NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting up on a slalom

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Plus the flying dock starts were fun, miss that.

until you try one, here a snap and feel like you just got the Charlie horse feeling and stupidly try again, hear the snap and get the worst Charlie horse you ever had. The next day your front ski leg looks like eggplant from your butt down the lengh of back of your leg. Stays that way for a while. From that day forward there are no more "flying dock starts"

Care to ask me how I know?

The drag a foot method comes frome having a small out board with out the power to get someone up double booted.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by john_33612 john_33612 wrote:

started one foot out my whole life , popped right up , then one day it snapped , wait till you get over 50 , things change http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=45182

I'm there, and I understand!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:40pm
I'm not sure, I could be wrong, but I don't think getting up while dragging has to be that hard on your leg/hamstring, and I am no spring chicken (57). I think technique might come into play. I have gotten up dragging all my life. (I could get up with my back foot in if I had to, like when borrowing a ski with 2 boots, but that was rare. Unfortunately, a couple summers ago, I was borrowing a two boot ski and couldnt get up on it. Frustrating and embarrassing, I guess I was a bit rusty. I only tried a couple times as I didnt want to hold things up and I'm sure with a little practice I could still do it. Fortunately there was also a RTP ski in the boat)

But anyway, back to my point. I dont feel any strain in the back of my leg at all when dragging. But I dont fight it and dont try to push the ski away from me. In fact, I rest my chest on my knee and just get pulled up in that crouched position, letting the boat do the work. As soon as the ski starts to plane off, I stand up. (i.e. I dont ride in the crouched position half way down the lake)
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I dont fight it and dont try to push the ski away from me. In fact, I rest my chest on my knee and just get pulled up in that crouched position, letting the boat do the work. As soon as the ski starts to plane off, I stand up. (i.e. I dont ride in the crouched position half way down the lake)

Same.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:49pm
Interesting, I'll have to try that crouch. I wait for the resistance and then push up with my leg to get my upper body out of the water, maybe I'm working too hard.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I'm not sure, I could be wrong, but I don't think getting up while dragging has to be that hard on your leg/hamstring, and I am no spring chicken (57). I think technique might come into play. I have gotten up dragging all my life. (I could get up with my back foot in if I had to, like when borrowing a ski with 2 boots, but that was rare. Unfortunately, a couple summers ago, I was borrowing a two boot ski and couldnt get up on it. Frustrating and embarrassing, I guess I was a bit rusty. I only tried a couple times as I didnt want to hold things up and I'm sure with a little practice I could still do it. Fortunately there was also a RTP ski in the boat)

But anyway, back to my point. I dont feel any strain in the back of my leg at all when dragging. But I dont fight it and dont try to push the ski away from me. In fact, I rest my chest on my knee and just get pulled up in that crouched position, letting the boat do the work. As soon as the ski starts to plane off, I stand up. (i.e. I dont ride in the crouched position half way down the lake)

Bingo!

You can actually get over the front of the ski and let it plane off when dragging a foot. With both feet in, you need to pole vault your way onto the water. Way more stress on the body.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Interesting, I'll have to try that crouch. I wait for the resistance and then push up with my leg to get my upper body out of the water, maybe I'm working too hard.

Sure sounds like it to me!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 3:38pm
This is the proper technique I suggest all of you follow:

Expert Slalom Start
84SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 4:20pm
I dont think that anyone mentioned the length and width of the ski. I just started and I could never get up on the crapy O'brien skies that I had. they were way to small for my weight. My neighbor let me borrow a really nice ski and I weigh 210LBS and got up the very first time.......... its was nice the ski was 70inches
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 4:30pm
Yes, i concur, pull the ski up flat till you're knee is agaist your chest. If you can lick your knee its in the right spot, and your azz is just about in the toe cup. Say hit it and push the ski more down then away. Let the hips rotate some, don't try to keep them square to the boat. Much less violence and exertion then two-in.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Wow, that's a rare Century outboard in phenomenal shape! 25HP...?

Quite similar to the Penn Yan Swift which were built on the lake I grew up on (Keuka Lake NY)

I've also got a 75 Mark II & come from a long line of Century owners........good to see another Century on the site!!

Thank you! To make a long story short, my dad bought it in '76 (actually, it came free with a $75 used boat trailer) and he refinished it in the late '70s and has not been wet since well before he bought it. All original wood and hardware. It has also not been in any shows or even out of the garage to speak of. A shame, I know. We're planning to change that this summer. :) If you're interested in the whole story I'd be happy to pm it to you. It's already written. :) Oh yeah, the motor is a '58 35hp Seahorse that I just bought. It never had a motor or a trailer until a couple years ago.
I love the Centurys as much as the Nautiques. Gimme a Coronado with a 440 any day! BTW my dad has a '68 Penn Yan- Would that have been built on your lake as well?
'86 2001
'50 Century Imperial Sportsman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic