NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 2:28pm
If you threw a rod, it's not likely that your motor block is going to be salvageable. It's hard to know which direction to go since we don't know much about you.   If it was me personally, I would do the rebuild myself, with help from the guys here on which parts you need.   a rebuild is not all that hard If you are mechanically inclined, and are willing to go slow and listen to those who actually know what they are doing, and don't mind investing in some tools.   I'm Not a fan of the closest friend's brother deal,   and With CL, you never know what you're going to get, so buyer beware...    To take a line from Tommy Boy,   "you can crap in a box, and stamp it guaranteed, but then all you a get is a guaranteed piece of crap"...   

welcome to the site, we need pictures
craigslisthooker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigslisthooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 3:32am
New poster, long time reader here. I just bought my first boat. It's a 77'CC FN. The hull is in great shape, but the engine needs a rebuild.It threw a rod this week. I have a 351 Windsor RH.

I've been asking around for a good local shop, but it seems like everyone wants me to use their closest friend's brother. I want to use a good shop, but it's hard to tell who to trust.

1. Can anyone recommend some good sources to buy a re-manufactured motor or ship for a rebuild?

I was quoted $2500 for a rebuild from a local shop here in San Diego, not including R&R. He quoted me 2.5 hours on the removal and 8-10 on the install. He's passing me a 6 month warranty from the machine shop, but that won't include R&R if they put in a bad motor.

2. Does this sound standard for this type of work?

There's a guy on CL, motorbuilder71. He' selling this engine for $1600 w/ 5 year warranty.

3.Anyone know this guy's work?

Other option is rebuild the engine with my buddy and his dad. His dad is my trusted auto mechanic. Expected cost is $800 for the machine shop plus new Marine parts $500ish? = $1300. Then I do the R&R myself.

4. Will an auto mechanic fully understand the differences of a RH rotation Marine engine from an auto engine?
\
Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!
Dan

dan-ger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic