Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old Guy Learning To Ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2018 at 2:01pm
Update to this - Finally some progress to report.

Skiing didn't progress much in 2017. Deep water starts improved so I could consistently get up on the first try. This led to more energy for the run. Cutting wake improved a bit but I couldn't get the feel of a turn. I would either turn with the ski flat or fall over.
This year started the same way. I was frustrated. Started watching YouTube videos to visualize what was going on. Found a really helpful video by Jager Engineering. It was an edging drill. You only go a few feet outside the wake, keep the rope taught an turn.
It really gave me a feel for initiating turns and how the ski reacts depending on weight back, forward, different pressures, ect. The fun is back! Such a great feeling when the ski cuts in the water.
Now I'm combing a harder wake cut with a turn. It's a lot to put together at higher speed. Posture for good cut, initiate turn, carve turn, back to rope pull and good posture to cross wake again. The posts earlier in this thread are now making more sense.
Hoping to ski through September here, we'll see what the weather does.

Mrs. Poorhouse update - Continued struggles with deep water starts. One breakthrough last month. She popped up on her first attempt. Almost no bubble. Unable to repeat that until last night. We were in the new boat with has a much harder hole shot. Pulled the rope out of her hands. Decided to gently roll the throttle. She popped right out of the water and less than 1/4 throttle. She weighs about 120, I think we've been giving it to much throttle all this time. Better to learn late than never..

Going to try to get some videos now that we have something new going on.
Sold - 1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
Current - 1996 - MC Prostar 205
I keep doing this wrong.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2016 at 11:53am
Winterized the boat a couple weekends ago. Was out in the shop this weekend getting it parked and the gear stowed.   Gave me some time to reflect on the season, which was my first time being on the water for more than a weekend or two.

Hard to articulate how much I enjoyed it. Hard to think there is a better way to spend a day with the family.

To wrap up our skiing progress:
Poorhouse - Continued to work on improving posture and accelerating across the wake. Never was able to really lean into the turn. All attempts on that front ended in epic wipeouts. Tried to get some video of the wipe outs to share and get some more pointers. A miscommunication with friend who was filming ended up those being deleted and only the glory shots were saved.

Mrs. Poorhouse - Did not get up on 1 ski. Gloves helped but we ran out of season before she got it figured out. She never quite got her front/back balance right.

Poorhhouse Jr. - Didn't make another ride. Got him in the skies for a shallow water start. Something spooked him and he didn't want to try. No pushing on our end. Skiing is suppose to be fun. I think he will be fired up to try next year.

Thanks for all the help, support and pointers this year.
Look forward to building on what I learned this year.
Will pick this thread back up summer 2017.
I keep doing this wrong.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 5:43pm
Great description. Will experiment with that next time out.

Weather did not cooperate to get out for Mrs. Poorhouse's birthday today.

Will be a week or so until we are both off again.
I keep doing this wrong.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 11:19pm
We knew that about the Yamaha, there is a reason for Direct Drive boats! HA.   
Skiing is fun with power or not but direct drives are hard to beat.
Now that you found speed and the wake does not scare you the next step is timing your turns. You are pulling hard through the wakes, it is time to set up for a turn. As you relax on the pull after the second wake you will automatically be pulled upright and then quickly you will need to lean towards the boat starting your turn.   Right at this pivot point stretch your arm towards the rear of the boat and lean into the turn. One arm stretching not two. The second free hand stays by your hip. This one arm stretch gives you about 3 feet of slack which gives you about 1/2 second to initiate your turn with no or little pull from the boat.
As your ski comes around and you have now turned and reversed towards the wakes again your one rope holding hand should be coming back towards your hip where it will join your second off side hand which is still waiting at the hip for this timing. This needs to happen before the full power of the boat hits again as you will need a firm two hand grip to handle the boats pull.
Doing the same turn with 2 hands will slow down your turn a lot and it will be a larger more rounded turn.   The one hand turn is necessary to make a quick turn as you do in the course on short line.   Watch some video of good skiing and think about the one hand stretch and how it works to provide that instant of slack to help you turn, it will start to make sense. The first time you do this it will probably shock you how quick the ski comes around.   Remember as the ski comes around you need to be leaning away from the boat to get ready for the pull . Glad you are having fun out there.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 10:38am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I admire your pluck and enthusiasm!

The instability you experienced is due to stance, basically your shoulders were leading your hips. Exacerbated by heavy bias on the rear foot.

Naturally after an exerting deepwater start, you are all out of sorts.

One must reset
With knees bent, roll forward on your ankles and thrust your hips forward and ahead of the shoulders that you now rolled back. Stand heavy on that front foot. I say that because your going to have to exaggerate the forward bias to overcome this.

That speed looks inconsistent and a bit slow, you should enjoy a pull behind your boat.

Oh, and when you are a bit exerted or conditions less than optimal, don't be ashamed to go out on two skis and enjoy the ride. One needs to spend some hours on 2 to get a 'water sense' that will pay dividends advancing your progress. Some aggressive cutting on 2 skis with good form is never lost time.

Had a quick outing yesterday morning. Forcast wasn't great, but it didn't look like the bad weather would come in until mid afternoon.

Got to the lake and the wind was ripping. Put in anyway and were glad we did. Wind died down after an hour and there were no other boats out.

I got my first tow on the Radar behind our boat. It was fantastic! Night and day compared to the Yamaha. I was planing after a 1-2 count instead of 5-6 count behind the Yamaha. Our wake is flatter and softer as well.

I improved my posture, focusing on getting my hips forward. Then cutting harder across the wake. To all who said that makes the turns easier you were right on.
With extra speed the ski changed direction easily.
The first time I did it surprised me. After my turn I had slack in the rope and dramatically slowed down. I never did get it right to come out of the turn and immediately be able to pull hard against the boat and back across.

Poorhouse Jr. did a great job spotting my run. He then tried out a wood "U" shaped trainer ski I found on Craigslist. It didn't work at all. I think he had progressed beyond it having been up on the training skies. Unfortunately that soured his mood and Mrs. Poorhouse did not get a ride. I think Mrs. Poorhouse is going to have success on the wider P6 behind our boat.   Weather permitting we will be out tomorrow for her Birthday.
I keep doing this wrong.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:29am
I admire your pluck and enthusiasm!

The instability you experienced is due to stance, basically your shoulders were leading your hips. Exacerbated by heavy bias on the rear foot.

Naturally after an exerting deepwater start, you are all out of sorts.

One must reset
With knees bent, roll forward on your ankles and thrust your hips forward and ahead of the shoulders that you now rolled back. Stand heavy on that front foot. I say that because your going to have to exaggerate the forward bias to overcome this.

That speed looks inconsistent and a bit slow, you should enjoy a pull behind your boat.

Oh, and when you are a bit exerted or conditions less than optimal, don't be ashamed to go out on two skis and enjoy the ride. One needs to spend some hours on 2 to get a 'water sense' that will pay dividends advancing your progress. Some aggressive cutting on 2 skis with good form is never lost time.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 11:29pm
Enjoying this thread and the fact that just a few weeks ago you were saying you wanted to try 2 skis and now you are getting up on one already. Great fun. Too bad about the Mrs not getting up. That boat was probably a bit of a factor. As you said, huge rooster tail and wakes and poor pick up wouldn't help her. Hopefully behind your boat and maybe a run or two on two skis first and she will be there.

As far as the gloves, As others have said, yes absolutely. But don't get those clincher/gripper kind. I don't think you need them and I find them a little bulky and ungainly. I think you will find the plain ones preferable. I personally like the half finger ones, but that is just a preference.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 10:01pm
Definitely agree on the gloves, make a big difference. I held out for years but now realize the advantage they give.

Looks to me like you were being pulled too slow. That ski should plane pretty easily so I'm guessing they were only going 26 mph or so. Try 30 to see if the ski rides cleaner. Great progress!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 9:59pm
Glad to be provide some entertainment. I am getting a lot out of the feedback and pointers.

I'm seeing regular gloves and gloves that hook onto the handle interested in opinions on each.

Will keep her going on two. She successfully skied the trainer set that only came to her chest and attempted to ski the Radar and Obrein together. That did not go well.
I keep doing this wrong.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 9:51pm
Good Ski gloves will give you 50% more grip and help a lot. My set is 8 years old so I will let others advise you on what is a great glove today.
Thanks for the update it is fun to follow. Get your wife back on two skis, just skiing will make her stronger and she can work up to trying one later.

Watched your video, first time out crossing the wakes, nice work! You will improve very fast.   Now as far as listening to those snowmobile motors all day I think that would drive me nuts. Give him a ride in your boat he will be a believer in direct drive very soon.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 6:35pm
Nice run in both vids!

I'm not an expert like the other guys, but it does look like you're bent forward at the waist. I've been showing a guy wakeboarding the same thing. Chest proud, hips forward. How fast was the boat going? seemed a little slow for you.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 6:09pm
Home from Winnie early this morning. Landed in MT at 1:30am home in bed at 4;30am. Long day, but a great trip. That lake is beautiful. The water was fantastic. We never got glassy conditions, it was windy all week, but still had a good time.

Brother-in-law's boat a 2006 Yamaha 23' bowrider with twin jet drives. A comfortable boat and fast on the top end. I don't think it has the hole shot of our boat and the wake/roostertail combo was pretty big.

He brought some kids trainer skies, short and wide with a cross bar. Got his 8 year old up and deep water starting, 7 year old up, my 6 year old up and a 5 year old up.

We gave the new P6 a good workout. Boat owner like it. At the end of the week he couldn't get up on his O'brien and tried it. Got right up and had a good run. He was impressed with how it performed. Other brother-in-law is a husky guy. He's waterskied since he was a kid but now wake boards as he can't get up on the slalom. He got up his second try and had a great run. He loved the P6.

I got up on my 11 try our first time out. Video below. This was my first run on a slalom and was pretty wobbly.   Note the spray off the front of the ski I was talking about earlier. That improved as I got centered over the ski and better balanced. I had another few runs over the week. Always took 4-5 tries to get up.    Didn't really get an opportunity to work on accelerating through the wake.
The repeated deep water starts tired out my grip. Wondering if gloves would help?

Mrs. Poorhouse was unable to get up. She couldn't hold on long enough. Hoping the better hole shot with our boat will get her up. If not maybe be her glove too?

Video of my first slalom.

Poorhouse's First Slalom Run

Poorhouse Jr's first ride. This was shot with an Iphone and the quality is not as good.

Poorhouse Jr's First Ski
I keep doing this wrong.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 5:18pm
Congrats Jake, you're making good progress and I like how determined you are to get better.

My bad form has taken many years to perfect! A lot of good advice above, I won't add to it since really like Larry said you need to get out and ski and ski and ski and you'll be able to make the adjustments as everything gets more comfortable.

Looks like a hot and clear week for you at the big lake, enjoy!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 4:06pm
Here's another little something to look forward to. I taught another friend to go on one ski last year. He is very solid now, and turns back and forth, but in broad sweeping turns. Really not cutting his turns yet. But that is where he is now, just learning to cut, and is just starting to get the hang of it. A side effect of really leaning into your turns and making a tight cut is your are going to rocket toward the wake. Its a cool feeling. My friend loves it. But it is also new territory. Keep in mind, I have a vintage boat with a much larger wake than a newer one, but at 32-ish, its not awful. But my friend has taken some good spills upon hitting the wake because hitting at speed is new to him. It is possible to ease out of your cut and not charge the wake, but you have to learn sometime. One of my philosophies about skiing is "if you aren't falling, you aren't trying hard enough"

My friend joined Greg Fossett and me to do some slaloming during Greg's and my LLBD sessions. Greg had a pretty good piece of advice for him, regarding learning to cut. Yes, you are going to practice your turns while skiing, but at the end of the run, as you are ready to release the rope, swing out, ditch the rope, and really lay down the ski to get a sense of how it feels.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 3:56pm
Great stuff! Thank you!

I have no idea what to be focusing on.

Getting comfortable crossing the wake and accelerating across. I can do that.

Will pay better attention to were my weight as well.

I think the rope we have this week has some off will double check.

On a related note- saw 2 skiers on small bass type boats with really long ropes, they were way back. Not making any turns just cruising.
I keep doing this wrong.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 3:44pm
Well said..

The turns are actually the easier part and come more natural. New skiers want to know all about the turns because that what looks impressive to them. The best turn is one that follows exiting the wakes at maximum effort.

Therefore focusing too much on the turn, and not the cut, its foundation, creates an imbalance.

Learn to stay stacked and maximize the rip across the both wakes. Start with small amplitude so your approach is an acceleration through that leaves you wanting more, not a decel due to approaching the wake at a speed that makes you hesitate.

Focusing all on the turn now, is like riding a bicycle too slow, its awkward.

Oh, and you should be skiing at 15 off if it hasn't been said yet. Too many bad habits perpetuate at 75'
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 3:20pm
Spray out the front of the ski likely means weight a little too far forward. Ease weight back a bit. The plus side of that is, most skiers have weight too far back. This results in poor form in turns, something I am frequently guilty of.

This is a friend I ski with. This is an unusually poor turn for him, really cocked it back.

On the other hand this is a more typical turn for him, see how much more forward his weight is on the ski.

Don't think that it is only going to take a couple tips from folks on here for you to turn like this. It takes time to get. Lots of time. Like years. Not to discourage you, but that is just my feeling. The first step is have the confidence to lean into the wake. Even that takes a while to build up the courage to do and feeling for doing. I really think its an evolution vs something you learn, but I could be wrong, maybe some folks pick it up right away, or after a couple lessons at a good ski school.....but I don't think so.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 3:10pm
Good to hear you are on your way!

Your stance should be neutral to front-foot biased. Water should be breaking in front of your front toes. If water is shooting ahead, you are rear biased and not standing on your front foot. Your a big guy and may need one more mph, but it won't fix a bad stance.

The start gets people so out of shape to ski, one needs to reset the stance once up.

Basically, thrust your hips forward,.no more forward. More forward than that. keep going.next roll your shoulders back and lock in the upper body. Roll forward on your ankles and keep knees and ankles, uhm, pliable.
When you think your hips are too far forward, they are halfway where they need to be.

River Rat to Mole
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 2:53pm
Not mastered, I could see it taking a few times to get up next time.

Should be able to get out a couple more times this week and work on the turns.
I keep doing this wrong.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 2:14pm
Congrats, you mastered the deep water start!
Keep playing and having fun.
Look for some videos on learning to slalom a picture is worth a thousand words.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 1:52pm
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 1:44pm
Success with the P6.

First opportunity to ski in NH this morning. Wife was not able to get up on the P6. She could feel the better float but couldn't hold on long enough to plane. She only tried 5 times. I think she will get it with more practice.

My turn next. I tried with rear foot in. It is much harder than getting up on 2 skies. I had the ski going right or left, went over the front, leaned to far back, etc. the advice here really helped. I kept my back foot pulled up to my butt and got the ski to plane. Then another over the front and to far back. On the 9th try I got up and had a good run. Felt much more natural on 1 ski than 2. Was able to cross wake and make turns.
Super fun morning.

Couple things I noticed, spray off the front of the ski if it isn't flat straight behind the boat or on a hard bank. Not sur if I wasn't weighted properly or if our speed was off. Speed was around 32 which is good or maybe a bit fast for this ski.
What is the technique for turning? I was able to lean the ski over and change direction but was not cranking turns.

Did shoot video but won't be able to upload until next week.
I keep doing this wrong.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

You may want a 69.

That's what I asked the wife for but she didn't go for it.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Do you share underwear too?

We both go commando,too late for lunch hope you were at least drinking something
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Yup, that's the only size that could work as a compromise. My Radar Senate is 67", maybe a bit small for me at 210 lbs., but I really like the ski. Not an easy ski to get up on, yours should be much easier.

As time goes on you both may want to get your own skis, You may want a 69", if you get a chance to ski on one you'll be surprised how easy the larger ski is, but I bet your wife will be OK with the 67".

I'm guessing we will. At this point we want to get up and get some experience.
I keep doing this wrong.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You want to see a video of that?
I keep doing this wrong.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 5:16pm
Yup, that's the only size that could work as a compromise. My Radar Senate is 67", maybe a bit small for me at 210 lbs., but I really like the ski. Not an easy ski to get up on, yours should be much easier.

As time goes on you both may want to get your own skis, You may want a 69", if you get a chance to ski on one you'll be surprised how easy the larger ski is, but I bet your wife will be OK with the 67".
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 5:11pm
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 5:08pm

I weigh 190ish wife weighs 130ish.

Based on the weight recommendations from Radar she could have gone 65 or 67, I could have gone 67 or 69. Hopefully the 67 will work for both of us, at least initially.
I keep doing this wrong.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Poorhouse Poorhouse wrote:

Found a good deal on a Radar P6. Had it shipped there to try out for the week.
Sounds like a good beginner slalom ski. Hoping the extra size helps us get out of the water.

What size did you get? No question that will be an easier ski to get up on, and get comfortable on in a short amount of time. I have a feeling you'll like it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic