Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 140141142143144 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 12:07pm
Roy, looking good! You're doing all those tricks MUCH faster than some of your earlier videos, it's amazing. Also, I'm very glad you ditched that birthing position 3-point.

I have finally gotten my back step offs and back deeps going this year. No pics though because the only time I get good enough water to do this stuff the weather is crap or it's dark. Also, the dog refuses to run the camera.

Short line flips coming soon...

I've been working on our show ski footing mostly. We've got a 4 man bomb out line, 3 flyers and 3 beach starts for the show this year. Hopelly a 15 man foot line by state. Of course the Koehler girls are still ripping it up out there too! You can expect more barefooting for our 2010 season.
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 3:13am
Mark Mel has been out i think once, I have been out once, its been rainy the last couple weeks so alot of debree in water so hope for more footing soon.

-Phil
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 2:37am
Been a slow season so far on this thread. Any you guys out there footing?! Andy (GlassSeeker)and I have been ripping it up. Took a ride on Sunday at my ski club. Had a few setbacks: broke an alternator belt. Went to town for a new one. Fixed it. 3 runs later my driver (wife) hit a rock and jacked the prop. Only bummer other than the 400 bills I had to lay out is I was skiing out of my mind!

Hot Sunday Footset

Hollywood, you oput there footin'? Kapla? Mark?
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 5:29pm
nice face plant!!!! follow that path and you will get it.... but IF you get your hands on a boom..well thats another story..I tried both ways and the boom really is another world....now I got stucked as my boat is under complete tlc (stringer & engine).
BTW that engine sound really good
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2009 at 5:01pm
I would also suggest you obtain some wetsuit shorts at the very least, better yet a barefoot suit and shorts.

boardshorts won't provide the protection you will need.

yes it can be done in boardshorts and a vest but when you stop you will want to sit down... this can cause an unwanted high speed enema. But to each his own.
This is the life
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2009 at 4:48am
Haha good idea, however I don't think a cup will stay in place wearing just boardshorts. Anyway, thanks very much for the advice. Looking forward to try again, won't be within 1,5-2 weeks or so though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 7:59pm
just repeat what you did in your video, sometimes its better to plant while the boat is getting up to speed(like you did), just have a little more patience and wait while staying in position, knees bent, shoulders back, hips in front of shoulders slightly, drive your hips forward to resist the force.

you can keep from bouncing by laying your legs on the surfer(putting some weight on the front of it) but the way you did it was OK since it made your knees bent already.

I think if I was you I'd do it the exact same as in your video, it will get easier, you will get better and you will ski it away. just don't try to ski super far, let go before you wipe out. then do it again.   

and get a cup
This is the life
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 7:22pm
After reading the last couple pages of this thread last week I just had to give it a shot while we were out last saturday.
I have done some barefooting on the cable about 10 years ago or so, and tried once or twice behind the boat back then.
The first try the surfer started bouncing so I had to get up to save my nuts while the boat wasn't at speed yet. However, I managed to ski about the same distance as my 2nd try.
Any comments or suggestions on bodyposition or whatever? Thanks!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 7:28pm
last that I recall he was having some issues with the tranny.. it was so bad that they were thinking on paying plane ticket to eric to fly him to aruba to have that tranny fixed....
appart from that no news....
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 2:09am
Bump... What happened to K.O.?
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 1:33pm
Stick with it, that water looks all too familiar! You'll appreciate the calm water that much more if/when you get some.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 3:01am
Kapla:

I got to hand it to you: That is the ROUGHEST freaking water I have ever seen ANYONE try to learn in. El Professor had some serious courage to attempt a toe-hold in white caps and was rewarded by a tasty face plant!

Your second video showed a lot of improvement by getting your butt off the water, and your arms were longer and straighter which is good. Try to keep your ankles under your knees, not pressed too far forward.

I think if you try to find a way to get good water, you will have more success. Barefooting really is meant for smoother water. GOOD JOB!

Here is some footage of my friend Craig his first time last summer:

Craig on the Boom

If you want to see what is possible on the boom, here is GlassSeeker last summer. Beats the notion booms are for babies:

Andy on the Boom
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 12:50am
one more

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 12:22am

some videos

the profesor...

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

only 2 barefooters that I know here..not common to find them...

Then you need to train your driver.

Have them watch barefoot videos with you. Lane Bowers (thefootersedge.com) has an instructional video that covers driving, speed, boom height, etc. If one thing is off a bit, speed, acceleration, you start bouncing, it can really make it hard for you learning.
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 7:28pm
only 2 barefooters that I know here..not common to find them...
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:57pm
Thanks Kapla. I credit my willingness to listen and the skills of my footer friends. The rope length is 75', the speed is 41 MPH +/- behind the boat; 39 MPH on the boom.

What you need to do is hook up with skilled footers in your area. Driving is very important, especially while learning. Good driving, proper speeds, proper acceleration, knowing when to cut it when the footer is in trouble are all important. An unskilled driver can get there, but at the expense of the skier.
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 1:30pm
LB that amazing... what lenght are u using behind the wakes... and speed looks very high... I hope to be doing that by spring...
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 12:47pm
Hey guys, as you know from this thread, I started barefooting last summer. I certainly got hooked on it and made it my passion to learn it. I was blessed to hook up with some really good footers, and skied thru the winter.

This video shows certain techniques when I first learned them, and what they are like now with 6 months of hard work. The point is not to boast, but to let you know you CAN do this, even if you are a mid-40's guy like me.

Enjoy the ride:

6 months of Barefoot Practice
Got Foot?
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 11:57pm
The gloves may actually create more strain on the boom. The big problem is the large diameter of the boom, the gloves will make it even harder to get you fingers all the way around it. Even when you switch to the handle, you should try to stay away from the gloves. You really do not need to grip the handle all that tightly and if you fall, you don't want such a sticky grip that you'll tear your shoulders up.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 11:26pm
Gloves are for gardening. Ditch them. Get rid of the death grip, relax, support your weight with your feet by having long relaxed arms. 1 to 2 minutes is enough. Quality, not quantity.

You will RARELY see a professional wear gloves. The crew I foot with never wear gloves. We burned them with our skis. LOL
Got Foot?
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 9:46pm
Yes. Good job!
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

They are thrilling...very fast... I like it...

Congratulations on your success!
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 6:07pm
You should be able to knock off a few mph when you are on the boom, too.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 6:03pm
Yes runs were like 3 minutes long and then had to let go... and no crashes as i landed on muy back.... They are thrilling...very fast... I like it...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 5:47pm
yeah...death grip will go away as you get more relaxed/comfortable with the whole situation...gloves really are not necessary.

Remember to breathe, barefooting is high intensity so after a few runs it is best to stop, before you eat it, your best efforts will be your first 3 or 4 times...and its quickly downhill from there and leads to crashes and injuries so know when to stop...before you are too tired out...it takes it out of you very quickly.
This is the life
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 5:21pm
Awesome, I took the same path you did, tried long line then I got a boom.

I also had the forearm pain on the boom. It's definitely from the death grip, once I loosened up, it went away.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 4:23pm
Well I went for the boom on saturday in the morning... it was a little bit choppy but it was possible... now thats a difference... boom makes it way easier.... after solving some posture things with the feet hips I was barefooting... but men after 3 minutes run i was busted... my forearms were bursting... to much force over there..I did 3 - 4 runs total that day and i was enough.. then i tried to wakeboard and couldnīt do much...
then i went sunday afternoon.. water was almost flat and did like 3 runs.. and the more i ride the more comfortable it feel... I still grab the bar but next i will go for the start with the short handle ...I have a couple of vids from the saturday ride that will upload this nigth....
My arms still hurt... to much force graving the boom, gloves are a must for the boom...
more to come...
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 2:27am
Well I hit a pretty solid back deep start and backward ski with Andy (GlassSeeker) today. I have been working on this one with Andy since mid-October. It was hard to stay on it in the winter when the water was 45 deg. Now the water is about 60 deg., I have been back on it. Not the clearest view and lots of spray, but there I am skiing.

Roy Skis Backwards

I estimate it took 100 starts to get here. Sounds like a lot. Maybe more? I was tempted to get discouraged about halfway thru. Some days I felt like I was digressing, but Andy assured me otherwise. This technique is not for the timid, or easily discouraged, but the feeling is a RUSH. Worth it.

Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2009 at 4:09am
you scored!
a boom will make it way easier
take a few pictures of it and post them...it will either bolt on or clamp on to your pylon and then a cable will clip to your bow eye, you need to make those cables the right length for your boat, its pretty easy.
Then just do what you have been doing with the wakeskate but hold onto the boom, it will steady things real nice, you will get right up if the water is smooth...find smooth water...or you may be better off behind the boat...you have to get smoother water than your video showed.
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 140141142143144 152>
  Share Topic