NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#2 trailer work

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 14>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

and I want to pull my boat a long way this comming March   

And where might that be....should we get the guest room ready???

Let me be a bit more direct...this better be in the vincinity of Lake Wales Florida.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 1:53am
High Point, NC 1st, then maybe Gator Country!

Guess I need to pay attention to this thread, as I and Mr.Tim Morfoot will be on the way this Friday the 22nd to the BoatDr's to pick up a #2 CC Trailer for the 66 Skylark
Mr.Eric Clarke was gonna be my sidekick originally , but work calls, so we'll miss him Don't work too hard Eric while we're on the Mighty Mississippi

Chris-- check your e-mail
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 1:56am
Warm him up for me Marty and send him south!

Have a fun, safe trip to bayou country.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 2:03am
Gary, I was a little worried about the axle because the tops of the wheels seemed to be tilting in a little when the boat sits on the trailer.

My thought process was that I've come this far, have it all apart and a might as well put a new one on?

Both of the guides had serious bondo towards the bottoms and have since broken after a PO cheap fix. I'll have to take them down and fix. After having this happen, I see the axle covered in paint and begin to worry.

I'm going through this thing so I dont have to worry any more
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 2:09am
I hear there is some little get together for some kind of boats down south for us white legged northerners.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 2:17am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I'm going through this thing so I dont have to worry any more

I hear you,thats why I want to do those changes too.My axle seems to look the same,wonder if they were made that way or it was overloaded.The PO of mine put coil overload springs on too,I'm guessing because of the worn out springs and wet foam
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 2:20am
like these?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 2:26am
jbear....bout to winterize this weekend. I know you don't remember what that means since moving down south...but it means i'm envious and may have to come visit in feb when we are down for work!!

Gary, I'm going to get the opinion from the shop when I take it in to get welded. If they say its alright I'll try it and see how it does.

The way I understand it, the round axles can be bent to give them camber. This makes the tires bow slightly out. when the boat sits on it they are perfectly level. Square axles can't be bent. I'm sure most already know this but its fun to learn new stuff!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 2:30am
Who the heck is that? Those ARE white legs. Bet his head is white too why else would you wear a hat?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 2:33am
Gary, where do these bushings go? The axles I got from woody have spacers inside the ends and I didn't see the hat bushings on the old one. I'm guessing it's because they're completely shot?

hat bushing
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 2:37am
Chris...anytime. You'll like February here.

Well there are 2 guys in that picture that need no stinkin' hats and kinda look alike. No hat=big glare. Hat guy needs to visit the tan booth before coming south this year. I used to like to park the big white truck out back of the mall and visit during those cold windy afternoons...which are on the way for you.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 2:40am
You know Chris I did take the boat and trailer to the spring shop after he made up the springs to see what he thought.He added another leaf to the springs but never said anything about the axle.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 2:45am
Chris just be careful on the width,I don't think there is much give on fender clearance.
John,I already have have our spot at Parramore's,I'm ready!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 2:49am
I gotta call...don't have a spot yet. Me and Bill came down early saturday and left Sunday morning. Might come down friday if I can get Patti to give the ok. I'd kinda like her to come along.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 2:58am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Gary, where do these bushings go? The axles I got from woody have spacers inside the ends and I didn't see the hat bushings on the old one. I'm guessing it's because they're completely shot?

I'll take some pictures tommorow,I'm up way too late,as you can see I need my beauty rest
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 10:10am
The PO of our Classic replaced the axle on our #2 prior to us coming to get it. It had to be custom made due to its size. It fit well and trailer very well. He got it at Red Neck Trailers in North Carolina. He charged us for parts which was $425 including new tires.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 10:51am
Put the 3500 lb round one on it, with a little pre-load bent into it, better in every way.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 11:57am
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

Put the 3500 lb round one on it, with a little pre-load bent into it, better in every way.

Thats one option, but the other pieces (hubs, wheels, tires) that he'll be using will still only have a capacity in the 2000-2500 lb range- so a 3500 lb axle is a bit overkill and wont actually increase his load carrying ability.

