Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1979 barefoot supreme? Questions...   *Updated*
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 barefoot supreme? Questions... *Updated*

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 3:57am
That thing is beautiful..
   I don't who did what to this boat, but it has to be a 79.. the hull number, and the trailer manufacturing date, all say 79. Plus, the dash is consistent with that of the other 79's ive seen.. I have no idea what the specific history of this boat is, but Its certainly starting to intrigue me...
afd414- I will post some pics in the next few days as i started to get into the repairs, the 460 takes up a TON of room under the hood.. the exhuast manifolds hang way over the floor. It aint the prettiest thing right now either, someone poorly painted it, and it looks like it spent some time under water.. but it runs very well. Starts right up at idle and just purs..   One issue Im having trouble sourcing the housing for the raw water pump.. I got the impellers but the previous owner busted the plastic housing.. its a jabsco pump, i haven't been able to find this particular housing. Any suggestions?
dsums View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 1:35am
Hopefully this will work. Haven't posted pictures here yet.
dsums View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 1:26am
I have to go with a couple of the others here. There is no way that is a 79. I owned 87 Ski Supreme from 1991 - last year. I had no structural issues with it at all. It handled like a tournament boat should. had a really comfortable driver setup that was better than some boats of the era. When water ski magazine did the annual boat tests it was a very highly rated boat and if I remember correctly the floor was fibreglass panels not fibreglass over wood. I had just under 800 hrs on it and the person that bought used it a lot last summer and had no issues.If you a decent skier that stays at 15 -22 off the wake is not an issue and with an extended pylon it has decent wake board wakes.
afd414 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afd414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 3:59pm
I'd love to see a pic of that 460... I've only seen them in few rare i/o's
www.mcfeeandnewton.com
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 2:00am
supra, supreme, whatever. LOL

I've got thick skin, and it doesn't bother me. If it did I wouldn't be on this site

Tom
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:38am
horkn, TSM6 us a Supra, not a Supreme. You were kind of arms down for the jab. BKH
Livin' the Dream

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:22am

No, I know little about supremes.
http://www.sixtiescity.com/PopTV/Images/supremes.jpg

I bet there are a lot of things that you don't know as well;)

In any case, $600 is a smokin' deal for a real ski boat that needs a little work.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 10:21pm
Hull number says 79.. Anyone got any pictures of a "true" 79 so i can see the differences?? Also, i know the floors are wood, did the later ones have composite floors to? The wood is still in good shape, surprisingly. I plan to tear into this thing next tuesday at our shop, (I work at a marina). I'm in college right now, and have been looking to get something cheap just to get me out there.. My plan right now is to make all necessary repairs, spruce it up a bit and run it. I've already become attached to this thing i think, so in the future i may go for a full resto. Anyway, I know this is a CC forum but if anyone is interested ill throw some pics up of the progress as i make headway.   Thanks for all the great help and info thus far..
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 11:47am
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

I knew the ts6m or whatever were composite designed, but I didn't know about that model.

The one that was posted from CL as a 81 looks older than the one you got, so while I don't know my supra paint year looks, it definitely looks newer.

You don't know your Supremes either.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 11:16am
Check out the last two numbers in the HIN

If its not an 85+, somebody went through rediculous effort to make it look like one.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 2:17am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Mrusso you lucky shi!t.

Hate to burst your dream, but that boat is not a 79.

Everything about it sez to me that it is an 85,86 or 87 boat. I'm betting its an '85

If so, the slalom wakes won't be quite so nice. However, its a composite boat so the only rot should be the seat bases.

The trailer design, the decals, the while gel under the waterline, the driver seat, all say its an 85+.

Wow! You really think so??? I would be floored if thats true, I remember checking the title against the hull number and im pretty sure the hull number had a 79 in it..   Either way, floors and stringers seem to be in good shape as far as i can tell..
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 2:17am
I knew the ts6m or whatever were composite designed, but I didn't know about that model.

If so, that was an even better score than the great deal I thought it was.

The one that was posted from CL as a 81 looks older than the one you got, so while I don't know my supra paint year looks, it definitely looks newer.

Go out and get yourself a new raw water pump impeller while you are at it;) I can pretty much guarantee the one in it is shot.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 1:31am
Originally posted by Mrusso94 Mrusso94 wrote:

Do you have any pics of your deck off repair job??

yes, but i think now you won't need them!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 1:07am
Mrusso you lucky shi!t.

Hate to burst your dream, but that boat is not a 79.

Everything about it sez to me that it is an 85,86 or 87 boat. I'm betting its an '85

If so, the slalom wakes won't be quite so nice. However, its a composite boat so the only rot should be the seat bases.

The trailer design, the decals, the while gel under the waterline, the driver seat, all say its an 85+.

River Rat to Mole
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 6:46pm
For 600 or so, that is a steal.

