NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trany trouble

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
new86owner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trany trouble
    Posted: June-28-2005 at 11:24am
Yep
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2005 at 9:16pm
86 is yours a 351?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2005 at 6:55pm
Jimbo,

I pulled the brackets out with the transmission.   Then I took the brackets off the transmission.

I only replaced the reverse rings. Everything else looked to be in good condition.

Here's a pic of the brackets.

john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2005 at 12:15pm
complete 71 rebuild kit                     http://www.amarket.com/imabw071.htm
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2005 at 6:22pm
new86owner...
how did you disconnect the bracket from the tranny? With a socket? It looks like a really tight fit.

Did you replace the forward plates also? I'm waiting until I get it open to see what needs replacing. It was supposed to have been rebuilt about two years ago. I've got some other projects going on right now so I haven't had a chance to work on it lately.
I think my problem came from backing up when I didn't realize there had been some nylon rope wrapped around my prop.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2005 at 10:01am
I had the same problem a couple weeks ago. Lost reverse.

These posts are cracking me up. It is easiest to unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing and slide it off. You don't need to remove the starter or lift the engine out. I didn't even loosen the engine mounts. Just removed the transmission mounts and propped the bellhousing up on some boards. Me and a buddy lifted it out. The transmission was easy to take apart. Not too many parts. Anyway, the reverse clutch rings were both busted so I replaced those, along with the springs around the rings and put it back together. Fairly simple job actually.

Here's the broken clutch ring.

Oh yeah, and the rebuild only costed me $100 in parts from SkiDIM. I wouldn't pay $750 for a swap if I were you. It's too easy to fix the one you have.
cshire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2005 at 5:17am
the added bonus of lifting engine and trans together is that, assuming you don't adjust engine or trans mounts while they are out of the boat, the engine and trans should line up to prop shaft with almost no adjustment needed upon re-install.

In my case is was swapping engines. the new engines with the old mounting brackets bolted on required no relignment to prop shaft after being intalled.
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2005 at 5:13am
I just did one today like cshire suggested, but Tribal150's idea should work too.

Anyone have experience opening up the transmission? What kind of mess is in there?
Tribal150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribal150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2005 at 11:49pm
I just swapped mine out about a month ago, all I did was just loosen the bolts on the engine mount that attach it to the stringer, then I pulled the bolts from trans mount to the stringer, I unbolted the trans from the bellhousing, I put a 4x4 accross the sides above the motor and used a ratchet strap to lift the motor untill it was level. Then the trans just slid right out. I pulled the cooler out with the tranny to keep from making a mess. All told I had it out in about 35 mins. If you are looking to get one call fantastic finishes marine a call, They do an exchange with a 1 year warranty for $750. There number is (877) 369-6693. or email at eric@ohio.net they are located in medina ohio and will ship anywhere.

Rob
cshire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2005 at 11:06pm
It is much easier to lift the engine and the transmission out of boat together with an engine hoist and then separate them.

It is possible to pull tranny without pulling engine. In addition to bellhousing bolts you will need to unbolt starter.

Splined shaft on transmission will simply slide out of matching hole in damper plate. It is not necessary to remove damper plate or flywheel.

Make sure you have trans oil cooler disconnected as well.

Good Luck.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2005 at 1:37am
Need some help with the Velvet Drive. I bought the 84 SN last summer. Trany was supposidly rebuild a year earlier. I lost reverse (noticed it when I was docking--so no hard shifting). Changed the fluid; no luck. Tried to pull the transmission to see what's going on but had some problems...
I took out all the bolts at the engine/bellhousinging but couldn't get the left side loose. It's really hard to reach the lower bolts holding the trany to the bellhousing. I read the manual but not much info on removing the trany from the boat. I searched the form and found something about using a jack. What I'm planning to try tomorrow is...
Connect a 2x4 to the rear engine lift hook. Support one end on the side of the boat; place a jack on the other end. Remove the two nuts connecting the engine mount to the stringer (hope it's not too hard to realign). Start jacking. Pull the trany toward the stern.
Will this work? Will the trany just slide out? Do I need to easy the trany from the bellhousing, have some scranny-armed person stick their arm in and unbolt the flywheel and damper plate to get the trany out?
Thanks again guys...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic