NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting 87 SN Floor/Stinger Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 91011
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 11:30am
I have found them online, in gross quantities however. I drive by ITW Fastex on my way to work, they apparently make these "double ended xmas tree" clips. Hopefully I can stop in one of these days and pick up a bunch.

Are you going to retain the original height of the motorbox? Might want to think about getting it up an inch or so to make room for some bolt-ons if you're going through the trouble.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 11:25am
I plan to go with a more seamless appearance, like the newer models. Wasn't even going to use them again. I am also in the process of converting my motor box to a clamshell.

Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 11:19am
SkiBum, where are you going to get new combing pad clips? Those damn double-barb things are hard to find!
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 11:15am

I set the observer side stringer this morning. Applied a thick layer of epoxy resin, then two layers of 9oz E-gla$$. I rolled out all the air, layered more epoxy, then set the stringer on the hull. I used the aluminum motor frame to make sure everything lined up properly. Then weighed it all down to hold it in place.

Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2006 at 1:09pm

The engine cradle is held on with lag bolts in the main stringers. Once I replace the stringers I will prep the engine cradle by cleaning and polishing it. Then, I will laminate it onto the stringers with epoxy resin and bolt it into place.

I just finished fine tuning the observer side stringer. I will apply two layers of E-gla$$ with epoxy resin on each side tonight.

Bill
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 10:07pm
Okay, I see in your pic what you are talking about. When I first looked at your pic at the top I thought I was seeing where your old stringer stopped and the new one begain. I realize now that that is the aluminum angle iron pieces of the cradle secured to the new stringers. That looks like a much better way to build a boat than the way that Ski Centurion does it. What does CC use to secure the cradle to the stringers?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 9:18pm
The SN has an aluminum engine cradle that also holds the pylon. The pylon is wedged between two aluminum beams and secured at the hull inside a receiver and tightened using two "U" bolts. This cradle will be instrumental in the proper positioning and alignment of the new stringers.
Bill
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 9:13pm
SkiBum, while you're in there this far I'd go ahead and re-anchor the main support that your ski pole is bolted to since your new stringers stop aft of that point. Here's what I did. Remove each lag bolt one by one. Mix up some epoxy and put it in a squeeze bottle or syringe. Squirt the epoxy in each whole and then quickly replace the lag bolt before the glue has a chance to leak out. I used a piece of cotton ball to put over the whole before replacing the bolt in harder to reach places.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 9:09pm

You have to look hard. Everything in the garage has a light coating of fine white fibergla$$ dust.

Turns out it is very difficult to remove a stringer. I remember somebody posted that theirs came out like "butta". No such luck here. I am now over budget and behind on this project and it is only day three.

I managed to prep the hull for the new stringer. It took longer than expected to reproduce the stringer on a new 2"x8". I still have to create the bevel then fine tune the fit.
Bill
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 8:01pm
It looks like you're a little past the good judgement part. Join the club. Farmer
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 8:23am
A great military commander once told me that major victories are achieved through audacity tempered with good judgement. I have the audacity part figured out.
Bill
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2006 at 10:44pm
Bill, that's pretty ambitious starting your project on Christmas weekend. I wish it were me Please post your progress picks. BKH
Livin' the Dream

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2006 at 10:30pm

I just started my winter project. I cut away the floor of my 87 SN. I removed plenty of foam. Much of it was wet, but not as bad as I suspected. Today I pulled the engine. I hope to start with the observer side main stringer in the morning.

I guess I didn't realize the floor was mostly fibergla$$ over foam. I haven't decided yet how I am going to put it back in place. I am thinking about cutting all of the stringers 1/2" shorter. Then, laminating a 3/8" plywood floor with one layer of epoxy and E-gla$$ on the bottom with two layers laminated on top.

Pulling the engine was a treat. In the end, I had to deflate the observer side tire to get enough clearance with my crane.

Tell me again, why did I start this project?
Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 91011
  Share Topic