wouldn't call it tired. Just an older design that less precise and not a great performer.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2014 at 11:59am
Tim as always, you are 100% correct, but that old prop needs some time with a couple of hammers and some heat, it is pretty "out of shapes."

I agree with the assessment of the 1442, but we thought it would be fun to throw it on their just for chits and giggles.
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2014 at 7:33am
Thanks Tim. I think I'll bring the Rpm a back down a little. I think with a new prop and a little carb tuning it will be a 45mph boat. For a little guy with a 240hp and over 1000 hr that's not bad.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic