Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Latest Project- Barn find SN

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 12:45am
I like to sand blast if I can but on the trailer you could probably just scuff and shoot. Knock down as much rust as you can, you could even use a rust converter under coat if you like. On my last 10k equiptment trailer we just knocked off the big flake stuff with a wire brush and shot right over it.   
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 12:27am
Love the new project... Cool find !!!   I've been dreaming of finding one of those for a few years now

Trailer or other metal stuff = Sherwin Willams Sher Kem    I prefer to spray but you can brush or roll it too. I've done 3 trailers / boat engine and trans / + lots of 4wd stuff all with great results.   

Sherwin Willams Sher Kem.   
It is an Industrial Epoxy paint used for heavy equiptment.   Stop by your local Sherwin Willams and look into opening an account. With 1- gallon of paint AND 1 gallon of Xzylene thinner (for clean up) I was still under the cost of 10 spray cans.

I used a inexpensive Harnbor Freight paint gun.

ITEM 91009-1VGA   [s]$19.99 [/s]   $14.99   

[/quote]
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2012 at 11:42pm
Awesome !! Love it keep posting pics of the progress !!
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2012 at 3:19am
I hadn't posted any about this one, yet. So here goes. I bought this 1980 SN out of an old man's backyard here in the Orlando area. He parked the boat in '03 after his kids left home. I dragged it home, and it's been in my yard untouched for a few months now. Just the other day I got it running. Started right up and ran perfect with fresh gas, new plugs, and rebuilt carb. Today was the first day I had it on the lake and all went great. Sounds great, runs great. Stringers are solid. Everything in the boat is pretty much original including the interior which only has a few minor tears. Not bad for $1000, I suppose. The exterior painted graphics are scratched and faded, and the trailer has some surface rust. My plan was to buff out the gel, find a way to stencil new graphics, and repaint the trailer. But, here's where I'm at:
The boat sitting in the backyard where we found it. The previous owner is the elder man. Very neat guy, he was sad to see it go.

Here's the engine; 350 Chevy (OMC, I think)

This is just a picture after we dragged it home. It looks a little better after a good wash, but not much.

More pictures to come as the project progresses. The boat is pretty close to original, so if I can find the time, I'm going to try to bring it all the way back! If anyone has ever done the graphics, or sprayed trailers or ANYTHING and wants to throw out some wisdom, it would be much appreciated.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic