Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

need advice for old school nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
trashman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need advice for old school nautique
    Posted: June-23-2005 at 12:19am
I have the opportunity to buy a neighbor's early 90's Correct Craft Nautique Excel. Anyone have any useful info. for me? Thanks!
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 7:07pm
Old school? lol. Just make sure he's kept it maintained and no cracks and stuff in the hull.

Make sure he winterizes it when it gets real cold and all that.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 10:09pm

Two words.......Wedge Plate LOL..

Seriously, here's a few,

learn how to replace your water impeller.

learn how to drive in the wind because wind rules.

know your water depth

the sheriff can haul you in for DUI on the water, not speaking from experience.

always carry a small tool kit.

Sun screen and lots of money because nobody is going to help with the gas.

Figure out how to post a picture of your boat.

Good luck on your first launch.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 1:55am
LOL Captan1. You are right on! They will never help with the gas but they will bring the beer if you twist their arms.

My best advice: drive slow until you learn the boat, pick up a copy of Chapman Piloting & Steamanship and read it cover to cover (you will thank me for that), and always respect other boaters and tow anyone who needs it (you never know when you will need a tow but sooner or later you will.)

(I passed a Mastercraft this afternoon like he was setting still, but then again he was being towed by someone in an aluminum skiff. How many times has anyone else seen a $30,000 boat being towed by an $750 boat? A lot I bet.)

Read Chapman's!!!!

Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
trashman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 2:50am
Thanks for the info. everyone. I'm actaully not a first-time boat owner. I recently sold my half of our 2000 SAN to the other co-owner since he moved away. Thought about getting another one just as new or newer but with the 3rd baby on the way wanted to stay out of debt but still have a great quality boat for the family. Don't think the DUI thing will be a problem since we don't drink and definitely don't have a problem helping others out since I grew up boating and have had my fair share of towing and being towed in to shore). Input on the actual type of wake that this boat puts out (properly weighted down of course) would be most helpful. The fact that it's a V-drive and not just a flat bottom ski boat makes me think it will be fine for boarding (no pro-wakeboarders here!!) I called a Nautique dealership who said it is a very unique and well made boat (and you can't beat paying cash!!!) Any other Excel or sistership Barefoot V-drive owners out there with some advice? Thanks!
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 2:36pm
The statement about the gas is great. Very seldom to people chip in.

What I've found is that people who are experienced boaters will generally volunteer to chip in. Those who haven't boated much don't have a clue. I generally don't ask for people to pay (it just doesn't feel right), but I gladly take donations that are offered.

I think I read this somewhere else but I thought it would be funnny to have a sign in the boat that said "This boat doesn't run on friendship alone"

mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 4:41pm
Hey you guys forgot the DUCT TAPE!
NO LONGER A MEMBER
backcrkr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backcrkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2005 at 5:59pm
The wake is greatyou need atleast 2 if not 3 sacks to weight it down properly. And don't forget tie-raps!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2005 at 11:17am
AWhite:

You beat me to it, but what I have heard of (but never seen...Urban legend???) is a T-shirt that say "this boat doesn't run on thanks".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic