Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how much does it weigh?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Leisha View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how much does it weigh?
    Posted: June-05-2005 at 3:18am
I have an 89 sport nautique and I can't find the owner's manual. Does anyone know the weight of my boat? Has anyone hauled their boat with a minivan?
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2005 at 2:07pm
I pull my Mustang with a Dodge Caravan, but the Mustang only weighs about 1600 pounds not including the water-logged foam (I think). Including the weight of the water-logged foam the boat weighs about 40 tons (or so it feels).

The water, which I am storing within the foam of my '68, and which I tow back and forth to the river, which causes my trans in the Dodge Caravan to be overworked, bothers me - but not so much as to cease boating. At least, not until I have time to get my '66 running. Anyone else here understand my reasoning?

I have been asked why I have two boats. The answer: In case one of them breaks.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2005 at 2:33pm
Did they make a Sport Nautique in '89? Perhaps a typo? Anyway, check the reference section of this site for brochures from most recent years. They usually list the weights. Add roughly 1000 lbs. for the trailer and maybe 300 lbs. for a full tank of gas.

As far as towing with a minivan goes, they vary quite a bit. What model are you talking about? In general, I probably wouldn't do any demanding towing with most minivans (long distances, hills, desert heat, etc.) unless I wanted some expensive transmission repairs. As long as you're within 500 lbs. or so of the max. rating, however, I wouldn't worry about short trips every once in a while. If you're towing your boat all the time (not just occasionally transporting it from here to there) you might want to get a vehicle that does a good job, rather than one that barely does the job.
scomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2005 at 2:28am
About fifteen years ago when I bought my first Ski boat(78'SN)all I had to tow it with was a 1987 Pontiac Grand Am (4 cylinder). The car was a front wheel drive and you ought to have seen the looks when we put in at the local lake. The only thing funnier than putting the boat in was taking the boat out. My ski buddy would get in the boat and help push with the boat(and car and trailer) with the boat in gear, full throttle until the prop come out of the water, that would give the car enough momentum to get off the ramp. My dad still gets mad when we talk about me going to the bank and taking out my first loan to buy a boat and didn't have a truck to pull it with. He said I had my prioroties all wrong.It was a matter of opinion....

So my opinion is don't worry about what your tow vehicle is as long as it can get to the lake on the weekends. If it breaks down you can always call a cab to get to work on monday morning.
SCOMER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic