NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 San Juan has a new home

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
Author
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 1:58pm
Drain Plug Hunting:

The only Juan I am familiar with was a Twin inline 6 MerC I/O with the plug in the Transom.

Three locations to look:

Transom
Engine Room (doubtful)
V-Berth   (up-front, floor access panel, deepest part of the hull)

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 9:27pm
I would try some strong acid on the hull once you get within 1/8 inch of it!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 9:37pm
Mahogany actually turns into a nice cherry red with just a little wet sanding.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:07pm
Hey Jeff, I agree, the acid wash will knock most of that stuff right off down to the bottom paint...

After that, I wouldn't be so quick about a repaint. It appears there is plenty of it on there to begin with. In looking at some of your pictures, there appears to be maybe layers of paint that came off, and then repainted over? Lots of layers when looking at the pictures of the exhaust area and along the sides near the transom where the green paint meets the cream color.

As you have likely seen, while it can be a fair amount of work, Gel Coat can be brought back, and to some extent, it's been protected with all the paint. In my opinion, if you're up for it, I'd get the paint off and bring it right back. It's easy enough to do a small flat section back at the transom area. You'll be surprise I think...

Keep the pictures coming....

Ultra...
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:29pm
I'm just afraid of getting down to the gel and finding spider cracks and bubbles all over. And, I think that mahogany SJ in the 1968 brochure looks hideous.
I really would like to restore it to original, but I think it is so far gone that it would be very costly. Seats, engine cover, floor, cuddy, lift rings, gauges, etc. would have to be done.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Mahogany actually turns into a nice cherry red with just a little wet sanding.

When I sanded my console Bruce,it seems to be very "intense". It got on everything even when wet sanding. I never polished it though so I don't know what the final result would be. Seems alot of CC's were that color.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:44pm
Give it a try Jeff and see what you get with a small section on the bottom or along the side. If you find the worse, it's not that big a deal to sand it all down correctly and re-shoot it with an appropriate paint.

Ultra
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 12:42am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

Oh, I also tried to find the hull drain but haven't found one yet. Could it be there isn't one?

It's gotta be there somewhere. maybe still covered up with crap on the transom?

I'd second the power-wash with something more harsh before grinders and such. It'll come off....

I suspect you'll find a center drain when you pull the motor. I haven't been in one of these deep hull nautiques before, so it may not be visible.

Hoping to get down to the Fish Tique later, but that grab might push till Monday..

Deep hull nautique? Aw, c'mon..there is a definite overuse of the word "nautique" in the Correct Craft world. A San Juan is the furthest thing from a Nautique. "Correct Craft, since 1925". Nautique since when, 1961? The PO of my Southwind apparently felt compelled to put a "Nautique" sticker on the side windshield which cracks me up. Since it does not have a hull-side billboard, I guess he thought maybe no one has heard of Correct Craft but everyone has heard of Nautique. I say if you know inboards you know "Correct Craft" and if you don't, who cares??

That San Juan has truly great lines, there must be some real saltwater guys on CCFan that can give you the straight scoop on cleaing it up.

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 12:52am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I would try some strong acid on the hull once you get within 1/8 inch of it!

+1 Find a janitorial supply store. It only works when it is above 60, FYI.
Tubing Sucks.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 3:09am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

That San Juan has truly great lines, there must be some real saltwater guys on CCFan that can give you the straight scoop on cleaing it up.

I'm a long way from salt water,but I do have a saltwater boat sitting on the lift in front of the house- They tape off the waterline and sandblast the bottom. Then new bottom paint is applied. 9 times out of ten the whole boat is painted also,it's just the way of life. Down where my Dad has been boating for over 30 years you don't see any that old either
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 10:13am
Gary, "the just a little" may have been a bit of an understatement. I not sure if dhart, the wet sander in our family would agree with that. This is what wet sanded mahogany looks like. Seems like the majority of '67 and earlier Barracudas were mahogany. I've seen a couple dark blues ones, but most have been mahogany.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 10:43am
I certainly would not have a problem with a mahagony colored boat in my driveway. That color looks awesome.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 11:12am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

I certainly would not have a problem with a mahagony colored boat in my driveway. That color looks awesome.

+1 as it's definately a dated color which adds a certain coolness factor if you ask me.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 1:27pm
I do agree Riley, that does look sweet. I like the white stripes at the water line. If I could get it to look like that I'd be happy.

The 1968 brochure really doesn't do it any justice.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 1:31pm

The 1968 brochure really doesn't do it any justice.

The bow rail looks a bit awkward, but otherwise, its beautiful to these eyes! If you arent interested in doing the boat justice, feel free to drop it off in CT and I'll give you exactly what you paid for it, plus 10%!
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 1:31pm
Jeff there is always the option of Awlgrip or Alexseal for the sides and the topside then bottom paint you could easily have a super sharp looking boat in no time.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 1:35pm
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I not sure if dhart, the wet sander in our family would agree with that.

I'd bet he's still tinted Bruce

That brochure picture is kind of deceiving. You first look at it and think nice boat,then the details start sinking in-- Hey there are 3 in the back and they are not all jambed together! Where is the motorbox,I can't even see it! Then it sinks in how big it really must be
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

That brochure picture is kind of deceiving. Where is the motorbox,I can't even see it!

$5 says theres no mid mounted motorbox in that brochure boat... I bet they used the same Inboard/Outboard version from a few pages later. Note the back to back seats up front.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 3:17pm
Your right Tim but in my defence even with an I/O the hull is so deep that the back seat is still flat!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 3:22pm

That brochure picture is kind of deceiving. You first look at it and think nice boat,then the details start sinking in-- Hey there are 3 in the back and they are not all jambed together! Where is the motorbox,I can't even see it! Then it sinks in how big it really must be

And one of the three at the stern, on the starboard side, is holding an enormous surfboard. So this was the first dedicated wake surfing boat?
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

And one of the three at the stern, on the starboard side, is holding an enormous surfboard. So this was the first dedicated wake surfing boat?

Did you see the '66 brochure?

Gary, cant argue the flat back seat, even with the motor under there somewhere... the boat is BIG! Currently working on the justification to buy one! Ha.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 4:46pm
Good catch Tim. That is the same boat. The front/back seats wouldn't fit with the motor box there.
RE the surfing girl in '66... how does she get back in the boat?
I'm going to have to build a platform and/or install a ladder. That rear railing is pretty tall.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 4:59pm

Good catch Tim. That is the same boat. The front/back seats wouldn't fit with the motor box there.
RE the surfing girl in '66... how does she get back in the boat?
I'm going to have to build a platform and/or install a ladder. That rear railing is pretty tall.

Yeah I brought this up like 2 pages back, how the hell do you get back in? haha.

My grandparents own a 23' Cruisers Inc I/O, reminds me of this boat a lot. Except it was wood.

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 5:56pm
Good luck with your San Juan. I know they are a great boat having owned one with twin 302's a while back that went to Chesapeake Bay.

Sam
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by sam57 sam57 wrote:

Good luck with your San Juan. I know they are a great boat having owned one with twin 302's a while back that went to Chesapeake Bay.

Sam

Sam, how was the handling with twins? Time to plane? Top speed?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Currently working on the justification to buy one! Ha.

I'm already there, want a SJ or Cuddy, preferably with twin 302's!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Currently working on the justification to buy one! Ha.

Got you covered Tim- You already have a Skier you could use for a dinghy
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 8:36pm
This thread is going to pass up the Craigslist one by Christmas.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

This thread is going to pass up the Craigslist one by Christmas.

This is fun! Jeff found a very cool and somewhat rare project, and it's neat to talk about all the details, all the possibilities.

Plus, I think about a dozen of us are experiencing San Juan envy right now!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
  Share Topic