NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You didn build that !

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 79>
Author
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 8:44pm
I think he's speaking directly at idiots who don't know anything about guns...they are better off with a double barrel shotgun than a semi-auto handgun.
This is the life
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 8:11pm
John, someone who has done extensive training on how to use a gun = expert in the use of firearms. Google Biden stating his remarks. This is the guy the President put in charge of his gun policy.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 7:51pm
Dr, If you smell horse manure, better check your shoes. The burglary facts I posted are facts, not opinions. Also, you are on a different planet. You can't compare where you live to Chicago. That is not intended to mean it's better or worse, just different.

Also, Bruce, I am not a gun expert, I am just someone who has done extensive training on how to use a gun. My "expert" pin is probably worth the $.89 that the organization that gave it to me paid for it. If I have a problem with a gun I bring it to our armourer, he is an expert.

I didn't read Biden's comments since I really don't care much about the gun control issue either way. I am assuming he said something about using a shotgun for home protection. While it is a good weapon for that, it is a little hard to keep in your bedside drawer, but keeping any gun in your bedside drawer makes it accessible to anyone, including children, and probably isn't responsible. We used shotguns for raids and search warrants sometimes because they are less likely to kill someone two apartments away than a handgun or AR15 is. With some shot in them they are pretty harmless after they go through some drywall.

I believe the NRA does not condone keeping a loaded gun in any place that an untrained person may have access, but I am not going to bother to look it up. If you keep it by your bed and leave the house, it will undoubtedly be gone if you are burglarized. that is the first room tossed.

I don't keep a loaded gun in my house because I prefer not to have an accident, and an unloaded gun is much more dangerous than no gun at all.

I am not trying to tell you guys what to do because, as I said, i don't have strong feelings one way or another.

BTW, I don't believe strong gun laws will make any meaningful difference in Chicago. People are frustrated and just feel they are doing something, rather than just sitting by.

1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 4:07pm
Bruce, I cant wait till I hear his answer....

John b , I smell horse sh it.....Your train of thought, as usual, scares the hell out of me. But then again , I must live on a different planet than you...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 3:33pm
John, being a former policeman and presumably an expert in the use of firearms, what do you think of the Vice President's advice?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 3:25pm
"Go ask a police officer what you should do if a burgular breaks into your home"
OK Skicat, I will ask myself when I find the time.
Fun Facts about burglaries from a multi year study by our crime anaylist from our reports and IUCR statistics.

More than 80% of residential burglaries happen on week days during daytime hours between 0900-1530.

More than 90% of commercial / industrial burglaries happen at night.

Of the 20% of residential burglaries that don't happen during that time frame, about half occur on holidays when the resident (s) are away at work.

Somewhere around 20% of burglaries are identified as insurance jobs staged by the victim.

Burglars almost always ring the door bell and pound on the door repeatedly before entering. That is why burglary is "the cowards crime".

If someone answers the door when they are knocking / ringing they most often give a story that they are selling something.

The most common way burglars are caught red handed is solicitor complaints from the person who answered the door, believed they were moron solicitors, and called the police.

Burglars are armed less than 10% of the time when caught in the act.

Burglaries are most often done for drug money.

Most burglars have a history of retail theft.

Competent burglars love homes with an attached garage and an extra car. They load the loot into the car in the garage and then open the garage door and drive away in it not raising the suspicion an unknown car in the area would and eliminating the chance of someone getting a license number.

The victims car is commonly left undamaged with the keys in it in a large shopping mall after the loot is put in a different vehicle.

Several good burglars have told me they left the victims car in a conspicuous area. such as running at a 7-11, with the keys in it on the chance it would be stolen by someone else implicating them in the burglary through forensic evidence or being caught in it.

Good burglars commonly use pillow cases from the house so they aren't carrying anything suspicious to the police if they are stopped.

A "wonder bar" is the most common burglary tool.

Amateur burglars (drug money) usually target homes near their residence (walking distance), professionals usually travel 10 miles or more.

Burglars normally enter through a back door or escape window, but most commonly leave through the front door.

The master bedroom is the most common room tossed, the kitchen is the least.

If there is a safe for guns and it can fit in a car, it is usually taken. Same goes for small safes. If they can be carried, bolt them down. Everyone knows this, but not many do it.

I have done neighborhood interviews after burglaries where the neighbor saw someone unknown leaving the house. When the burglar noticed he/they were being watched they turned to the house and waved and said something loudly like "thanks, see you Tuesday".

The most effective deterrent to a burglary is a radio playing loud enough so it can be heard just outside the home or when they force entry. They don't want a confrontation.

The under cover drug unit I spent much of my career in solved many burglaries by buying the stuff the dope dealers had taken in payment from the dopers for their drugs.

I bough a lot of guns taken in burglaries.

One of my favorite arrests was when I met a guy to buy a S/A handgun, and after examining it, making sure it was loaded, and agreeing on a price, I used it to arrest him.

Locks only keep honest people honest.

I hope someone enjoys these "fun facts" they are taught in the academy and by most FTOs on the street.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 2:31pm
I love his statement . go out on the porch fire two shots (empty your gun) from your double barrel shotgun into the air to scare the intruder away..... there isnt enough room on this blog to analyse     that comment. I cant believe that guy is the vice president of the united states.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

john b, glad to know Smith and Wesson are protecting my family and not you.

You are a strange egg my boy.......Billy

John my statement is saying that those type of people are most likley carrying a weapon.I never heard of a crimnal breaking into a home and NOT carrying some type of weapon.A weapon of any sort to hurt you or others. Us law abidding citizens dont believe to walk into Wal Mart and wave our guns in the air or in the street.Are firm beleif is if we feel are life is in danger or someone else's then we shoot to kill.

Go ask a police officer what you should do if a burgular breaks into your home? He will tell you to shoot him because reponse time can take up 23 minutes. Because your life is in danger!! And what ever you do,if you have a gun,DO NOT,like the democrats are saying,"Fire a warning shot in the air"!! You will get arrested and taken to jail for doing so because that bullet you shoot into air is described danger to the public. The CHL class teaches this.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 2:45am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Possibly a cracked egg, Billy.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 2:27am

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 11:50pm
20 years, thousands of arrests, all with a pen. Never fired my gun once. Tough guys don't need guns! What do you suspect that "pedafil" would do with the pen?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 11:28pm
John,if you pulled a ball point pin out on a crimnal/killer/convict/pedafil- let me know how big and tall you are I will chip in on your coffin my brother...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 11:24pm
A pen is a mighty weapon. More money has been stolen with a pen than all of the other weapons ever made.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Anyone see that video of Biden telling someone to buy a shot gun to defend their home? Obama put Biden in charge of gun control and he's giving lame advice that is incredablyly stupid and irresponsible. And he gets a complete free ride from the press and all the Obama followers. I do not understand the blind loyalty this administration gets from so many people, especially educated people.

I heard that one..And heard something from a colorado democrat calling for people and women to defend themselves with a ball point pen.. These democrats are so idiotic and so stupid. Just mind boggling how there brain works!!

The stupid ones will wake up in 2014 when Obama care fully hits.Doctors will tell you,"sorry we dont take medicare anymore,go die in the street"!! Yet they want to bash the Ryan plan of pushing granny off the cliff but yet they have a bill that does so. Wait till the stupid ones get a higher cost in there premiums!! Wait till they see the hidden taxes in that bill from Obama care. And people think it is so hunky dory... There idiots,just let them be idiots.

I got a job a month ago and got first full check last week and fell out of my chair.Compared it to a old pay stub, and made me really angry. The diffenece in the payroll tax and SS tax and medicare tax was huge difference when you do it times 52 wks.Thank God I dont live in California,I would have to pay a additional state tax on top of that.

What I see happening when January hits in 2014 and Obama care is in full affect, people will finally wake up and we get the Senate again and the last 2 yrs of nit wit's presidency will not be good for him.Because if you kept voting for him and you keep having your freedom of choice,liberty,and money taking from your pocket you got to flip at some point.It is sad to see people not see it now or what is coming,they have to see it in person to believe. Which is irresponsible and idiotic.Plain and simple!!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 11:00pm
I believe you may be right.

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Just for the record......again, I am not a Democrat and have still never voted a straight ticket.

Is the alternative a gay ticket?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 8:54pm
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 6:38pm
Just for the record......again, I am not a Democrat and have still never voted a straight ticket.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 6:31pm

Anyone see that video of Biden telling someone to buy a shot gun to defend their home? Obama put Biden in charge of gun control and he's giving lame advice that is incredablyly stupid and irresponsible. And he gets a complete free ride from the press and all the Obama followers. I do not understand the blind loyalty this administration gets from so many people, especially educated people.

Bruce I think he watched too many elmer fudd cartoons. he could have at least recommended a pump shotgun
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 6:29pm

I do not understand the blind loyalty this administration gets from so many people, especially educated people.

The lack of any reasonable choice put up from the other side?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

cute -not really anything to do with what I said and misses the more obvious parrallel of government and taxpayers

Certainly not as funny as going back a few dozen pages on this thread and rereading all the predictions about what would happen by now if Obama was reelected.

Just try and turn off the talk radio and live in the world of facts every now and then guys and maybe the republican party can get someone to run for office that isnt a complete tool.

Aww lighten up Joe, you know I was just playing around. xoxo
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 6:26pm
cute -not really anything to do with what I said and misses the more obvious parrallel of government and taxpayers

Certainly not as funny as going back a few dozen pages on this thread and rereading all the predictions about what would happen by now if Obama was reelected.

Just try and turn off the talk radio and live in the world of facts every now and then guys and maybe the republican party can get someone to run for office that isnt a complete tool.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 6:24pm
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 6:06pm
[QUOTE=JoeinNY]
You Democrats look to hold Obama harmless for poor leadership, and the people who voted for him harmless for poor judgement, but then hold the Republicans responsible for not seeing in advance that the president would destroy the country by how he was leading and spending? Not only is it rediculous, but even if the independents were omnisicent and decided to take a gamble and vote for the future good of the country by voting republican there is no doubt in my mind that the country would still have been squandered because Obama made so many empty promises and you all fell for it.
QUOTE]

there, i fixed it.   
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

but business in a free market is supposed to fundamentally ignore actively seeking to maximize their return on their labor and make sure they pay a livable wage.

Who said that? I said if they maximized thier short term return by promising future benefits instead of higher salarys to begin with then didnt invest or save to be able to provide those benefits in the future then they deserve to fail and not be bailed out.

You look to hold leadership harmless for poor leadership, and the investors harmless for poor investment, but then hold the laborers responsible for not seeing in advance that the leaders and investors would destroy the company by how they were leading and investing? Not only is it rediculous, but even if the laborers were omnisicent and decided to take less pay for the future good of the enterprise there is no doubt in my mind that the excess profit would still have been squandered in even bigger management bonuses and dividends and the end result would have been the same.

you might want to skip rereading your double standard propganda book.. you have that down pat..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 12:09pm
Precisely! The threshold for stepping in should be the point where it is more expensive to the economy to pay the benefits for the people displaced by the loss of the corporation and supporting manufacturing companies than it is to preserve it. GMs demise may also have dragged Ford with it, since many of the supporting manufacturers that Ford relies on would not have survived on Ford business alone. If that had occurred we would have lost the capacity to manufacture autos in this country, along with the contribution they make to the balance of trade from foreign sales and manufacturing. You and I would have been forced to send our hard earned money for the second biggest purchase most people make to Korea, Japan, Germany, or some other foreign country. Worse than that, I would have no choice but to drive an appliance from Toyota, or a Lexus, the cure for insomnia.

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 9:51am
So lets recap from yesterday.
Concerning GM "They were wiped out. In what world should the government take on all the liabilities to the employees then sell the resources (designs, plants, tools, dealer network etc) to private equity for pennies on the dollar so they can sell it off in pieces and make 500% while destroying the American manufacturing sector- they would be getting paid simply for being rich, not for building, not for taking a risk, but for destroying something it took a century to build up.   Instead the government (us) kept it together greatly increased the value and is now selling stock off in chunks at a reasonable market driven price what could be more fair than that?"

and Hostess "they were not making a lot of money, if the management/owners couldnt make money with those brands, that distribution network, and that labor structure then they shouldnt be in business and their investment should be wiped out and the assets sold off to pay the creditors. Quite a few of those employees will end up working for the new owners, and likely at a better rate than what they were being offered."

and concerning labor "A free market fundamentally depends on the worker actively seeking to maximize thier return on their labor.", but business in a free market is supposed to fundamentally ignore actively seeking to maximize their return on their labor and make sure they pay a livable wage.

I guess I need to re-read my big book of Democrat double standards for dummies. The more I learn the more confusing it becomes.

Also Unemployment is not a benefit we pay into, it is insurance. The more it is used, the more it costs all of us and the bigger drag it becomes on the economy.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 1:54am
Bret, you are a noble man.....
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 12:28am
I like both hockey and cycling. Hockey is the official past time of LE guys. Let's all make a toast to the Chicago Blackhawks!

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 12:02am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Brett and Billy,
As far as your neighbor is concerned, Brett, would you hire the guy? Your neighbor has very few options in a market teaming with qualified applicants without a murder conviction for every available job. At an average cost of $45,000 per year to incarcerate a person that cost is a necessary one to place him back into society. With no means of support and no prospects for employment how do you expect him to eat and live. There is a high rate of recidivism among Xs because of this. I don't know of anyone who will starve or freeze to death willingly. Next thing you know you will be reporting a crime at your house, hopeful not a violent one.

Absolutely not. If it was up to me he would not be breathing our free air. Life is full of choices, and you control your own destiny. But that's en entirely different discussion.
As far as my and my families safety....My wife and I are both CCW holders with extensive firearm training, and also have a German Shepherd on guard duty at all times. Used to have a 100lb Doberman. Both houses on either side of me have been burglarized over the last 10 years but mine has not. A big bad dog is a pretty good deterrent.   
John, I'm sure you're a good guy and I wouldn't mind sharing some stories of boats, beers and women some day. I guess we'll just have to disagree about our political ideals. Not saying it makes you a bad person. I will say I'm very surprised at your societal outlook with your criminal law backround though. I am friends with quite a few in local law enforcement from both NJ and here in FL(hockey and cycling buddies) and they have very different perspectives.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 79>
  Share Topic