Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 9596979899 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 4:43pm
nice Steve K! by the end of the video I guess you were exhausted!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by footinforever11 footinforever11 wrote:

Back to the cup vs no cup conversation. A friend and I last night, messing around so that we can have a 4 man back foot line in next years show. Very easy on the stomach and groin :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q5ctfgwffY&feature=youtu.be

Nice clean turns and step-offs. Kick it up a notch now.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

so using a double stack pylon or a SFH, will definetely help on the LLBD rigth?

Definitely won't hurt!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 5:24pm

No.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 5:25pm

nice Steve K! by the end of the video I guess you were exhausted!

Tired, but more drowned then anything. Plus lots of lightning from the incoming thunderstorm...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 5:35pm
Love those back steps, quite the hop passenger side guy has.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 4:55am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

No.

Why not?
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 12:21pm
Just like too high of a boom. Arms come up off your butt, get loose, and all around loss of control ensues. There is such a thing as too high of a pull when learning. Your mileage may vary but I've seen it happen.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 1:41pm
I would use the high pole to teach it.
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 1:44pm
I do use a high pole to teach, just not a "super" high pole/pull.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 1:59pm
SFH/double high pole would still have a shallower angle at 70'+ than a 5' off a moderately high boom, no? High boom is great for teaching the back deep (Seipel had it waaaay up there for us) so Im curious why you wouldnt want to use the (super) high attachment point when first learning the LLBD. Seems like that would be slightly easier than the normal fly high + short rope (70') when first learning. Does something else change with the longer rope and higher pull?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 2:09pm

Arms come up off your butt, get loose, and all around loss of control ensues.

If you can keep your arms down great, but that's just one more thing to think about and do. It also starts pulling you off the water to the point where you can't keep enough weight on your own feet and you get stuck chicken winged skimming along on your big toes. Seen it and done it myself.

I just think there's a sweet spot and a crazy high boom and super fly is above it. I also don't like the idea of being spoiled with such high pull points. Keep in mind I'm talking about the learning stage.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 2:09pm
I will take the high pull (SFH or otherwise) for all barefooting. Does it make it easier? I would not say "easier." I would say it is more "forgiving" than a lower pull. That is, you are not punished as quickly for mistakes. BTW, bouncing is not a function of the pull height. Bouncing is an action-reaction sequence that all newbies go through whether on the front or back start.
Got Foot?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

BTW, bouncing is not a function of the pull height.

Sure it is. Technique first but you cannot ignore the [upwards] force. I realize I'm being technical but it is simply undeniable.

Once you learn to go with the pull instead of against its obviously easier. Sounds like Andy is coming around to the 17.4%
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 2:16pm

Bouncing is an action-reaction sequence that all newbies go through whether on the front or back start.

I thought bouncing in plane out stage of LLBD, was more related to too much speed (or the obvious waves)??? Not sure being pulled, stiff as a board, through the water, in a back deep, that their is much action-reaction that I feel like I am able to control...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 2:21pm
I'm not talking about the driving Steve.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 2:24pm
Technique WAY first by a huge margin. Bouncing is caused by not rolling your shoulders down and staying stiff in the middle. The difference in angle between a 7 foot pole and a 14 foot pole is 5 degrees.   I could do the vector analysis and show you how minimal the upward pull difference is with that minimal difference of angle, but I am sure the physics would not convince you. Barefooting is mental. I you believe something to be true, it usually is.
Got Foot?
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 2:31pm

I'm not talking about the driving Steve.

Exactly, I have been blessed with excellent driving (Kevin and my neighbor)for all my LLBD attempts. Am I just incredibly lucky that I have always had good form (I doubt it), I can only think of two occasions where I have had bounce and both times, my drivers immediately took responsibility. So I question the action-reaction theory on Backs. Fronts Deeps I completely agree, bounce starts if you get too far on your back.

I can make no comment on the SFH for LLBD's because I have never had the opportunity to try. Nor have I ever tried off the standard pull point, so I have no reference for that either.

Okay just going to put this all out of my head and going to continue to concentrate on the patience part of it all...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 3:33pm
There is no such thing as being spoiled by a high pull...this thinking will only limit your progress
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 3:39pm
Not too long ago it was thought that you could not learn a back deep before you knew how to ski backwards but today it is the norm to learn to ski backwards by doing a BD
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 4:09pm
So you're admitting there is a pull difference and then telling me if I believe it it's true.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 4:13pm

Bouncing is caused by not rolling your shoulders down and staying stiff in the middle..

What I'm trying to say is too high of a pull can get you out of position. You guys are all missing my point.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 4:14pm
OK you win. I confess under oath. I admit it.
Got Foot?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 4:15pm
Didn't we go all through this once before....

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 4:17pm

the vector analysis and show you how minimal the upward pull difference is with that minimal difference of angle, but I am sure the physics would not convince you.

Um where were you when I already did this? Also, "minimal" is a rather subjective term and I'm not trying to convince you what is minimal and what isn't but rather the fact it's there, which you already seem to believe. We are going in circles.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 5:13pm
Win? No.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 5:35pm
Anyone who would attempt to ski backwards on thier barefeet must have gotten slipped some crazy pills somewhere along the way, might as well confirm it by putting one of them super high contraptions on your boat.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Anyone who would attempt to ski backwards on thier barefeet must have gotten slipped some crazy pills somewhere along the way, .

Now that right there is a point you can't arge, HA!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 2:13pm
Andy, play around with your new back step off ski yet?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 1:47pm
Nope I did ride my wood cg trick skis and after falling on my face a few times I pulled off some 180s and 360s. I dont like to have to go back and pick up a ski so I prefer footing without skis...have them mainly for decorations.
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 9596979899 152>
  Share Topic