I would definitely not call a ski supreme a yugo. It's actually a very good boat. Even if it needs a full stringer repair, you more than likely can run it a while and plan on the repair work if you can do it on your own.

fwiw, When I bought my 78 martinique in 2001, it had under 200 hours on it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 4:42pm
Ran across this 81 on craigslist a few years ago.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 1:28pm
Oh thats going to be a beauty. Good buy either way for the price man. We messed up the rudder on our 68 skylark backing it up onto the car trailer I was watching the tires and didnt think about the rudder being to low. We were able to get the rudder bent back but I had to glass in a new piece of wood back there and we ended up having to buy a new rudder box. All in all no big deal. Cost us 120 for the box and whatever the wood/glass was.
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 4:08am
So i bought the boat today.. paid a little over 600 for it.. I know its not a correct craft, i've always been a CC guy but I do like this boat, and I cant even find another picture of this boat online anywhere, so its seems to be a rare find. Stringers and floors seem solid, the 460 purs, just needs some cleaning up.. The whole interior needs to be done but theres not much to these older boats. The main thing is the rudder repair, the trailer rolled into a dirt pile and the rudder stopped it. Bent the rudder and lifted the backing board that the rudder bearing flange bolts to right of the inside of the hull.. Ill get some pics of the damage when i pull the tank. Other then that it seems to be a sound vessel, just needs a lot of cleaning.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 11:38am
Hahaha boom.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Im with hollywood.

Gotta ski, are you the resident turd polisher hahahah?

nope, Grand Poobah turd polisher

River Rat to Mole
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 6:11pm
Im with hollywood.

Gotta ski, are you the resident turd polisher hahahah?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 4:58pm
I would hardly compare a Supreme to a Yugo. In its time, it was a pretty good boat. It certainly wasn't a low price point or disposable boat.

However, the value of a Supreme of that vintage is lower than that of a CC or MC by a couple grand. I see early Supremes from 3 to 6 K routinely. The MCs and CCs of same vintage are a grand or two more.
On the other hand, it will cost you the same to do floors and stringers or engine work. Thus, for a basket case, all things being equal, I'd try to find a CC or MC. If you can find a Supreme for a really good price, and it's safe to operate, why not go for it.

You may also have a bit more trouble finding answers to questions on Supremes. The company changed hands two or three times since the early 80s. They still build Supremes, but the company today has practically no relationship to the company of the 80s, other than its name.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:49pm
I would buy a Supreme over a MasterCraft of that era. The approved towboat history list on USAWaterski only goes back to '83, so I'm not even sure what was out there in 1979. A lot of junk came out in the mid 80s.

Pauly-Banana posted a nice MFG comparo from around 82/83.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:40pm
If you are going to polish a terd dont polish a yugo (supreme), get a Correct Craft (porshe).

Tim

Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:39pm
Yeah.. I'm aware of the investment ill be making.. I work at a marina in northern NJ, so i have access to supplies, parts, tools etc. for pretty cheap.. hopefully that helps to keep the cost down.. we will see, i havent seen the boat in person yet, Im going on friday.. it could be a basket case.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:22pm
Yeah, at that price, if you just want to get on the water, it could be the ticket, as long as its back isn't broken.
Guys here, including me, have polished bigger turds. Usually with good results, just be careful not to get too invested.

River Rat to Mole
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:21pm
You can buy it for $1000 but the fact is that you might end up putting 2x that into it and you will still have a boat worth $1000.

I would save your $$ and look for a '93 or new ski nautique in the fall. In fall you will get a great price compared to shopping right now.

Tim

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:14pm
You are in Waldo territory looking for a quality ski boat for $1,000. Good luck man! A slightly rotted out boat will get you a few seasons on the water.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:10pm
The barefoot supremes are few and far between but they are so freakin cool. My uncle has an 87 ski supreme its a super cool boat. The graphics and the fact that its older has always attracted me to the barefoot supremes. Plus big block power ;). They ride like a log wagon in chop though. Basically everything all the guys have told you is accurate from what Ive heard.

I remember reading somewhere one year of a supreme had a recall for the stringers coming apart from the hull during operation which resulted in 45 mph in reverse at the will of the boat . But Im sure all those have been recalled by now haha.

The barefoot supreme hull is exactly the same as a ski supreme if Im correct.
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 1:11pm
I here ya.. Honestly, i cant be to picky with my boat.. I'm in college right now and need some cheap just to get me out there.. I ski on weekend mornings with a friend on his malibu bare footer response but i'd love to have something of my own. This boat is listed for 1500, but it needs some work, i can probably get it for about 1,000. Though i tend to get a bit spoiled on my friends malibu, i have skied off of everything from small outboards and jet skis to "power sailers".. The fact that this boat is an actual ski boat is good enough for me.. Plus, its a 32 year old ski boat, there's something about thats just cool about that. And honestly, I can think of more cons then pros in having the 460, but then again.. its a 460, you know what I mean.

Do you have any pics of your deck off repair job??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic