Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission trouble

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bleebdat View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleebdat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission trouble
    Posted: August-20-2005 at 3:09pm
hey all, would this transmission be compatible with my boat? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Borg-Warner-Velvet-Drive-Marine-Transmission-Inboard_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50442QQitemZ4569685456QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Its a 1.52:1 ratio but the seller says its a c-71.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2005 at 2:31am
Like they say: "What ever floats your boat."
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Bleebdat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bleebdat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 7:36pm
Jim thank you for the warning, I am asking mainly because we have a trip planned where you have to boat to the camp site. Not planning on much more than that if anything.
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 6:25pm
It's been 3 years for me , don't even miss it , got the kit to fix it , maybe this winter, here is the kit I got.        http://www.amarket.com/imabw071.htm
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 4:09pm
Don't drive your boat without reverse. Unplanned things happen in the water. My reverse has saved the lives of me and my passengers more than once.

Ever come up on a skier in the water that just took a fall? Ever get pushed into a dock by the wake of passing boat. You just gotta have reverse.

It would be like driving a car with no brakes!

I had a young kid once (not my own) jumped off the boat when I was pulling up to a dock. I was shocked. Thank god I had a reverse.

(30 Years ago I would have yanked that kid out of the water by his arm and spanked his behind. If I did that today I would go to jail - I think.)
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 3:32pm
Hi Bleebdat

In the link above, Keith says he was assured he could do no further damage running it with the broken ring.

Why not fire off an e-mail to him and verify that he had no problems. I only ran it a short time before fixing it and it's not the most pleasant or safe thing to drive when you don't have reverse.

He's the Keith that runs this site,look him up in the members list.

keno
Bleebdat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bleebdat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 4:38am
Keno thanks, I had searched and seen that, was hoping that wasnt it Anyway a secondary question is can I run the boat safely with the reverse ring damaged if that is what it is. I am not sure whether I will take it out, but I would like to know one way or the other.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 12:53am
Hi Bleebdat

Go to this link and you'll probably find your answer

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=761&KW=lost+reverse

keno
Bleebdat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bleebdat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 9:29pm
Hi everyone, I am a proud new owner of a 1985 sn2001, so far everything has been great, but on tuesday I was out with some friends and about half way through the day I was coming to a dock and the boat would not engage in reverse. I have looked over most of the obvious stuff fluid level checks out, linkage seems to be working ok, it will engage in forward and disengage to neutral, but no reverse. If anyone can point me as to where I should check next the tranny was working smoothly before so Im at a loss. Thanks for any help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic