Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 99100101102103 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 5:26pm
Steve:

I went back and looked your starts again from the other day, and looked at mine first LLBD, and looked at the boat speed.   If you look at the runs I posted, Willie doesn't hammer it. The acceleration is there, but he doesn't nail it. Once you planted you got a lot of speed, real fast. Tim on the one hand did not get enough or maybe it was too gradual. Maybe try a firm, but more gradual acceleration, and focus on getting bend, the ass up in the air. Just a thought.
Got Foot?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 5:46pm
We did slow pulls behind the Barefoot (earlier videos) and hot pulls behind the Sport (latest video). Other than the crappy water he seemed bored and impatient with the slow so we went faster and now he knows what's needed to get to the next step. Call it a skill assessment? I was glad to see him go out the back (without getting hurt). Now he knows his boundaries. Not sure boat speed is as fast as you think. 3 guys in a Sport and you have no idea the amount of drag he produces. Next set acceleration will be in the middle. No video for Johnny as he had a rough go behind the Sport, these guys have been spoiled with the BFN table!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 6:00pm
Andy - I was thinking about the distance/time thing on fronts, last night - excellent reference.

Andy - I do wear the cup, much to my chagrin in front of HW...

Roy - All the trust in the world w. HW's driving, definitely helping to draw the boundaries, not sure how I feel about his constant comments about the amount of drag I create a guy could start to develop a complex or something... LOL!!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 6:24pm
I gotta check and make sure your leg straps are cinched next time. You're putting a lot of trust in a driver that has only been doing this for 2 weeks... It's so much easier to massage the throttle with Jon, I am constantly over and under shooting your speeds. Clearly you are a bigger guy but its a night and day difference. I'm sure Willie and Andy don't plane out anything alike either.

#bartstrucking
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 6:40pm
I am sure HW is trustworthy. Anybody who can ski backwards, in circles, through the bumps has my vote. There are a lot of things to tweak on the backwards start that can make a difference. The hard part as a newbie is knowing what you need. Me, I like a granny slow pull out, give me 2 seconds once I plant to ready up, then hammer it. I didn't start knowing that I liked that, I just learned that's what worked after successes and failures.
Got Foot?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 9:44pm
Andy has a great point about adding 5 ft. to the short line. Makes for great transition to the long line. I refused to let John even try a LLBD until he was consistent on the short line and extension.

One other thing you might try that helped me years ago. Put a dry suit on. You float on top of the water like a friggin' bobber and all you really have to concentrate on is putting your feet in the water and waiting for speed. Definitely helps.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Put a dry suit on.

Great idea. That video of my first LLBD was in fall. the water was not cold. Willie insisted I wear the suit.
Got Foot?
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2013 at 11:08pm
Ok, folks - so first off I ignored the advice on the 5 ft extension on the 5 ft short line, just too much time to set up the boom when we have limited daylight, I will save this as a last resort. Also did not move to the dry suit, I will be forced to do this soon enough.

Having said that, I believe I have continued to progress. Today was very close. The "Freeze" advice paid huge divedends. I learned today that if I get into that "Freeze" mode, and then relax, really focus on relaxing, I do much better.

Still struggling with the bending thing, Roy I very much tried your method and imagery, again not sure if I am stuck or just have to get more comfortable here before I progress.

Anyway, I am amazed at how much the spray has cleaned up, that alone has allowed me to see a lot more of what is going on, one of the runs near the end of the video, you can see my chest just bouncing on the water, that is close. One maybe two of the other ones, I remember seeing the water beneath me fade away, I remember this when I was on the boom, so I know that was close too. Anyway here are the attempts:

After all that work today, I will tell you I am beat tired and sore; arms, quads, core and calves all are not very happy with me. But its a good burn...

I continue to post these, so if someone stumbles across this thread in the future, hopefully they will learn from the progression, and see how subtle the progress is. Thanks again for all the help!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2013 at 11:53pm
wow..I gotta hand it to you Steve..you really worked it on this set. Looks like you are so very close..coming up off the water on more than a few of these attempts. I should probably let one of the better guys comment but to me..looks like you are really wide on the plant. One of the best tips Eddie gave me was..as soon as you put your feet on the water try to put your heels together. you won't be able to but this sure helps me from planting to wide.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 12:34am
I actually just stressed this to Roy,
Steve your feet need to have you toes cocked back to your shins, keep them there, you are getting your feet too perpendicular to the boat you cannot leverage up like that...poke your butt up, bend at the waist and you can't try too soon...you have to wait for at least 22 or 23 mph before you stand up...it can support you at 25 to 30 ...keep at it
This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 1:20am
Having recently learned this my suggestions would be to:

Get your feet ALOT wider, and when you "think" you have them wide get them wider.
Plant your ankles NOT your toes.
Then push with your chest, raise your ass and THEN start bringing in the feet.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 2:15am
Wow Steve. You wore me out just watching. I admire you tenacity. be mindful of hiiting the point of "diminishing returns." For me, 6 or 8 attempts at anything barefoot, it stops getting better.

I saw a couple of things. I noticed when you planted your feet you would still bounce, so much so you feet would come on and off the water like crazy. That tells me when you are planting, you are still riding the crotch. Willie used to tell me, as soon as you plant shift the weigh to the chest, and pick your crotch off the water. When you plant, you should no longer be susceptible to the bounce because when you plant, your 3-point should start taking shape. As soon as you plant, pooch you butt, engage the core (get solid in the middle) and get ready for the next phase.

So when the boat starts gaining speed, you look real flat and your feet are turned way out. You stay that way on most of those starts, until you lose the handle. A few of them you were progressing, the butt poking up. I know there has been a lot of talk here about planting narrow, turning the feet down. I think the narrow plant is the graduate school of LLBD. I think with a wide plant it is easier to get bent, get the ass up. Also you can get stuck wide too, at speed, and it is not much fun getting your feet together.

Without contradicting the experts here you can do one of two things: 1) stick with the narrow plant, but, you are going to have to get some bite on your feet by turning the feet down AND getting bent. When your feet have been turning down (and they have) you are not getting bent. OR, 2) start to embrace a wider plant and put the focus on getting bent. Not perfect, but it will put you in a position to ski it away. Might need to agree with Ryan.

If that isn't enough, you CAN ski it away with what you are doing. You just gotta be more patient. You get to a certain position out there, and you think "I am not doing enough" to ski, and you force something. That's when you get blown out. The challenge is in getting bent in half, and you are not acheiving that. Go back to the boom, and mentally pretend you are behind the boat. When you do your boom starts, get bent, bent, bent. Out for now...

Got Foot?
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 8:59am
Steve, it definitely looks like you're progressing. I'm still working the back deep on the boom. Spent a few attempts this weekend face down and feel like I'm progressing. Hope to be up by the end of the season. I agree with the others that your tenacity is to be admired. My core and calves are screaming too. Keep posting the vids. It's awesome to see the progress.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 11:38am
Here is by daughter's first morning on the boom and training harness.

On here first pass before this one, the morning lighting was better but I missed the start. the harness/handle was going slack under her legs so she was really skiing.

She Had the strength but didn't have the mind for a pull-up start after four passes like this, didn't roll up well, feet were too extended.

I've witnessed this training method before with first times, its gets them skiing on their feet immediatly and no big splats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTxUdsyLo0g

ok, fixed link
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 11:45am
We've pretty well exhausted the width issue. Take as much as you need and nothing more. Anything further away from your final skiing position is a waste (and quite a danger to injury).

Maybe the drysuit with less neoprene underneath will allow for sufficient bend. That is all we talked about between passes. Bend!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 11:51am
Steve, Like everyone else, I applaud your tenacity. I would have worn out long before that. But, like Roy, I wonder if you get so pooped it results in diminishing returns. I have been paying very close attention to this thread for the past month or so. This was on my to do list this summer and I never got to it, but I hope to work on it this fall and next spring, so I am reading every word and watching every video multiple times to prepare. Watching your and TimB's efforts is very helpful.

Regarding Ryan's suggestion:

Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Having recently learned this my suggestions would be to:

Get your feet ALOT wider, and when you "think" you have them wide get them wider.
Plant your ankles NOT your toes.
Then push with your chest, raise your ass and THEN start bringing in the feet.

Obviously it worked for him, which is great, but isn't his suggestion of wide plant contrary to what everyone else is saying? When I saw TimB's attempts and his admittedly too wide stance, I got concerned for his well being. When I learned short line back deeps, I was under the incorrect assumption of using a very wide stance when it was time to stand. One, it didn't work and two, on more than one occasion it tore my legs back so hard I suffered significant groin pulls, in one instance, pretty much a season ender. With tips from Brad the next season, I pulled my legs in. Brad also helped me significantly with the "don't focus on pressing with your chest, focus on feet in, and rotate down and push down with legs all at once motion" That clinched my short line back deeps. By reading all the posts here though, it does sound as if the chest press is much more integral to the LLBD than it is to the SLBD. Anyway, I am concerned about Ryan's suggestion as I mentioned one for safety and two, it seem contrary to the opinion of most. Thoughts?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 11:59am
HW posted while I was typing, I sense one concurring vote. Speaking of dry suits, that was a great suggestion Roy made and I intend to go that route. I can use all the help I can get. Kevin... I was thinking of BF suit under dry suit for body protection. Are you saying not to do that? Seems like it would be a pretty rough ride without the padding. (I have worked on LLBDs in the past. My recollection is very rough ride and, as has been pounded to death in this thread, the need to be patient....which is tough given the "pretty rough ride")
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 12:07pm
One barefoot suit under is fine. Steve's got shorts and a heater shirt on. BI too, very stiff.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 12:13pm
Saturday would have been the day, but unfortunately I was otherwise committed.

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 12:18pm
Read a few here...

Learned how to BBF with a driver and crew who didn't know how. Got hurt trying to do BBFLL.

Spend the money and head south and learn with Lane Bowers.

Blind leading blind is a great way to get hurt.

I wish I did.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 12:34pm
Well, we've seen your crew ('13 buckethead)and for you I'd absolutely agree!

I think you're calling me blind and I'll have to disagree there. Not even a pro can "make" you stick a llbd. Steve knows exactly what he has to do, if you've got any driving or skiing tips please share. Besides, he's already skied with Lane.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 1:11pm
HW-

Thanks for the kind comments.

I can't do a LLBD. I have no advice. All I can see here is contradicting "advice" from person to person.

Not calling you blind......

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

We've pretty well exhausted the width issue. Take as much as you need and nothing more. Anything further away from your final skiing position is a waste (and quite a danger to injury).

Maybe the drysuit with less neoprene underneath will allow for sufficient bend. That is all we talked about between passes. Bend!

PS-

I agree with this comment....100%

Being hurt sucks. Dealing with it the rest of your life sucks even more.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 1:38pm
Quite frankly it scares me to imagine how many falls it took to progress in this sport 30-40 years ago.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 1:53pm
Yep, skied with Lane to learn Baccerds on the short line (see page 99, on 1, Oct is the video). He recently doubled his prices for instruction, I don't get it, but definitely can't afford him now.

Before we go out next time, I am going to have HW pull me up on dry land, I just want to work through the body mechanics and muscle feel for what muscles have to do what to get that bend. The more I think about it patience and relaxation are what I think I need. Right now, I know everything is locked up tight: Calves are sore today from pushing my toes to my shins, quads are sore from holding my legs straight, core is sore from pooching my ass, while trying to push chest down, arms are sore, will from holding the handle. Roy, I know when I started bouncing in the plant, if I quickly relaxed my quads and tightened up my core, I could get it back under control. I also noticed laying on my bed last night that if you're trying to lock your knees/keep legs straight and you try to bend at the waist, I couldn't do it with the legs locked. I remember, Lane telling me I needed to relax, that I was too tense, I think I am back to that point again.

So again, doing the freeze thing bought me comfort getting up to speed, and those times when HW said he saw my hips coming off the water, I think I had relaxed. With a little dry land practice with someone lifting with the rope, I want to "feel" which muscles have to engage to get that bend - I don't know, maybe that's a dumb approach, but I want to try it.

BTW, all of those attempts were over 3 sets, I am only good for about 6 to 8 on the first set, 5 to 7 in the second set, and 3 to 4 for the third set, maybe a couple more if it wasn't so cold. Also got some video of HW doing a nice flyer, his 3 point was a little wide, BUT I have been studying frame by frame what happens during his transition to stand, and I am picking up a pretty good mental picture. Don't want to be that wide but there is some more insight to the mechanics.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 2:59pm
I think we all agree on

It ain't easy.

You must earn it.

It's worth it.

There is a reason that they say it separates the men from the boys...although plenty little girls can do it too...LOL
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

All I can see here is contradicting "advice" from person to person.

Andy is right, you gotta want it. Willie would say "this trick isn't for everybody..."

I regards to contradicting advice: yeah, maybe. Different things work for different people. Andy and Willie would say "push on the chest" or "fold like lawn furniture" which did not click with me, DMJ said "pull out like having sex" to get bent. That worked. Did he contracdict Andy and Willie? No. Just a different approach.

Also "how to do it" for an experience barefooter, that is, the way he does it every time is going to vary from a beginner, the way he is going to do it every time. For example on my front starts, I used to be knock-kneed, feet wide. Good reasons for a beginner to do that. Does David Small plant that way? No. Is he contradicting that advice to the rookie planting his feet. No.

For once I REALLY agree with Hollywood. An instructor is not going to get you to stick this start. You gotta dig deep on this one and will it to happen. We have all seen Steve's video: So close, yet so far. That's the way it is in barefooting. I saw a friend Mark struggle with his reverse back one foots yesterday. He was where I was at the beginning of the season. I heard Andy tell him the same exact things he told me: shift the weight, move the handle, get the line over the foot. For me it took a lot of trial and error to do those things. But now I am doing them when it seemed like little progress was being made.

A good instructor will find different ways to get you to do something. In the end, we are all subject to the laws of physics and have to overcome them. There is a solution; just gotta find it.

Got Foot?
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Quite frankly it scares me to imagine how many falls it took to progress in this sport 30-40 years ago.

Amen Kevin....Amen!!! Too soon old and too late smart!!
Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 4:05pm
well i have started on this matter

sunday was the day...

water was crappy, but I gave it a try anyway,

i made a total of 7 attemp, 1st and 7 were the best, almost got away in both.
the rest i could not plant...
plane is fine, I have the pocket.
Much better than old attemps were i would go down under as soon as the boat started...
I have vids of 3 failed attemp and not from the better ones...

man is very different from boom...

On the boom Im solid with both short rope+ 5 ft extension...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 4:12pm
on my last attemp I bite my tongue and cheek, and dont know why but looks like i put lot of pressure on my teeth
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 99100101102103 152>
  Share Topic