NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slalom driver help

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 8:06pm
FWIW, Performance Ski and Surf is doing a customer appreciation day with Mike Rini this weekend. I'm scheduled for a 9:30 lesson but after the past 2 weeks Im nervous if I can ski. Thinking it will be more of a communication and form & stance lesson from land rather than a pull from the boat.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 7:51pm
My form seems to follow this description: howtogetupononeski.com. I'm sure Pete will correct that link

Mistakes I've learned I was making: Standing up too soon. I knew to wait for the boat to pull you up all my life but didn't understand nor feel this until recently. Once I got the feel, no problem. It was so simple to me that I continually overlooked.

Another was I used to worry about the ski pointing at 2:00 so I ended up doing everything I could to move to 12:00 which resulted in expelled energy and getting dragged.

I'm demoing skis and mostly stick with rear toe plate. I always would do 2 ski start then drop but that's just a hassle at this point. When I'm doing deep water starts I keep both feet in the binding/RTP. Keeping one foot out is something I don't understand and seems awkward/harder. I was keeping my arms tucked in, like I was fornicating the handle. Which took arm strength but was ok with me until past 2 weeks. I played with keeping arms out which seemed awkward but hadn't ruled this out. In past 2 weeks I've tried this more bc arm injury but unsuccessful. Do yall keep arms out and locked or slightly bent?

My most successful day was 2 Fridays ago. Weather was awful. Defiinite chop and spitting rain. Wifey was nervous and when she's nervous she goes slower. I was demoing a CX superlite w double bindings. My first time on doubles but I thought to try bc it was free. While demoing I kept climbing up 1 notch on skis until I feel the ski is too advanced for me. I looked like Sammy Freaking Duval this night. I got up every time and skied and felt great and confident. I'd ski 60 seconds, drop then take off again for the practice for my wife and I. Bindings were putting strain in a different spot on my rear leg so I skied easy, didn't want to tire out on a friday. did 3 rounds this way and perfect. But the doubles seemed to help my starts by correcting my form, if that's possible. Went out the following morning.... and all hell as broke out ever since.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 7:27pm

Changing props to slow her down is ridiculous IMO. You could tell her what you would like her to change, finish the argument, apologize for critizing her driving, and still get all that done faster than pulling a prop.[/QUOTE]

Haha, you don't know my wife. If there is any hope in her and I being a ski team I better slow my boat or learn to get ripped. My wife does not take any critizism on anything. But she can load any of our boats better and quicker than me or anyone else at the ramp. And I thought I was a hot shot at the ramp.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Arms out.

+1, I left this out. And back arched like a dog taking a $h!t. You should be up in the first 10'.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 7:13pm
Back foot in the ski and leaning back make everything worse. You're fighting the boat and losing. Unless you have a bunch of slack you should be able to get up on a hard or soft pull.

Go with the boat. Approved PFD for maximum flotation. Thigh to the chest, knee between your elbows. Arms out. Do this right and you will notice your ski tip pointing forwards, not straight up in the air. All of this is easier with your back foot out. When done properly your hair will be dry and your eyes open the whole time.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 7:09pm
She should be rolling into the throttle with a tight line. Are you getting up with both feet in? If you have an open rear toe, a one-legged start will get you out of the water much quicker and with less strain than keeping both feet in because it allows the ski to plane off much sooner. Of course, if you have double-fixed boots, you don't have much choice but to drag a bit.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 7:03pm
Could be your form. My wife isn't the gentlest throttle-jockey on the planet either. Tuck your knees about halfway into your chest with the tip straight up and as soon as she hits the throttle, you need to use your knees as shock absorbers and let the force tuck them in a little further into your chest as you roll forward, once you feel like you are coming out of the water, slowly stand up.   
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 7:00pm
The driver should be applying a steady increase in throttle, not just slamming it down to WFO. With proper form/technique, you should be able to get up even with a really slow take-off.

Changing props to slow her down is ridiculous IMO. You could tell her what you would like her to change, finish the argument, apologize for critizing her driving, and still get all that done faster than pulling a prop.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 5:47pm
Been getting serious this summer about skiing. I have some rather realistic goals set for me to accomplish by Labor Day. Part of the goal was to master a deep water slalom start. I was doing real good and think I had it mastered then all of a sudden I've gone to poo. I don't know any skiers except my dad who hasn't skied in 40 years and he's been trying to improve my wife's skills as a tow driver.

I'm pretty certain I have it down to my wife is ripping me out of the water and I think subsequently injured my arms after repeatedly trying to get up thinking the problem was me. I think she's giving my SN full throttle from a dead stop when I yell hit it and the ropes long gone before I can hang on. Seems like before I was dragged and pulled onto plane. Idk where this lead foot came from and she says she doesn't realize it. My question is, what rate/speed do y'all pull up skiers? Do y'all punch it so hard or medium steady pull?

I'm pretty certain I'm going to swap props to try and slow down hole shot. Never thought I'd do that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic