NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#2 trailer work

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 14>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 11:02pm
I've got an original CC jack on the Mustang trailer and one that is fairly similar to an original on the Classic trailer that the PO went to great expense to duplicate, but I like those Fulton jacks better. They jack faster and fold out of the way.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 11:25am
GaryS- the CC Trailer Decal--You just like that Blue better or have you not gotten the CC Chrome Decal for it?
I didn't send you any?
Man, I can't keep up with those 50 that I just sent off to everyone, probably gave 50 away too!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 4:20pm
Guidepoles

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 4:25pm
Interesting drawing Bruce. Are these for the 70's era guide poles? Mine are mounted to a plate running 6" out from the trailer frame.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 4:28pm
Mid 60's. They are welded to plates that bolt to the side of the trailer rails.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 4:31pm
Yours look custom Gary.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Yours look custom Gary.

Mine must be too

Edit* Must be more than one option

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Interesting drawing Bruce. Are these for the 70's era guide poles? Mine are mounted to a plate running 6" out from the trailer frame.

Chris; Yours are more like Dad's on the 64, and I know his are original...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 4:43pm
Actually, Ive seen more trailers from the 60's with Gary's style of guides than Bruce's. If CC only made one type, Id say Bruce's were added later, as they do look exactly like the ones used in the 70's-80's. Its possible that both types are original though... we all know how consistent CC was.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 4:46pm
This is what's on our '62.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

These look much wider and seem like they would let you ride up on the fenders if you were off center. I would think the guides like Gary and I have are a little more narrow. I would guess they were made with the plate on the bottom to compensate for the tighter turn coming off the trailer rails and going up?
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 4:51pm
Here is a pic of Dad's

So when did they put the "Correct Craft" stickers on the trailers, I know we never had one of those either.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 4:55pm

Now that looks a little different than anything I've seen.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 4:59pm

It looks the same as yours and Gary's to me... just missing the extra angle support. Some seem to have it, others dont.

I agree that having the guides narrower is a good thing. Our BFN and my '81 both had guides that would touch the rubrail when the boat was on the trailer. Both the guide itself and the trailer frame flexes enough for there to be some play when loading. I made my Tique guides too wide (~6" of space on either side) and if I know that if I wasnt careful, I could have ended up on a fender.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 5:00pm

I don't really like them. I've covered them with hose. They can be helpful, unless the ramp is steep, then you can't see them when you bring the boat in. I've got a friend that has a 66 Wildcat that has the same stubby guides.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 6:21pm
I should stay out of the 60s and 70s stuff. No offense to anyone who owns those guides, but WTF kind of design is that? Terribly labor intenstive.

Touching the rubrail is ok with the boat fully supported because the guides are wider at the top and when it's deep in the water there is plenty of room to drive through. If you can land on a fender the guides aren't really doing a whole lot now are they?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 6:25pm
I've never had a problem with landing on a fender and don't know if I could if I tried. What concerns me is scraping a chine on the side of the trailer if it's not in the water right. Most older Correct Crafts I've seen have gel missing from the chine.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 6:33pm

I don't really like them. I've covered them with hose. They can be helpful, unless the ramp is steep, then you can't see them when you bring the boat in. I've got a friend that has a 66 Wildcat that has the same stubby guides.

Bruce, it seems obvious to me that yours were cut off at some point- I bet they were full height at one time.

Ideally, the job of the guides would be to keep the boat centered on the trailer- including keeping it off the fenders- but they do still serve a purpose when theyre unable to control the boat that tightly. Its funny to see that some guides are very wide (like Reid's and Steve's #3's above and Bruce's #2) and some are very tight (like my '79 and '81). I ended up making my Tique's too wide and took out one of the carpeted fender bumpers- but they were still better than nothing. Making sure my Skier is centered on the trailer (no guides) is sort of a pain- I have to carefully check both sides of the boat as it starts to come out of the water to make sure I dont end up too close to a fender.

The 70's trailers with the wider, square fenders require you to have the boat dead nuts... the 60's versions with the round fenders allow a little more slop.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 6:47pm
On Dad's Ski Nautique, your bigger concern is keeping the spray rail on top of the trailer. If you don't center your weight in the boat, as you bring the boat forward on the trailer, its easy to get the spray rail under the bunk. When loading you alway get an okay from the car driver before powering up on to the trailer (there now I can touch off the whole "power loading" debate ) The bunks provide more guidance then the guide posts, at least with the Ski Nautique. Then once you drive out the boat actually settles over the fender. I don't believe you could hit the fender while loading.

The 98 Sport is a whole different animal...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 11:06pm
Don't you guy's work???
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2010 at 2:24am
We're multi-talented Gary. Thats what the popcorn generation is all about, right?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2010 at 11:08pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2010 at 12:22am
Well, started on the #2 today guys. Sunny and 72' F
Used 1 pint of POR-15 semi-gloss black. Did everything but the tops of the springs. Probably could've done the tops, but I kinda put like 3 coats on the sides and fenders. Post some pics tomorrow. 9 am - 8 pm .

Had to stop for 2 hours for the grandson-Bradyn's 6th B-Day Party
I'm gonna use the 'new' Flex-Cote White POR-15 Paint. A quart of it should do it.
Using a brush and it doesn't leave brush strokes. Gotta wait about 2 weeks for the paint though. I'm tempted to put the Bell Helicopter White Imron paint on it that I've had for the 83 MC SS for about 2 years.
Trial fitting some guide poles I've mocked up. It's kinda hard without the boat on it to go by though.
Still undecided on what bow stop to put on. I still like that v-stop that I have on the other trailer.
66 Skylark
93 SN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2010 at 12:43am
Marty,

Glad to here that the color purple was not spoken about?

Donald
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2010 at 11:16am
Purple Pinstripe---maybe PINK
66 Skylark
93 SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2010 at 12:07pm
Marty, Ill be very curious to hear how the POR-15 Flex-cote works. I have a few trailers that could use some cosmetic work, but Id rather not spring for a $500 blast/paint job. A quick and dirty grinding of the rust and brushing by hand might be the ticket if it comes out OK. I assume the semi-gloss black is required as a primer? It seems there should be something offered closer to the final color (gray?).

I wouldnt worry about the guides until everything else is done- it really helps to have the boat on the trailer to make sure you get close on the width. If you make them too wide, they arent nearly as useful.

I think it would be just as easy to recreate a period correct low bow stop as anything- theyre very functional and you cant miss it when loading.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2010 at 7:43pm
We keep plenty of Gloss Black POR-15 here for the shops and we had the 1 pint of the semi-gloss that han't sold all Summer, so the Boss Man let me have it.
They have the stuff on E-Bay, cheaper that the POR-15 site, but we sell it for about $10 less.
They sell a new 'etching primer' now that is recommended, but you don't have to use it. It just helps the paint grab onto something.
The trailer being kinda rusty, just decided to do it all over. They are selling a grey now, but it's always sold out.
66 Skylark
93 SN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2010 at 8:03pm
Marty, how much stripping do you have to do for it to stick and how much can you cover with a gallon? I have a tandem for our Chris Craft I need to get some work done to.   I'm thinking this may be a cheaper option than blasting and painting
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2010 at 11:11pm
Chris, Sanding-- what's that?

Go to the POR-15 website and read up on all of it.

All you really need to do is knock the loose stuff, flaking rust off. It's scarry but that's what it likes. You can feather some of the bad spots, but it's kinda like self-leveling.
My trailer , by no means am I going for precision, perfectise, or anything like that. Wanting it to kinda look the age. Heck, I'm even thinking about changing the fenders now! They're ascew--bent out of shape some way, like they've been twisted.

I'd say a quart would be plenty. Depending on how many braces you have on the trailer. If it's not, you can always get more. That stuff goes along way. It's really thin but covers well.
It's like an epoxy- maybe even powdercoat like.

I'll try to get the pics up by Wednesday. Went to a trailer place today, they didn't have the hat bushings, but I got some 2" sleeves and used those for now.

66 Skylark
93 SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2010 at 11:26pm
I could not find those hat bushings anywhere but Eastern Marine Marty.If you had a lathe and some nylon you could make them,but for .99 cents it's not worth it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 14>
  Share Topic