NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 17>
Author
firefight-n View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 3:17pm
gotcha.. well good luck with your project im sure it will turn out great! send some pics when u get some and when i get back to business, ill be sure to do the same. i hve to restock on some supplies and money lol but that wont be to long... Catch'em up!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 3:18pm
John- do you have anything new done to your boat yet???
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

and since it's Eric's birthday,

Actually today it´s not his b-day its 2-9...
same mistake as last year...the info is wrong at his profile..needs update
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by firefight-n firefight-n wrote:

John- do you have anything new done to your boat yet???

Yeah I did a little work on it today. Draged it to my friends marina so I can really get down to business. Don't think my neighbors where to happy with me during the deconstruction the last few days, so I decided to bring it there. Got her all set up, tomorrow I will start grinding everything down and make a BIG order at Nida_Core and Fiberglass Florida.

I have been reading the last few posts about the stringer thing...... I am going to keep my seconday stringers just shorten them. Well I took a few Pics today but will have to uplaod them later, taking the fiance to dinner.

John
tuna_tugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 8:13pm
John, If you are going to put the secondery stringers what are you going to do about the gas tanks?
Don Liberman
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 11:31am
The stringers I am using are 1inch tall with a carbon skin. Very very srtong, so that wil give me the stiffness I need and the room I need to fit the tanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by jzarski jzarski wrote:

The stringers I am using are 1inch tall with a carbon skin. Very very srtong, so that wil give me the stiffness I need and the room I need to fit the tanks.

Interesting I look forward to seeing pictures and more information on how the tanks. Hope you had a good dinner last might and plenty of desert!!!!!
Don Liberman
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 3:05pm
Tuna, when u going to get started on the build?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 3:12pm

Tuna, when u going to get started on the build?
We were surposed to pull the boat today and weigh it but my partner/captain got a last minute charter yesterday so we will pull it either tomorrow am or monday. Once I weigh it and put it in the yard I'll know better. I now I have some punky wood in one of the main stringers but how much I'm not sure. One thing I know for sure is I'm going to put saddle tanks like John is doing but I can always just cut that section of the deck out and do the tanks. So bottom line is I'll know more next week.
Don Liberman
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 3:36pm
I gotcha... If anyone needs, i have a new stainless driveshaft, swim platform with brand new stainless brackets and some other things i will not be using on my build.
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 5:48pm

I gotcha... If anyone needs, i have a new stainless driveshaft, swim platform with brand new stainless brackets and some other things i will not be using on my build.

I will take it.. Email me a list of what you have and what you want for it. You are only a hour or so drive from me so I can come pick it all up..

Well I drilled a few holes in my stringers today to see what there condition is......... HAHAHAHA I laugh because there was no wood in them. When I say NO WOOD I mean zero. It was watery mud looking stuff. So with that in mind I am cutting them out like firfight did. I checked bow to stern and there was only about a 2 foot area that I had had wood.

If anyone has a easy way to cut these things out let me know. I tried a area with a grinder with a citting wheel and if that is the method then I will be about a week or so to get them all out. Not sure if there is a faster way. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to let me know.

John
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 12:01am
hey im gonna be at the station tm so i will go through the stuff i have and let u know on sunday... cutting the stringers out was a pain in the a** as u found out. What i did for most of it is took a saw zall with a long blade and put it on its side and she went to town on them alot easier than with the ol trustee grinder.
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 12:28am
I haven't cut them yet. I was going to attempt it tomorrow. I have a brand new saws all and new 12" blades so I guess I will give that a try. I was also thinking...... If I cut the tops of the stringers off, and clean all the wood out. So I would be left with two glass sides with no top. If I where to cut a new piece of 2x4 and resin it in that pocket then glass over it do you guys think that would work. I just really really don't want to cut these stringers all the way out. Lay the feed back on me!!

John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 2:55am

I haven't cut them yet. I was going to attempt it tomorrow. I have a brand new saws all and new 12" blades so I guess I will give that a try. I was also thinking...... If I cut the tops of the stringers off, and clean all the wood out. So I would be left with two glass sides with no top. If I where to cut a new piece of 2x4 and resin it in that pocket then glass over it do you guys think that would work. I just really really don't want to cut these stringers all the way out. Lay the feed back on me!!

John

I kind of like that idea. Seeings that your going to have to put motor mounts back in composit stringers won't support the engine so wood is the only material that will work. I thought about plywood but you can't lag into plywood so fur is the only thing that will really due the job. The 2"x4" fur worked for 30 years so if it has to be redone in another 30 years so be it. It won't be my problem!!!! Who are you going to get the composit secondery stringers from? I took pictures of the engine compartment yesterday with my partners camera and he will email them to me. I can't figure how to up load them to this site. I can forward them to your email but I don't have you address. How are you comming with the saddel tank design? my email is don@poolsrus.mx
Don Liberman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 3:23am
John, check out www.smithandcompany.org When I rebuilt my 35' wood cris craft I used his products and they were really user friendly. He has a penertrating epoxy for wood that is awesome. It is as thin as water and really soaks in but it allows the wood to expand and contract naturally so there is no cracking of the epoxy. His factory was close to where I lived at the time so I got to meet him. He developed the epoxy they use on the space shuttle heat shields. His stuff is really good, I spent two years redoing the cris and used it for 15 years and never had to redo anything that I used his products on.
Don Liberman
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 4:32am
Hadn't read this thread before because I know zero about Fish Nautiques. But, I read it tonight, and think it's pretty cool you guys have a little Fish Nautique fraternity going. Over the years a few Fish guys have popped in, but haven't stayed long.   Probably because nearly all the talk is about ski boats.   With you guys sustaining a good Fish conversation, I hope some of the others who happen by might jump in and stay a while. Good to mix it up here.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 11:46am
that boat, that far. foam
"the things you own will start to own you"
worththewake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 12:08pm
Just want to say thanks for posting your restoration info. I will be starting restoration on my Fish Nautique soon and the information I am learning here is priceless. Now I see all the foam I need to dig out...lol. By the way my Fish is powered by twin inboards. - I'm guessing my stringer layout will be different.

As you can see - I have my work cut out for me too....

Scott
1980 Fish Nautique - Twin V6 Crusaders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 12:24pm
welcome aboard..... fhe boat must handle nice with twins how about the speed?
Don Liberman
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 12:48pm
And much less draft, cool boat.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
worththewake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 12:51pm
Thanks - Haven't a clue - I bought her as a project - engines were already out. There were very few of these made with twins - I did find two others in my searches. I did manage to speak to the owner of one - His has twin V6 pleasurcraft engines. A little work done to them. He claims around 50mph topend. He also told me that in the mid 80's models they changed the design and moved the engine forward a bit. This in turn made the boat ride wetter. Not really sure of the validity of this - I am just passing on info from another Fish owner. His is currently for sale for $13k.
Scott
1980 Fish Nautique - Twin V6 Crusaders
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 6:58pm
John, make me an offer on the driveshaft, I dont know the specs on it at this moment and know nothing about inboard drives but i have the shaft and the bronze mount/bushing that holds the driveshaft frwd the prop. The swim platform Brackets have never been mounted still in paper are polished stainless paid 140 but cant take less than 75 for them and u can have the platform with them, its in good shape. When i get home tm i will go through and see if there is anything you can use if so Ill probably just give you anything else...
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 10:00pm

John, make me an offer on the driveshaft, I dont know the specs on it at this moment and know nothing about inboard drives but i have the shaft and the bronze mount/bushing that holds the driveshaft frwd the prop. The swim platform Brackets have never been mounted still in paper are polished stainless paid 140 but cant take less than 75 for them and u can have the platform with them, its in good shape. When i get home tm i will go through and see if there is anything you can use if so Ill probably just give you anything else...

OK, this is my email address so we don't have to do business over the forum.

jzarski1 at cfl dot rr dot com
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 12:25am
I have been pondering weather or not to pull the stringers and finally decided that I am going to do it. There is no reason why not to, I am this far into the boat and I would kick myself if I didn't do it and had an issue later on. Well it is not an easy task to get these things out. I tried a grinder, saws all and finally the winner was the circular saw. I set the blade about 1 inch and cut the tops off the stringer it was like cutting butter. Then I peeled the tops off like an orange. Once I had all the glass up, I stuck the pry bar under the wood stringer and lifted the whole thing right out. I was only able to do one today because all the messing around with finding the best way to do it. So Monday I will get the others up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 2:58am

I have been pondering weather or not to pull the stringers and finally decided that I am going to do it. There is no reason why not to, I am this far into the boat and I would kick myself if I didn't do it and had an issue later on. Well it is not an easy task to get these things out. I tried a grinder, saws all and finally the winner was the circular saw. I set the blade about 1 inch and cut the tops off the stringer it was like cutting butter. Then I peeled the tops off like an orange. Once I had all the glass up, I stuck the pry bar under the wood stringer and lifted the whole thing right out. I was only able to do one today because all the messing around with finding the best way to do it. So Monday I will get the others up.

John, I totally agree with you. Nice pictures and posting, I am learning a lot following your work. I have done a lot of resurch on composit stringers and carbon fiber. Looks like the way to go my only consern is engine mounts because I'm a dedicated inboard guy. The out boards are ok but I don't like fishing around them. I can rebuild and buy alot of gas for the cost of an outboard. What are you thinking about doing for engine mounts? My partners mother-in-law is very sick and he is leaving for the main land in the AM so it may be a few day until I can send you the pictures we took the other day of the engine compartment. If you need any mesurements of motor mount locations just let me know. Are you doing the work with the boat on the trailer or jack stands? I have been doing alot of reading on line about replacing stringers and it seen the biggest concern is on how you attach the stringers to the hull. Keep up the good work.
Don Liberman
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 3:12am
I agree on the inboard theory. I sold my 25' CC with twin 150 OB for this boat. My friends say I am crazy but I just really love the lines of this boat and to have the boat I want i needed to design it myself.

I have two ideas for motor mounts. One idea is to just scab a piece of wood in where the motor is going to go. The second idea and I think the way I am going to go is to use the composite poor from Nida-Core. Super strong and you can drill and tap it.

Right now I have the boat on the trailer but will put it on stands and level it before I start the restringer job. The composite company I talked to gave me some great info on what products to use for the best adhesion. One is Epoxy, the only problem is the cost. So he also told me I can use vinylester resin. Both have really good adhesive properties. The one bonus in using the vinylester is you can put pollyester resin over it. With epoxy you can't put resin over it. So my plan is to use vinylester on the first wetout then I can use pollyester over that and save a few bucks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 1:23pm

I agree on the inboard theory. I sold my 25' CC with twin 150 OB for this boat. My friends say I am crazy but I just really love the lines of this boat and to have the boat I want i needed to design it myself.

I have two ideas for motor mounts. One idea is to just scab a piece of wood in where the motor is going to go. The second idea and I think the way I am going to go is to use the composite poor from Nida-Core. Super strong and you can drill and tap it.

Right now I have the boat on the trailer but will put it on stands and level it before I start the restringer job. The composite company I talked to gave me some great info on what products to use for the best adhesion. One is Epoxy, the only problem is the cost. So he also told me I can use vinylester resin. Both have really good adhesive properties. The one bonus in using the vinylester is you can put pollyester resin over it. With epoxy you can't put resin over it. So my plan is to use vinylester on the first wetout then I can use pollyester over that and save a few bucks.

I thought I read some place that epoxy is the only thing the adhears good to old fiberglass. Check out ***************h and Company when I did my 35' chris all of the products were design to be a 50/50 mix +=20% What composit company are you useing?
Don Liberman
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2010 at 12:35pm
The company is Prisma Composites. They are located right here in my town. I am going to bring the boat right to them so they can measure the deadrise and length. He will custom make the stringers for my boat. He will also make bulkheads if I wanted him too. I will makeing these myself as I may have to make changes as I go.

John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2010 at 1:43pm

The company is Prisma Composites. They are located right here in my town. I am going to bring the boat right to them so they can measure the deadrise and length. He will custom make the stringers for my boat. He will also make bulkheads if I wanted him too. I will makeing these myself as I may have to make changes as I go.

John

Nice deal, I can't take my boat to them it's a little far. Could you tell them to keep the specs and details because I have looked at them and they are who I would go with when I do mine. Take pictures.
Don Liberman
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2010 at 4:38pm
Here is my 86 Fish Nautique. Had it a couple years now,been trying to slowly restore it "maintain it". still has original 351w motor. Last trip out tranny started slippen. just had the trans out to get seals replaced. Thinking about repower. not sure best engine route.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 17>
  Share Topic