NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#2 and #3 trailers

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #2 and #3 trailers
    Posted: January-03-2012 at 9:27pm
That #3 on our old Cuda was bought new in about 73-74. It wasn't a 60's trailer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 9:17pm
I agree... those look to be similar in size to the wheels on my (former) Ski Tique, which are 14".
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 9:12pm
Those etrailer wheels look good to me. We're trying to replicate this which look bigger than 13's to me:
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 9:06pm
Bruce, are you talking a 60's #3? Those could have had 13" wheels originally, as the #2's of the era had 12". So you can probably go 13" or 14" without it looking out of place... my '67 #3 currently has 13" wheels, but Im planning to go with 14" eventually- probably trying to do something similar to Pauly Banana's '68 SN:

Etrailer sells some old-school steelies like that- Id add some baby moons to them!

14" wheel at etrailer

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 9:06pm
Hi Bruce the drivers side rail has a twist in it i cant get out completely i might not have to worry bout it , i was playing with it trying to get the bow out of it and was struggling it is probably fine.     f anyone is looking for square u bolts look at jamestown distributors part # scp57461 it is 1/2 " square bend .3 1/16 span 5 5/16 length . 2 inch thread .      bruce also northern tool probably has the tires and wheels for you
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 8:55pm
Peter, I'll have to make time to get it asap, before the snow flies, (if it ever does). I would like to have it painted by spring. I'll give you a call. Why are you going to replace one of the rails on your #2?

Tim, do you know a decent source for original type wheels? I believe they are 14".
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 8:45pm
Thanks Tim I am going to at least replace a rail on my # 2 . Bruce your #3 is ready for you here i am just waiting on u bolts but i can get those for you later . also dont worry about leaving it here as long as you want .
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 8:43pm
Oh, and if you wanted to pop out a few plates that allowed us to mount a standard A-frame jack where the original jacks sat, Id be in for a few of those too!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

has anyone tried to repop these #2 trailers?   I have one here from Bruce and   just steel wise the 2x3 channel
2- 20 ' lengths = 140.00
1 -10' l for cross braces 35
10' length channel 1 1/4 appr 45
tongue 25?
spring and axle kit 250   3k lb
two wheels and tires250
misc hardware , lights wiring jack . it cant all be 800 in materials? correct me if i'm way off   what are they worth reproduced? and how many could someone expect to sell?

Peter, 2200 lb would be just fine for the axles and hubs- the 12" and 13" wheels/tires are going to be the weak point anyways. You should be able to get a wheel and tire combo for <$200/set as well. Think cheap (like Correct Craft did)... 4-lug steelies. Like these:

12" wheel from Northern Tool for $30

12" tire from Eastern Marine, 1045 lb capacity (each) for $43

On the couplers, I actually found the same ones that CC used, after much searching:

$40 coupler from etrailer

Dont forget that unless you'd be selling them with "some assembly required", then they'd also have to be painted, and finished- meaning fenders, lights, wiring, chains, carpeted bunks, etc.

I think theres a "want" for a handful of them, for sure... whether or not theres a market for them, Im not quite as confident! Once you add up what it would cost to build them, then add a reasonable upcharge to cover your time and effort, there may not be many takers. Thats been my experience on a few of the "hard to find" custom made parts Ive had done up. I still think its worth going through the effort of tallying up the costs though!
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 8:05pm
that seems reasonable for a limited run item , there is pretty close to a grand in labor i would say just to build the basic trailer .
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 8:00pm
Peter, someone was doing #3s a few years ago. There was a link on the site. I believe they were around $2k without the options.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 7:56pm
has anyone tried to repop these #2 trailers?   I have one here from Bruce and   just steel wise the 2x3 channel
2- 20 ' lengths = 140.00
1 -10' l for cross braces 35
10' length channel 1 1/4 appr 45
tongue 25?
spring and axle kit 250   3k lb
two wheels and tires250
misc hardware , lights wiring jack . it cant all be 800 in materials? correct me if i'm way off   what are they worth reproduced? and how many could someone expect to sell?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 12:29am
They are carpeted Bruce just like the bunks.You just can't get your hands behind them to clean,they are that close.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 1:46pm
Gary, Don't those things marr the finish on the gel?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 1:31pm
You almost have convinced on taking them off,it would be easier to clean up the hull.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Gary, the tall bowstops with 4 u-bolts used smaller hardware (3/8") than the short bowstops with 2 u-bolts (1/2" hw).

I would have thought they'd be the same and the fact the taller ones would have more leverage on them that they would be the heaver ones.Maybe the larger base made up for that

Yeah, not sure of the reasoning beyond there being 2x as many bolts holding down the taller stops. I do know that both my Ski Tique and BFN with the taller stops used the smaller u-bolts, while all of the short style stops used the larger hardware.

I think I'll pass on those guides!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2011 at 1:36pm
Maybe Peter could make you up a couple of pairs of the goofy side guides
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2011 at 1:32pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj] Gary, the tall bowstops with 4 u-bolts used smaller hardware (3/8") than the short bowstops with 2 u-bolts (1/2" hw).
QUOTE]

I would have thought they'd be the same and the fact the taller ones would have more leverage on them that they would be the heaver ones.Maybe the larger base made up for that
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2011 at 1:04pm
My Uncle Todd measured his #2 and confirmed the measurements above (3" x 1-3/8" channel).

Gary, the tall bowstops with 4 u-bolts used smaller hardware (3/8") than the short bowstops with 2 u-bolts (1/2" hw).

Al, good heads up on Caterpillar possibly having the u-bolts... its always good to have a backup plan!

The 80's CC trailers got beefed up over their 60's-70's counterparts. The #3 went from 3" to 4" channel and the #4 went from 4" to 5".
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 11:33am
thanks i am looking for 60s era   but I think we are all set
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 1:38am
Neighbors '88 Barefoot trailer has 5" channel with the original 3/8" U-bolts.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 12:12am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The larger trailers (like our #4 under the Barefoot Nautique) used larger frames (1" larger, so probably 4")... but they tended to use different bow stops- so dont worry about that.

FWIW, just measured the Martinique trailer, 4" with 1.1/2" flange and the bow stop is 52.1/2" tall.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 10:44pm
Half inch originals ?

Caterpillar Dealer has those.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 7:30pm
Chris, the hose is working great,does not seem to have any wear and it does not damage the rub rail and that is after the 3K Florida trip. The only thing I could say about the experience is that the vinyl on the motor box balloons up as you drive, much like a convertible top does.I think if I did it again that I would use some kind of strap to hold it down.You guys with glass boxxes don't know what your missing
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 5:37pm
Thanks everyone . I dont know how hard to find they are but I deal with a locl spring shop and he can make what appear to be the right ones .
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

So, what's the deal with U-bolts?
Did they become rare all of a sudden?

Any farm supply store should have them.

These are Marine ones Al,there is about a 30 dollar difference   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 4:54pm
Not going to make it home over lunch but I'm sure my measurements are the same as Gary's.

Like Tim, I haven't been able to find the U bolts and will have to cut mine off since they are rusted.

Gary, how's the hose holding up against the rub rail?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

If you can find some, let us know! The largest Ive been able to find are 3/8"... quite a bit smaller than the 1/2" originals.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 3:09pm

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 3:06pm
Peter,mine measures 3" high, 1 3/8" wide. My U bolts measure 2 3/4" wide but that is for this kind of bow stop.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic