Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4950515253 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 7:43pm
The "You're doing it wrong" line by 75 Tique...

LMAO! Hands are short or legs long on the ankle banger but everything else is absolutely perfect! I'll buy one of each, seriously. Black t-shirt with white gel stick figures.

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

I eat, sleep, ride, talk, live, and love barefooting

Well come on lover boy, let's go do some footing right now! It is 92 degrees at Sheridan, and a light breeze from the North at 6 MPH, and there is 6 hours of good daylight left!
Got Foot?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 8:06pm
No I Think its supposed to be elongated, really shows the force of the handle hitting the foot expanding the spine
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

I eat, sleep, ride, talk, live, and love barefooting

Well come on lover boy, let's go do some footing right now! It is 92 degrees at Sheridan, and a light breeze from the North at 6 MPH, and there is 6 hours of good daylight left!

taking the next flight to CA right now....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 10:22pm
larry, lmao..Alan can make them, hahah, i'd buy a set also...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 4:23pm
I was out yesterday!! nice waters, did some longline runs and then some boom...was little late so I only had the chance to try little on the one footers...
Looks like I had one of the drysuit straps loose as i had lots of fine spray hitting my face..that was annoying!!!!now I see why Glasseeker like the goggles...

Oh my gear arrived finally (necklace, and BFC shoes trainers) so probably will be trying bacerds in the near future...
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 4:31pm
Seb: Good job on the neck brace. How were your one foots? Did you try the suggestions I gave you?

I hit the water on Saturday and posted 3 huge sets. Making killer progress on the one foot wake crossings. My basic side is solid, still a tentaive on the reverse foot, but making it through the wake on it! I spent a lot of time on the back to front on shoe skis, too. I make about 3 out of 5 of them. I won't likely attempt on barefeet until I am 9 for 10.

Hoping to hit it tonight!
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 4:45pm
Roy..I tryed one foots several times in dryland, i´m working on the posture, and lifting the leg using the stomach, I´m there.
I did one attemp yesterday, seemed fine, I´m ok with the right foot up, but struggle with the left foot up...then had to quit, I was exhausted....
Oh and I´m a master in the faceplants, and toe catchs.. to a wild one yesterday...left a mark in the forehead!!!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 4:48pm
does it ever give you a headache when you faceplant like that? Seems like I wouldnt be able to take more than 3-4. How often does that happen? Is it possible to fall while barefooting and have it not hurt? Maybe I should take some excedrin with me.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 5:00pm
Seb: Everybody has a "reverse" foot, or the side that is hardest. After 2-3 years of one-foots, may basic and reverse are about the same. Keep working, keep adjusting, keep crunching. You will get it.

Justin: after 3-4 good headpackers it is time to hang it up for the day. At the end of yesterday I took 3 falls doing front to back and 2 more on surface hops; I called it a day. A neckbrace is a good piece of safety gear. I wear mine all the time. Not sure if you have seen this video of me and my footer friends the first 8 months of my barefooting obsession:

Barefoot Wipeouts
Got Foot?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

does it ever give you a headache when you faceplant like that?

Sorry to laugh, but yeah, that kind of comes with the territory. If you have enough time to think about it, trying to protect your face/head by getting your arms/elbows up (kind of like in boxing) might help, but as often as not, if you do that you end up with your
wrist(s) smacking you in the forehead which hurts even more. Some of the better teachers on here might have some advice on minimizing that through careful riding position, speed.... but I can't help you with that.

It is definitely a sport that involves getting knocked around a bit. I gave up working on backwards and backdeeps until I got a neckbrace because the falls were so painful, if not dangerous.

However, getting knocked around a bit can be minimized by good training and taking small steps in your advancement. If you are doing it on your own (i.e. no coach) then it will be a little tougher, but doable.
Look at what Kapla has accomplished just by guidance offered here.
Falling an not getting hurt will come with time and comfort as your body will learn what to do when you fall.

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 5:29pm

Justin: after 3-4 good headpackers it is time to hang it up for the day. At the end of yesterday I took 3 falls doing front to back and 2 more on surface hops; I called it a day. A neckbrace is a good piece of safety gear. I wear mine all the time. Not sure if you have seen this video of me and my footer friends the first 8 months of my barefooting obsession:

Barefoot Wipeouts

Yes I did see that video which is mainly what got me thinking. I guess I knew it would not feel very good, I was just wondering how much one person could take. I really would love to get up and have some success for 45-60 seconds when we go it august. I know I am going to fall, it would be nice to minize the hard crashes so I can stick with it and learn faster. Also I did notice your neck brace and do think that would be good especially if I was trying to do tricks. At this point Im trying to just survive.

I feel like when I fall at 33 while slalom it doesnt really hurt but I guess there is a big difference by adding that extra 7MPH
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 5:45pm
My feel on falls is they look nasty, but some are not painfull at all, you go so fast that you actually bounce or plane over the surface of the water and that really minimize the pain..only hard falls i had were the scorpions though...that are like hitting a concrete wall..lol...
some bad fall in wakeboard are 10 times more painfull than simple BF faceplants...
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 6:29pm
Barefoot falls...its a part of barefooting. As you get better you fall less but you usually fall harder...I have a very unscientific formula of 1 out of 100 falls you can really get hurt, usually by doing something stupid that you know you should not be doing or just goofing off and WHAM- the giant flyswatter of life smacks you down!

By learning on the shoeskis you can save yourself a lot of pain. Shoeskis have you running from 20 up to about 36 depending what you are doing.

In a good barefoot suit most barefoot falls do not hurt and some are enjoyable. These suits really do a great job of holding your arms and legs on in a crash. Neck braces are under rated, even the $43 one from LakeElmoSports. It does the job. For me it's part of my uniform.
The worst falls come from one foot front wakes at over 45mph. you'll flip a couple times...face.. feet.. face.. feet. The second time your feet hit the water slaps them hard. (My goggles are wrapped around my neck about now LOL)

Some falls you see stars.
It's never a good idea to try to "catch" yourself using a foot or hand or arm. The water will try to rip it off, you can jack a shoulder from your arm catching.

Once I sat down low behind my shoeskis and one shoe caught and I ran over my leg and twisted my knee really good took 2 months to feel OK. There was no reason to ride like that I was just goofing off...so its better to take it very seriously. If you are using shoes then be practicing barefoot manuevers/tricks/turns/onefoots.

The back toehold- I have caught the heel and pulled a hamstring so bad it was all black and blue and yellow I limped for a couple months after that.

The flip- I learned to flip and have some on video tape somewhere and also have me choking on a wake to wake flip and landing upside down and having my knee hit me in the forehead and tear open my face almost to the inside corner of my eye. 14 stitches. my knee hurt worse.

But usually the falls are nothing much   
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 6:53pm
nice post andy!!!

well I received a gopro yesterday....looks like I will have videos from another angle....
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 7:03pm
good advice, trust me I am taking is seriously, not too seriously that I am not going to try. I am doing my homework, as you can see, making sure I have the proper equipment and have been watching videos and reading to make sure I dont make a dumb mistake. And of course, getting all the advice I can get. I have another 4 weeks to get my ducks lined up.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 7:04pm
I pretty much concur with GlassSeeker on barefoot falls: they are part of the deal. Don't be afraid of them, though. At first you don't even see them coming. Now, it is all slow motion: you see them coming and can prepare. I have take what lloks like a brutal fall at 43 that felt like a jump off the dock; an I have take a backwards fall on shoe skis at 30 that I saw stars.

Bottom line is to not exceed your abilities by too much, don't ski tired, avoid crappy conditions, and don't do stupid stuff. Good gear, good driving, and heads up skiing will keep you safe. I do not worry about getting hurt too much. I will be 49 years old in sept. and picked this sport up at 45 years old.
Got Foot?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 7:10pm

... you'll flip a couple times...face.. feet.. face.. feet. The second time your feet hit the water slaps them hard. (My goggles are wrapped around my neck about now LOL)

Speaking of slapping your feet. See my move at 3:17. That one stung.

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 7:11pm
Justin:

You may want to buy this DVD, too:

Instructional DVD

I bought it before I hooked up with other footers, and had access to any coaching. I still refer back to it. Lane Bowers is safe, and this video will teach you a lot. Good footage on how to barefoot off a kneeboard, too.
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 7:19pm
Nice Video, Larry. VERY entertaining. You had NO hope on that bomb-out at 3:17. Nice headpacker; man of my own heart!!! LOL.
Got Foot?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 7:29pm
I just checked out a couple clips on youtube, especially the deep water start one, very informative, may have to get my hands on that. Wish I could find it cheaper though, 40 bucks. Ouch.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 7:35pm

You had NO hope on that bomb-out at 3:17.

No, I didn't. Hadnt done one in probably 10-12 years. Was out with Brad, Keith and Tim and since they had never seen it done "live" I thought I would "show 'em how its done" FAIL. And then Tim, who had never done it before, gives it a shot at the end of the clip and skis away from it, first try. I went home and relearned it the following weekend off the short line, but gotta admit, havent done it in a few years again. Maybe this weekend, just to see if I still got it.

That was about 4 years ago and I still have a vivid memory of how my feet felt after that second slap that Andy referred to .
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 8:02pm
Never tried that trick myself. Very high cool factor though. That video is a lot of fun to watch. Reminds me of all the good times on the water. Always stoked to see the wives get in on the footing, too!
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 8:20pm
what we strive for

This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 8:57pm
Speaking of Davis Small: not sure if I posted this one or not. Test the link to see if it plays, I have heard some people get a "video blocked" notice due to the music track.

Note: David was in the boat from 9 AM to nearly 7 PM WITHOUT a break coaching us, and rips this run with out even stretching or anything. Amazing!

David on the Delta!
Got Foot?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 1:02am
"Blocked in our Country"!! Were is that number for Seal Team 6???
...those who have fallen and those who will.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 2:25am

Never tried that trick myself. Very high cool factor though. That video is a lot of fun to watch. Reminds me of all the good times on the water. Always stoked to see the wives get in on the footing, too!

Historic bombout. This video ia from about 1995, a day I hooked up with the old high school friend of mine who I learned to barefoot with in 1972.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/lhine763/?action=view¤t=tj-tlh-91.mp4
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 1:23pm

Speaking of Davis Small: not sure if I posted this one or not. Test the link to see if it plays, I have heard some people get a "video blocked" notice due to the music track.

Note: David was in the boat from 9 AM to nearly 7 PM WITHOUT a break coaching us, and rips this run with out even stretching or anything. Amazing!

David on the Delta!

blocked in my country, due to EMI..copyrighted track..
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

blocked in my country, due to EMI..copyrighted track..

Hmmm.

Seems to be the same in my country too. Couldn't watch it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 2:09am
Hey Lakeboy,
yeah it does not work- post it again with new music please, and don't you have more vids to post yet? I think you got a sick longline sideslide that I did for David in Lost No?

here is a good example of beginner progression

This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4950515253 152>
  Share Topic