As long as the axle is rated properly (the original was a 2000-2200 lb unit) then it shouldnt deflect. I put new round axles on my Skier trailers (2200 lb capacity) and they work great. I moved the original axle from my green boat onto my Tique trailer and that worked great too. No deflection, no issues.

Unless you want to go to 14" tires and upsize the hubs along with the axle, it doesnt make sense to start going crazy with capacity ratings. That was my original plan but when I investigated, I found that it simply was not worth it. 14" wheels and tires will not come close to fitting under your original fenders- you would need to go with something larger. The smallest 13" trailer tires available fit by about a finger width.

Like I said before, my #2 with new 2200 lb running gear has gone to GL and back twice without issue (1200 miles each way)... Im not sure how much more youre planning to stress your trailer than that, but it seems plenty capable to me.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 12:17pm
My bad, I thought the whole assembly axle/hub/wheel/fender was getting replaced.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 1:37pm
I agree with Tim on the overkill issue. Going to see if I can track one down this evening, otherwise I may put the old one back on and see how it does. Such a relief to not have to worry about springs!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 6:09pm
Well guys.........I decided to go with a round 3500# axle

I took the axle and springs to the shop here in town with the intention of having the new plates welded on the old axle. The shop owner talked me out of it.

He wasn't confident with the old axle and was sure the spindles are slightly bent. I agree with his reasoning, I already have the damn thing all torn apart, might as well put an axle on and do it right.

He then made a good point, for another 30 bucks I can have the stronger axle, spindles and peace of mind.

With the new springs, axle, hubs and wheels I will not have to worry a bit about the trailer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 6:36pm
For $30 I guess its not a big deal. If the old spindles were bent, then its definitely best to replace the old.

Be careful with your wheel selection now though... the larger spindles may drive you to use larger hubs, and some 12-13" wheels may not fit. Just something to keep in mind! I am a little bummed you wont be keeping the 4 lugs though!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 7:18pm
I talked wheels with the guys at the shop. I am going to take my hubs in tomorrow as I told him I would like to stay with the 4 bolt. He said he might be able to get me some 4 bolt hubs!

Anyone have suggestions on wheels or anything specific they've gotten recently?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 7:24pm
Id be surprised if you can get a 4-lug hub that fits a 3500 lb axle spindle, but who knows.

The closest I could find to the original steel wheels were the ones from Northern Tool. The bonus is that theyre cheap! They have both 4 lug and 5 lug.

Northern Tool 13"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The smallest 13" trailer tires available fit by about a finger width.

Tim, I'm thinking your talking about width?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 11:28pm
[QUOTE=storm34] Gary, where do these bushings go? The axles I got from woody have spacers inside the ends and I didn't see the hat bushings on the old one. I'm guessing it's because they're completely shot?
QUOTE]

Here are the pictures Chris.These bushings would go in each spring eye,one on each side,but if the spring eyes already have a bushing already press in you'll be able to use them as long as the bolt size is the same

This is the spring hanger on the front of the axle,you can see on each side of the spring,the "rim" of the bushing.You may have to shim the bolt on the side of the springs if the new bushings that are already in the springs are narrower.

This next one is the rear. For sure you'll need the bushings at the top of the shackle,the ones on the trailer frame. This picture is better so you can see how they are in. If you need anymore let me know.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2010 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The smallest 13" trailer tires available fit by about a finger width.

Tim, I'm thinking your talking about width?

Gary, its both height and width. The 13" GY Marathons I have on my #2's are stuffed into the fenders in every way. I get a *tiny* bit of rubbing when I hit a good sized bump, but not enough to mark up the fender or damage the tire. I suspect the wider/flatter fenders that sometimes came on the #2's would have a bit more clearance, but not this style.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2010 at 10:37pm
Thanks for the good picture Tim.Looks like I have alot of room to put the 13's on because my fenders are mounted on the guide uprights.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2010 at 11:34am
Yup, you would... or you could get rid of those goofy guides and move the fenders back down where they should be! Youre doing such a nice job returning the boat to original that you might as well bring the trailer back too!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2010 at 11:45am
The "goofy" guides are so very well made that I wonder if they were part of the optional loading equiptment. Im going to ask Art his thoughts next time I see him.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 14>
  Share Topic