NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop Shaft Seal

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 11:19pm
I appreciate it sounds like a deal. I need to take the shaft and rudder out to see what size I need. Should know in the next day or so. Thanks
1983 Ski Nautique
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 10:53pm
Ryan,
I think you'll be happy with gortex/teflon packing. It's much better than old school waxed rope. There's a commercial fishing supply on my way to work, I buy a lot of stuff there. If ANY of you guy's want shaft packing I think the 1/4 teflon packing is $3.50 a foot & 3/16 a little cheaper you'll use almost 2 ft.(for the prop shaft) So how about this "deal" E-mail me what size you need and your address I'll pick it up the next day and put it in the mail for a $10- donation to Keith to help keep us together. But you gotta call now cause you know we can't do this all day!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 10:15pm
Adjusting the prop shaft sounds pretty easy. I will look up DIM and see what I can do. Does the drips need to be in or out of gear or just floating? Thanks again...................
1983 Ski Nautique
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 8:44pm
Oh. Yeah, you are going to want to check on that. To do both with goretex, it will cost about $30 total, maybe $35. Once you dig in there, it is really an easy thing to understand and replace. Do not pack the propshaft too tight or it will burn up. Hand tighten, check, adjust accordingly.

Edit: That is a ton of water, you may want to look at your exhaust, etc for leaks. My SN leaked a lot and perhaps would have leaked that much, but one look and you would know. A small hole in the hull will leak a lot too. Found that out in the Mustang.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 8:31pm
Thanks, I have thought about putting a drippless XPC shaft seal in it. Not sure if I will or not. All I know is late last summer I was getting about 3 to 4 inches of water in it after being at the lake for a couple of hours. May be overkill but I just thought I would replace it all to be on the safe side. I would hate to leave in the water overnight and have it full the next morning! LOL............

Ryan
1983 Ski Nautique
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 8:03pm
Ryan

If you cannot get it to slow to 5-6 drips per minute.
Have you tried just tightening down the rudder packing? You can tighten that so it doesn't drip, unlike the shaft packing.
It is cheap and easy enough to do so if you are definitely doing one, just do the other at the same time. You will want to verify the size of both. Will be either 3/16" or 1/4". I use the goretex stuff from DIM, or others. IIRC the Mustang are each different.
You want to stagger the joints, and overwrap it around a dowel or something the same circumference as the respective shafts and then cut at the joint, so the cut is at the same angle, not straight. You will get a better seal that way.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 6:19pm
Whats the best way to know if you need a new prop shaft seal? Iam getting ready to pull my rudder and re-pac it and wanted to do everything at one time. Thanks Ryan
1983 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic