Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

questions about ProTec replacements

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 9:57am
A DUI is a fully computerized dist. Like waterdog said. GM made HEI dizzys and they worked pretty well. Powerful and very low maintenance. DUI just made one for Ford.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 10:02am
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

A DUI is a fully computerized dist. Like waterdog said. GM made HEI dizzys and they worked pretty well. Powerful and very low maintenance. DUI just made one for Ford.

Does it still have a rotor that needs periodic replacement? I noticed the unit is $385 + $100 for the plug wires.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 10:22am
The DUI's use a magnetic pick up instead of points. Cap and rotor are both maintenance items, just like every other distributor. "Fully computerized" is pretty misleading, as it is still a mechanical advance distributor with weights and springs. They do tend to have very nice advance curves and strong spark, both of which improve all around performance compared to the Prestolites and Mallories- at least in my experience. I have 2 in my boats. As described, hook up couldnt be easier.

Plug wires are a maintenance item, and will need to be replaced regardless of which style distributor you go with. The protec wires are too short to reach the front of the motor even if they did have the right terminals. The DUI Live Wires are very nice, but pricey. I have always opted for the universal Taylor Spiro Pro wires (~$60 from Summit), and cut them to the lengths I want with the terminal styles I need (it comes with both male and female).

Regarding the Protec wiring, very little *needs* to be disconnected. The oil and water temp switches, as well as the knock sensor simply become dormant. If going with a DUI, you may need to extend a few wires (ign and tach) so they reach the front of the motor, but that is pretty straightforward.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The DUI's use a magnetic pick up instead of points. Cap and rotor are both maintenance items, just like every other distributor. "Fully computerized" is pretty misleading, as it is still a mechanical advance distributor with weights and springs. They do tend to have very nice advance curves and strong spark, both of which improve all around performance compared to the Prestolites and Mallories- at least in my experience. I have 2 in my boats. As described, hook up couldnt be easier.

Plug wires are a maintenance item, and will need to be replaced regardless of which style distributor you go with. The protec wires are too short to reach the front of the motor even if they did have the right terminals. The DUI Live Wires are very nice, but pricey. I have always opted for the universal Taylor Spiro Pro wires (~$60 from Summit), and cut them to the lengths I want with the terminal styles I need (it comes with both male and female).

Regarding the Protec wiring, very little *needs* to be disconnected. The oil and water temp switches, as well as the knock sensor simply become dormant. If going with a DUI, you may need to extend a few wires (ign and tach) so they reach the front of the motor, but that is pretty straightforward.

Good to know. Are the cap and rotor pretty easy to source or do I need to get hem through the same company that sells the DUI?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 12:18pm
You can get the cap and rotor kits from Summit, just like you can get the full up DUI. Though, since the price is the same, I'd order the DUI directly from Davis in case they want to make any changes to the advance curve off their base tune- they take your engine specs when you order.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You can get the cap and rotor kits from Summit, just like you can get the full up DUI. Though, since the price is the same, I'd order the DUI directly from Davis in case they want to make any changes to the advance curve off their base tune- they take your engine specs when you order.

I like using Summit, so this is good. Thanks for the link and the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic