NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

questions about ProTec replacements

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

If you go with the DUI, You may need to get the engine wiring harness also. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R121025A

I'm not sure what you'd be left with when you remove the Protec wiring. Vince at Skidim would be able to explain that.

I'll have to see if that is a required item. If you add that piece, it becomes more expensive than the SkiDim distributer/coil retro fit.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 10:22am
If you go with the DUI, You may need to get the engine wiring harness also. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R121025A

I'm not sure what you'd be left with when you remove the Protec wiring. Vince at Skidim would be able to explain that.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

DUI
1 power wire + 1 tach wire = DONE.

What do you do with the old ignition system wiring? Just tie it off and call it a day?
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 8:55am
DUI
1 power wire + 1 tach wire = DONE.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 12:16am
One factor is that DUI will customize the advance curve for your boat. TRBenj can elaborate , once he gets back online.

Edit - Don't underestimate the wiring changes that need to be made.    SkiDim's kit has that all figured out for you ahead of time.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2013 at 11:32pm
I did some research on here and found both the DUI and SkiDim retro kit to be good replacements for the OEM ignition system. I do have some thoughts, but would like to hear from some of you.

The SkiDim unit is about $500 with the 10% discount. I like the fact that this is old school and simple. I don't like the extra coil and wire.

The DUI unit is about $500 as well (unless I have a reverse rotation gear, then add $75). I like the electronic ignition and lack of coil and additional wires. I worry about the electronics going and cost of replacement.

your thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic