NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pics of your tow vehicle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 29>
Author
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2013 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Lots of nice tow vehicles posted here. I feel compelled to add my 10 year old gray plastic 4-door sedan tow vehicle. 189,000 miles and less than $300 in repairs. 35mpg highway without a boat on the back, 18-20mpg towing a Mustang size boat. I couldn't find a photo of it towing either Mustang but here it is, the ultimate tow vehicle. Those of you who have settled for a new Explorer, ML, Cayenne, Yukon, Silverado, Suburban or the like, eat your heart out!
I couldn't avoid a couple of photos of it at work

Lets not forget to mention that nice looking field of corn in the background of that great car!! Imagine the ethanol that can be produced.........
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2013 at 11:52pm
Yea, my cousins farm in Illinois around the 4th this year. Good year for crops in Illinois . Ethanol, good for my car and farmers, bad for my old boats.
I almost picked up a hitch hiking proton once, but I was afraid my Ion would disappear.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 12:15am

That 318 seems like such a sweet little engine in the CCs. I am surprised it is troublesome in the trucks.

We have a 99 durango at work with the 318, 289,000 miles ALL towing. But it religiously gets 3k oil changes.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 1:07am

Yea, my cousins farm in Illinois around the 4th this year. Good year for crops in Illinois . Ethanol, good for my car and farmers, bad for my old boats.
I almost picked up a hitch hiking proton once, but I was afraid my Ion would disappear.

Good year for crops here too! Knee high by the 4th of July? Must have been later.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 1:53am
It was a few days after the GL reunion. I think it was about the 18th. Lets give thanks for GMO!
Hollywood and Gary own this thread with those crackered down breezers!

Captain Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Keuka Keuka wrote:

this is cool thread. There are a lot of interesting tow vehicles.

Well thank you I'm glad that you are enjoying this thread.
Live life to the fullest!
Captain Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

That 318 seems like such a sweet little engine in the CCs. I am surprised it is troublesome in the trucks.

We have a 99 durango at work with the 318, 289,000 miles ALL towing. But it religiously gets 3k oil changes.

Wow that's an impressive amount of miles. I'm like you I always change my oil every 3K miles.
Live life to the fullest!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 2:15am
I corrected myself above. I am sorry for the confusion, I mistook a comment about the 6 cylinder to be about the 318.

Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 2:55am

Ba-Dum-Tish!!!

Where did you pick up that uber-nerdy joke?! :)
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 3:38am
Originally posted by Hansel Hansel wrote:

Ba-Dum-Tish!!!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 4:47am

Originally posted by Hansel Hansel wrote:

Ba-Dum-Tish!!!

Is my car still an Ion if it won't hold a charge?
Help, I can't stop!

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 9:09am
You should bond that Ion to an Atom skier!

There is no monopoly on nerdy!
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 10:14am
I can see it's going to be a long winter.....
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 10:56am
Sold my Tundra a few months ago but it was a great truck and capable tow vehicle which was trouble-free for 100k+ miles

Moved to a '13 F-150 4x4 and it seems to handle the towing duties a little better, even with the bigger tires it doesn't hunt for gears as much as the Tundra did. Lot more interior room as well which is nice for extra storage.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 11:06am
Took you a while Bret ;). You just can't hear it hunting for gears with those knobby hunt'n tires.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 11:42am
'Merica. LOL, this one's for you Zach....
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 12:23pm
Here's my rig with the '95

Now continuing on with the 4x4 discussion, I don’t think there is a true 4x4 available on the market today. I’ve been driving 4 wheel drives since 1975 my first being a ’67 Jeep Commando with lockers front and rear and have also owned a real 4x4.
IIRC the phrase 4x4 was coined from the old power wagons when they came with a 4 speed manual transmission along with a 2 speed transfer case with the transfer shifter mounted on the hump next to the gear shift.
In the transfer case you could select 2 wheel high, 2 wheel low, 4 wheel high and 4 wheel low with a neutral in between the 2low and the 4 high. Hence a 4speed next to a 4 speed transfer = 4x4
The crap they call 4x4 now isn’t even close to the original meaning.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 12:27pm
My 2010 F25O has a differential lock so I can get a 3x4 out of it. Good enough for most stuck situations.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 1:24pm
Nice boots Bret! There is a lot of Merica' in that photo. Football stuff, boots, a truck, a Nautique vest, and an American flag haha.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

My 2010 F25O has a differential lock so I can get a 3x4 out of it. Good enough for most stuck situations.

Ford's locking e-diff is awesome!
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 2:07pm
[QUOTE=C-Bass] Love the older trucks pulling older boats. Awesome.

For tow: 05 Avalanche Z71

Small Block Chevy in the truck, Big Block Chevy in the boat- still kicking myself for not buying that boat *&^%$#@)*&^
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Ford's locking e-diff is awesome!

My 3rd Gen 4 Runner had the ability to lock the center AND rear diff which was pretty awesome (and had the separate shifter for the xfer case). The 4th Gen one I have now just allows for locking the center diff with the push of a button, which though handy I've never "had" to use. It does plow nicely through the snow with the center diff locked but at the cost of disabling stability and traction control FWIW.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 2:14pm
When dodge brought back the Power Wagon they installed electric front and rear lockers. They also installed sway bar disconnects.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 2:35pm
Yeah, not too many vehicles out there that offer the ability to fully lock both front and rear axles. I can think of a bunch that will allow you to lock the rear, which is usually enough... Tacoma, a few of the Jeep 4x4 systems, etc. Ive had to lock up my center diff on my 4th gen 4Runner plenty of times, and it does just fine. Disabling the stability control is half the battle- it cuts throttle to zero when it detects wheel spin, so its useless under low speed, high slip conditions (mud, snow, etc). Once moving on the road, I always unlock and let the VSC do its thing. A-TRAC is always on regardless of the center diff and while its no locker, it does use the ABS to slow down a spinning wheel so a non-spinning wheel may gain traction. For the most part, I dont have any complaints with the system.

You guys with only one boat have the luxury of being able to match color schemes on your tow rigs!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You guys with only one boat have the luxury of being able to match color schemes on your tow rigs!

Tim the way I see it you can go one of two ways...
less boats or more tow vehicles
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 2:49pm
Ha, too late for the "fewer boats" thing... and I could never keep up with a 1 tow vehicle to boat ratio! I'll have to settle for a neutral color on the truck- it may not match them all, but at least it wont clash.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Paul,

Seeing your truck always brings a couple things to mind, French Fries and speeding tickets, lol

Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 3:08pm
If anyone is looking for a good "tow vehicle", I have a nice 1996 Suburban 4x4, for sale CHEAP! $2900. 146k, Third row seats, cold dual ac, runs great. PM me and I will forward pictures. Everything works, I bought a newer one. In Orlando.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 3:13pm
Tim, I only have one boat but my rig still doesn't match :(. haha. My truck will clash horribly with the orange boat!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2013 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

If anyone is looking for a good "tow vehicle", I have a nice 1996 Suburban 4x4, for sale CHEAP! $2900. 146k, Third row seats, cold dual ac, runs great. PM me and I will forward pictures. Everything works, I bought a newer one. In Orlando.

That sounds like something JoeinNY would buy... except for the whole "everything works" part! Got any pics? Any rust?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 29>
  Share Topic