Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is no dripping bad using Teflon Packing?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is no dripping bad using Teflon Packing?
    Posted: August-23-2005 at 9:05am
I replaced my packing with this white teflon packing and wonder if I screwed the packing down too tight since it doesn't drip at all. Is this good or bad?

Thanks for answering the stupid person question asked. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy at night since someone will always take care of me and the classic Nautique. I do realize that the forum community kinda owns my boat in some relationship of responsibility.

Thanks Again!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2005 at 12:46pm
I THINK it is ok to not have a drip with teflon. Just monitor the temperature of the packing nut to make sure it is not getting too hot. It should remain cool or just slightly warm to the touch, but not hot.
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2005 at 2:44pm
I don't think the white teflon packing is designed to be dripless although I could be wrong. I just haven't seen that claim. The dark gray GFO packing is designed to be "virtually dripless" whatever that means. I have found that this packing does not require a drip to remain cool. The literature says that the low friction and good heat conducting properties of the carbon-impregnated material allow this.

If you want to check it out for yourself, I'm not sure I would go by just the temperature of the nut. If the material does not conduct heat very well, the shaft could very well heat up while the nut remains cool. I'd run it for a while, stop, then immediately check the temperature of the shaft.
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 4:06am
I will do what I can to make it drip.
skiier View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 1:15pm
I just redid mine. I had it too tight at first and there was no driping at all.

You probably only need to hand tighten it to get to the right amoount. Just be sure the jamb nut is tight.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic